Old 10-08-2012, 10:07 PM
Neil Bothwick

Default How to prevent emacs from installing v24?

On Mon, 08 Oct 2012 22:28:55 +0300, Nuno J. Silva wrote:

> > Actually, you should be able to mask just the virtual, because
> > everything that needs emacs should depend on the virtual, not a
> > particular implementation.
>
> But if one uses emacs as their main text editor, I suppose something
> will be in the world file, and *that* should be a specific
> implementation, not virtual/*, right?

Yes, and in that case just edit your world file to specify
app-editors/emacs:23, which is what I added to stop 23 being depcleaned
until I was happy with 24.

Not that you need to actually edit the file these days

emerge --deselect app-editors/emacs
emerge --noreplace app-editors/emacs:23

will do nicely.

--
Neil Bothwick

I used to have a handle on life, then it broke.

Old 10-08-2012, 10:57 PM
Dale

Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Mon, 08 Oct 2012 22:28:55 +0300, Nuno J. Silva wrote:
>
>>> Actually, you should be able to mask just the virtual, because
>>> everything that needs emacs should depend on the virtual, not a
>>> particular implementation.
>> But if one uses emacs as their main text editor, I suppose something
>> will be in the world file, and *that* should be a specific
>> implementation, not virtual/*, right?
> Yes, and in that case just edit your world file to specify
> app-editors/emacs:23, which is what I added to stop 23 being depcleaned
> until I was happy with 24.
>
> Not that you need to actually edit the file these days
>
> emerge --deselect app-editors/emacs
> emerge --noreplace app-editors/emacs:23
>
> will do nicely.

I have noticed I have to add select y to your last command. Is it just
me? I notice you didn't have that on yours. Just got to ask.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 10-08-2012, 11:27 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Mon, 08 Oct 2012 17:57:45 -0500, Dale wrote:

> > Not that you need to actually edit the file these days
> >
> > emerge --deselect app-editors/emacs
> > emerge --noreplace app-editors/emacs:23
> >
> > will do nicely.

> I have noticed I have to add select y to your last command. Is it just
> me? I notice you didn't have that on yours. Just got to ask.

--noreplace on its own works fine here. It doesn't re-emerge the package
if it is already installed, just adds it to world, whereas --select=y
emerges it regardless.

--
Neil Bothwick

- We are but packets in the internet of Life-

Old 10-08-2012, 11:43 PM
Dale

Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Mon, 08 Oct 2012 17:57:45 -0500, Dale wrote:
>
>>> Not that you need to actually edit the file these days
>>>
>>> emerge --deselect app-editors/emacs
>>> emerge --noreplace app-editors/emacs:23
>>>
>>> will do nicely.
>> I have noticed I have to add select y to your last command. Is it just
>> me? I notice you didn't have that on yours. Just got to ask.
> --noreplace on its own works fine here. It doesn't re-emerge the package
> if it is already installed, just adds it to world, whereas --select=y
> emerges it regardless.

Well, here, it doesn't recompile either way, if it is installed. This
is weird. I'm on portage-2.2.0_alpha135. I don't run the 9999 version
tho.

Maybe I need to try it again and something has changed. It has been a
month or so since I had to use it.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 10-09-2012, 05:28 AM

On 2012-10-08, Grant Edwards wrote:

> On 2012-10-08, Nuno J. Silva <nunojsilva@ist.utl.pt> wrote:

>>> Well, I am sure there's a emacs command for that
>>>
>>> But seriously, like the other suggested, I would mask that specific
>>> version of emacs.
>>
>> Regarding "too buggy to be usable",
>
> I had all sorts of problems doing simple editing of C source files.
> It seems like I couldn't edit for more than a dozen keystrokes before
> it would "pop up" a lisp debugger window containing an unintelligible
> (to me) traceback.
>
> Once that happened, all sorts of things broke:
>
> * matching brace highlight stopped working.
>
> * Ctrl-XS didn't know the path/filename associated with the buffer.
>
> * The F8/compile command stopped working.

