Old 10-07-2012, 03:33 PM
Neil Bothwick

Default Locking dependant installs

On Sun, 7 Oct 2012 17:20:05 +0200, meino.cramer@gmx.de wrote:

> I want to emerge application "F", which
> depends on library "A","B","C","D" and "E",
> which unfortunately are not used by any other
> program and are really heavy to compile in terms
> of compile time.
>
> Unfortunately the last step -- the compilation
> of "A" -- fails, which I recognize unfortunately
> but naturally at the moment all other dependencies
> are installed.
>
> Is there a legal and clean way to "lock" those
> already installed dependencies and save them
> from being wiped out by the tidy and clean up
> commands normally used after a general update
> of gentoo?

I can think of three options:

1) Create a set (if using portage 2.2). Add each of the packages
to /etc/portage/sets/depsforF then emerge -n @depsforF.

2) quickpkg B C D E - then it doesn't matter if they are unmerged them
as you can quickly re-emerge them with the -k option.

3) Don't run emerge --depclean until you have resolved this issue.

--
Neil Bothwick

How is it that we put man on the moon before we figured out it would be a
good idea to put wheels on luggage?

Old 10-07-2012, 04:55 PM

Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk> [12-10-07 17:36]:
> On Sun, 7 Oct 2012 17:20:05 +0200, meino.cramer@gmx.de wrote:
>
> > I want to emerge application "F", which
> > depends on library "A","B","C","D" and "E",
> > which unfortunately are not used by any other
> > program and are really heavy to compile in terms
> > of compile time.
> >
> > Unfortunately the last step -- the compilation
> > of "A" -- fails, which I recognize unfortunately
> > but naturally at the moment all other dependencies
> > are installed.
> >
> > Is there a legal and clean way to "lock" those
> > already installed dependencies and save them
> > from being wiped out by the tidy and clean up
> > commands normally used after a general update
> > of gentoo?
>
> I can think of three options:
>
> 1) Create a set (if using portage 2.2). Add each of the packages
> to /etc/portage/sets/depsforF then emerge -n @depsforF.
>
> 2) quickpkg B C D E - then it doesn't matter if they are unmerged them
> as you can quickly re-emerge them with the -k option.
>
> 3) Don't run emerge --depclean until you have resolved this issue.
>

> --
> Neil Bothwick
>
> How is it that we put man on the moon before we figured out it would be a
> good idea to put wheels on luggage?

Hi Neil,

thank you for your help!

Best regards,
mcc

Old 10-07-2012, 05:22 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Sun, 7 Oct 2012 17:20:05 +0200
meino.cramer@gmx.de wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Suppose the following setup:
>
> I want to emerge application "F", which
> depends on library "A","B","C","D" and "E",
> which unfortunately are not used by any other
> program and are really heavy to compile in terms
> of compile time.
>
> Unfortunately the last step -- the compilation
> of "A" -- fails, which I recognize unfortunately
> but naturally at the moment all other dependencies
> are installed.
>
> Is there a legal and clean way to "lock" those
> already installed dependencies and save them
> from being wiped out by the tidy and clean up
> commands normally used after a general update
> of gentoo?

Put them in your world file.

or with portage-2.2 you could maintain your own set of stuff you want to
keep and emerge that set. This is effectively the same thing as putting
things in world but you might find it to be cleaner and easier to
maintain (a cluttered world is very untidy and prone to being cleaned)

--
Alan McKinnon
alan.mckinnon@gmail.com

Old 10-07-2012, 09:04 PM
Marc Joliet

Am Sun, 7 Oct 2012 16:33:08 +0100
schrieb Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk>:

[...]
> 1) Create a set (if using portage 2.2). Add each of the packages
> to /etc/portage/sets/depsforF then emerge -n @depsforF.

Just a quick note: current stable portage also supports user defined sets. I
use them extensively .

--
Marc Joliet
don't" - Bjarne Stroustrup