Old 10-04-2012, 05:14 PM
James

Default AMD 'Vishera' FX-Series CPU

Dearest FX-8350,

Will I get lucky and be happy (price justified by performance
enhancements) if we consummate our first transaction?
Or should I want for your cousin the Steamroller?
<snip>

Any got Gentoo running on a new AMD Vishera
(FX-8350) CPU based system (Oct, 23 2012 launch) ?

Anyone seen one of these systems yet?
Anyone got one on order? (in the US)?

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Vishera-Bulldozer-Piledriver-FX-Series,17844.html

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20120921231354_AMD_Sets_the_FX_Vishera_Launch_Date .html

Since I'm specifying a new system, I figured
I'd also enquire about mobo recommendations to go with these chips.
Will a mobo for Vishera also work with the new Steamroller
chips?

Does the new pile-driver micro-architecture present any
compiler issues with gcc or other compilers?

nefariously curious,
James

Old 10-05-2012, 08:23 AM
Alain Didierjean

> Will I get lucky and be happy (price justified by performance
> enhancements) if we consummate our first transaction?
> Or should I want for your cousin the Steamroller?
> <snip>
>

> Any got Gentoo running on a new AMD Vishera
> (FX-8350) CPU based system (Oct, 23 2012 launch) ?

I just built a FX-8120 system and installed gentto on it. No problem. Just fast.

Old 10-05-2012, 05:17 PM
James

Alain Didierjean <alain.didierjean <at> free.fr> writes:

> > Any got Gentoo running on a new AMD Vishera
> > (FX-8350) CPU based system (Oct, 23 2012 launch) ?

> I just built a FX-8120 system and installed gentoo on it.
> No problem. Just fast.

The FX-8350 (Vishera) is suppose to have some serious (heat/freq)
fixes due to some enhancements in the core. I was trolling
to see if anyone had any experience with it or some
insight into the Steamroller processor family. No doubts
your FX-8120 is a fine machine. Which mobo did you get?

October 23 is the purported roll out for the FX-8350, from
what I've read.

Old 10-06-2012, 08:24 AM
Alain Didierjean

> Alain Didierjean <alain.didierjean <at> free.fr> writes:
>

> > > Any got Gentoo running on a new AMD Vishera
> > > (FX-8350) CPU based system (Oct, 23 2012 launch) ?
>
> > I just built a FX-8120 system and installed gentoo on it.
> > No problem. Just fast.
>
> The FX-8350 (Vishera) is suppose to have some serious (heat/freq)
> fixes due to some enhancements in the core. I was trolling
> to see if anyone had any experience with it or some
> insight into the Steamroller processor family. No doubts
> your FX-8120 is a fine machine. Which mobo did you get?

Gigabyte 990DX

Old 10-06-2012, 12:12 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

Am Samstag, 6. Oktober 2012, 10:24:16 schrieb Alain Didierjean:
> [...]

from some experience I and a couple and friends had: you never go wrong buying
Gigabyte.

--
#163933

Old 10-06-2012, 12:32 PM
Dale

Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
> Am Samstag, 6. Oktober 2012, 10:24:16 schrieb Alain Didierjean:
>> Gigabyte 990DX
> from some experience I and a couple and friends had: you never go wrong buying
> Gigabyte.

+1 Right now, Gigabyte has the good mobos. That may change later on
but . . . I remember when Abit was awesome to. My old rig has a Abit
NF7. I wonder what will come after Gigabyte?

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 10-06-2012, 12:44 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

Am Samstag, 6. Oktober 2012, 07:32:52 schrieb Dale:
> Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
> > Am Samstag, 6. Oktober 2012, 10:24:16 schrieb Alain Didierjean:
> >> Gigabyte 990DX
> >
> > from some experience I and a couple and friends had: you never go wrong
> > buying Gigabyte.
>
> +1 Right now, Gigabyte has the good mobos. That may change later on
> but . . . I remember when Abit was awesome to. My old rig has a Abit
> NF7. I wonder what will come after Gigabyte?

I am not looking for 'awesome' but 'rock solid' and 'stable'. For some time
Asrock filled that niche nicely. But Gigabyte passed them. I do not care about
1 or 5% performance differences. I care about stability. Gigabyte delivers.