I think you were hit by some incompatibility between additional emacs
packages and the emacs version. Do you have any external elisp files?
If not, did you run emacs-updater?

In fact, I got some backtraces and errors until I ran emacs-updater,
after that, almost every package worked correctly, except for an
external one that needs to be updated due to some changes in the way
font-lock is done.

Anyway, that was probably what made me postpone the upgrade: too much
work, fixing old packages by hand *and* figuring out which other
settings did they change.

(If you end up trying emacs-updater to fix emacs 24, you will need to
run it again after eselecting emacs 23, if you want to go back to emacs
23.)

>> they really changed some of the defaults... it seems, for example,
>> that Emacs is not doing copy-paste as expected anymore (tries to rely
>> solely on the "clipboard", ignoring the X selection),
>
> I hadn't noticed that one, but 24 was so unstable for me that I didn't
> use it for very long before I went back to 23.

I've noticed this one, because I sometimes rely on copy-paste a lot. And
by copy-paste I mean the X selection...

>> and now highlights regions by default, like if setting the
>> region was like doing text selection in a program such as Notepad.EXE.
>
> I have that enabled in my .emacs file anyway.

This kinda distracts me, I've got it set in a way that, if I hit C-space
once, it does not highlight. If I, for some reason, actually need
highlighting, I can hit C-space twice.

--
Nuno Silva (aka njsg)
http://njsg.sdf-eu.org/

Old 10-09-2012, 02:26 PM
Grant Edwards

On 2012-10-09, Nuno J. Silva <nunojsilva@ist.utl.pt> wrote:

> I think you were hit by some incompatibility between additional emacs
> packages and the emacs version. Do you have any external elisp files?
> If not, did you run emacs-updater?

The only significant external elisp I have is nxhtml (which I rarely
use).

> In fact, I got some backtraces and errors until I ran emacs-updater,
> after that, almost every package worked correctly, except for an
> external one that needs to be updated due to some changes in the way
> font-lock is done.

IIRC, I did get font-lock errors when I tried nxhtml. But what
finally drove me back to using 23 was the inability to edit plain C
source files using the built-in c-mode.

> Anyway, that was probably what made me postpone the upgrade: too much
> work, fixing old packages by hand *and* figuring out which other
> settings did they change.
>
> (If you end up trying emacs-updater to fix emacs 24, you will need to
> run it again after eselecting emacs 23, if you want to go back to
> emacs 23.)

I don't remember running emacs-updater, so I probably didn't. But
shouldn't built-in c-mode to work without running emacs-updater?

--
Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! I just had a NOSE
at JOB!!

Old 10-09-2012, 04:39 PM

On 2012-10-09, Grant Edwards wrote:

> On 2012-10-09, Nuno J. Silva <nunojsilva@ist.utl.pt> wrote:
>
>> I think you were hit by some incompatibility between additional emacs
>> packages and the emacs version. Do you have any external elisp files?
>> If not, did you run emacs-updater?
>
> The only significant external elisp I have is nxhtml (which I rarely
> use).
>
>> In fact, I got some backtraces and errors until I ran emacs-updater,
>> after that, almost every package worked correctly, except for an
>> external one that needs to be updated due to some changes in the way
>> font-lock is done.
>
> IIRC, I did get font-lock errors when I tried nxhtml. But what
> finally drove me back to using 23 was the inability to edit plain C
> source files using the built-in c-mode.
>
>> Anyway, that was probably what made me postpone the upgrade: too much
>> work, fixing old packages by hand *and* figuring out which other
>> settings did they change.
>>
>> (If you end up trying emacs-updater to fix emacs 24, you will need to
>> run it again after eselecting emacs 23, if you want to go back to
>> emacs 23.)
>
> I don't remember running emacs-updater, so I probably didn't. But
> shouldn't built-in c-mode to work without running emacs-updater?

Well, I'm no Emacs expert, but I guess it should... after all,
emacs-updater won't even touch it...

--
Nuno Silva (aka njsg)
http://njsg.sdf-eu.org/