Old 10-07-2012, 04:58 AM
"Walter Dnes"

Default Weirdness when emerging ffmpeg

Situation: I have ffmpeg on my netbook, emerged without the "sdl" USE
flag. I've run into a scenario where I want it emerged with sdl. The
usual response is to to add the "sdl" USE flag (either in make.conf or
in package.use) and simply "emerge ffmpeg" again. But...

[aa1][root][~] emerge ffmpeg
Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild R ] media-video/ffmpeg-0.10.3 USE="sdl*"

!!! Multiple package instances within a single package slot have been pulled
!!! into the dependency graph, resulting in a slot conflict:

media-video/ffmpeg:0

(media-video/ffmpeg-0.10.3::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) pulled in by
(no parents that aren't satisfied by other packages in this slot)

(media-video/ffmpeg-0.10.3::gentoo, installed) pulled in by
>=media-video/ffmpeg-0.10.2[X=,encode=,jpeg2k=,mp3=,sdl=,theora=,threads=,true type=,vaapi=,vdpau=,x264=] required by (virtual/ffmpeg-0.10.2-r1::gentoo, installed)

!!! Enabling --newuse and --update might solve this conflict.
!!! If not, it might help emerge to give a more specific suggestion.

What is it whining about?!?! I want to overwrite it, not pull in a
second version side-by-side. I tried the suggestion, but no luck...

[aa1][root][~] emerge --newuse ffmpeg
Calculating dependencies... done!
>>> Auto-cleaning packages...

>>> No outdated packages were found on your system.

[aa1][root][~] emerge --newuse --update ffmpeg
Calculating dependencies... done!
>>> Auto-cleaning packages...

>>> No outdated packages were found on your system.

[aa1][root][~] emerge --update ffmpeg
Calculating dependencies... done!
>>> Auto-cleaning packages...

>>> No outdated packages were found on your system.
[aa1][root][~]

I said "screw it" (or words to that effect<G>), unmerged ffmpeg, and
re-emerged it. The emerge is running as I type.

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org>

Old 10-07-2012, 08:23 AM
William Kenworthy

I am coming across this more often lately - last was curl with openssl
or nss - anoying!

Try removing ffmpeg and then re-emerging it. It will usually complain
about some other package with use flag problems so remove that too
[rinse and repeat as neccessary] until eventually it works and puts back
the chain of packages you have just removed ...

BillK

Old 10-09-2012, 12:38 AM
"Walter Dnes"

On Sun, Oct 07, 2012 at 12:58:37AM -0400, Walter Dnes wrote

> What is it whining about?!?! I want to overwrite it, not pull in a
> second version side-by-side. I tried the suggestion, but no luck...

[...deletia...]

> I said "screw it" (or words to that effect<G>), unmerged ffmpeg, and
> re-emerged it. The emerge is running as I type.

I don't know why, but there were indeed ffmpeg 0.10.2 and 0.10.3
versions installed. Doing...

emerge --unmerge ffmpeg
emerge ffmpeg

...uninstalled the 0.10.3 version and re-installed it, which is not what
I wanted. What I had to do was...

emerge --unmerge ffmpeg (uninstalls 0.10.3)
emerge --unmerge ffmpeg (uninstalls 0.10.2)
emerge ffmpeg

revdep-rebuild did not detect any dependancies on 0.10.2.

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org>