--
#163933

Old 10-06-2012, 09:43 PM
Dale

Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
> Am Samstag, 6. Oktober 2012, 07:32:52 schrieb Dale:
>> Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
>>> from some experience I and a couple and friends had: you never go wrong
>>> buying Gigabyte.
>> +1 Right now, Gigabyte has the good mobos. That may change later on
>> but . . . I remember when Abit was awesome to. My old rig has a Abit
>> NF7. I wonder what will come after Gigabyte?
> I am not looking for 'awesome' but 'rock solid' and 'stable'. For some time
> Asrock filled that niche nicely. But Gigabyte passed them. I do not care about
> 1 or 5% performance differences. I care about stability. Gigabyte delivers.

Well, that was what I was talking about. If I had a mobo that was
flakey or doing something weird, would I say that it is awesome?
Certainly not. My old Abit mobo is still rock solid. I don't run it
much anymore but it still works fine even tho it is 9 years old. I have
had my current Gigabyte for a couple years I guess and it is rock solid
too.

That is awesome to me. ;-)

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 10-06-2012, 10:37 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

Am Samstag, 6. Oktober 2012, 16:43:20 schrieb Dale:
> Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:

> >> +1 Right now, Gigabyte has the good mobos. That may change later on
> >> but . . . I remember when Abit was awesome to. My old rig has a Abit
> >> NF7. I wonder what will come after Gigabyte?
> >
> > I am not looking for 'awesome' but 'rock solid' and 'stable'. For some
> > time
> > Asrock filled that niche nicely. But Gigabyte passed them. I do not care
> > about 1 or 5% performance differences. I care about stability. Gigabyte
> > delivers.
> Well, that was what I was talking about. If I had a mobo that was
> flakey or doing something weird, would I say that it is awesome?
> Certainly not. My old Abit mobo is still rock solid. I don't run it
> much anymore but it still works fine even tho it is 9 years old. I have
> had my current Gigabyte for a couple years I guess and it is rock solid
> too.
>
> That is awesome to me. ;-)

well, there are people who think 'wins in a lot of benchmarks' or 'lots of
features' or 'overclockers choice' means awesome. Good to know that you do
belong to the intelligent part of the population.

--
#163933

Old 10-06-2012, 10:58 PM
Dale

Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
> Am Samstag, 6. Oktober 2012, 16:43:20 schrieb Dale:
>> Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
>>> I am not looking for 'awesome' but 'rock solid' and 'stable'. For some
>>> time
>>> Asrock filled that niche nicely. But Gigabyte passed them. I do not care
>>> about 1 or 5% performance differences. I care about stability. Gigabyte
>>> delivers.
>> Well, that was what I was talking about. If I had a mobo that was
>> flakey or doing something weird, would I say that it is awesome?
>> Certainly not. My old Abit mobo is still rock solid. I don't run it
>> much anymore but it still works fine even tho it is 9 years old. I have
>> had my current Gigabyte for a couple years I guess and it is rock solid
>> too.
>>
>> That is awesome to me. ;-)
> well, there are people who think 'wins in a lot of benchmarks' or 'lots of
> features' or 'overclockers choice' means awesome. Good to know that you do
> belong to the intelligent part of the population.
>> Dale
>>
>> :-) :-)

I would never recommend a mobo, or any puter part, that has problems it
shouldn't. I do hard drives because no matter the brand, we have likely
all had one to fail. A few years ago, I had my first WD failure. Do I
think badly of WD, not really. I would still buy one and have bought
one since that one failed me. I'm sure one of my Maxtors or one of my
Samsungs will die eventually too. These are things that are normal.
Mobos on the other hand, they are either good or they are junk. If you
get a bad one, it will not be stable and do something funky and
generally drive the owner nuts. If it is a good one, they tend to last
for ages unless something external, like a cheap piece of crap power
supply, messes one up. Other than that, they generally last a good
while, if you got good cooling of course. ;-)

Awesome to me means it does what it should and then some. It has to be
more than 'pretty' or something to. lol Looks ain't everything.

Yea, last I.Q. test put me at about 150 or so. Some days I wonder where
that is tho. ROFL

Dale

:-) :-)