Old 10-04-2012, 01:07 PM
Alain Didierjean

Default Kernel compile problem

Finishing a brand new install on a brand new machine, compiling kernel 3.4.9 is OK. Boot from it also. Just a detail: the USB keyboard is not recognized, no input possible (works fine under BIOS or when booting from the install disk and chrooting). I must have forgotten something, some driver. Any cue ?
Also I cant'remember the name of that utility that makes the mouse recognized on the console...

Old 10-04-2012, 01:31 PM
Dale

Alain Didierjean wrote:
> Finishing a brand new install on a brand new machine, compiling kernel 3.4.9 is OK. Boot from it also. Just a detail: the USB keyboard is not recognized, no input possible (works fine under BIOS or when booting from the install disk and chrooting). I must have forgotten something, some driver. Any cue ?
> Also I cant'remember the name of that utility that makes the mouse recognized on the console...

Mouse on console: gpm Just emerge it and don't forget to start the
service and add it to a runlevel. ;-)

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 10-04-2012, 04:30 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Thu, 4 Oct 2012 15:07:05 +0200 (CEST), Alain Didierjean wrote:

> Finishing a brand new install on a brand new machine, compiling kernel
> 3.4.9 is OK. Boot from it also. Just a detail: the USB keyboard is not
> recognized, no input possible (works fine under BIOS or when booting
> from the install disk and chrooting). I must have forgotten something,
> some driver. Any cue ?

CONFIG_HID, CONFIG_HID_GENERIC, CONFIG_USB_HID and
CONFIG_INPUT_KEYBOARD should all be set to y, not m.

--
Neil Bothwick

WinErr 007: System price error - Inadequate money spent on hardware

Old 10-04-2012, 11:34 PM
"Walter Dnes"

On Thu, Oct 04, 2012 at 03:07:05PM +0200, Alain Didierjean wrote
> Finishing a brand new install on a brand new machine, compiling kernel
> 3.4.9 is OK. Boot from it also. Just a detail: the USB keyboard is
> not recognized, no input possible (works fine under BIOS or when
> booting from the install disk and chrooting). I must have forgotten
> something, some driver. Any cue ?

Most USB keyboards and mice require *LOWSPEED* USB 1.x support. This
is *IN ADDITION TO* USB 2 and/or USB 3 for harddrives/keys/etc. If you
have an Intel or VIA chipset, you need UHCI (USB 1.0) support built into
your kernel, like so...

Device Drivers --->[*] USB support --->
<*> UHCI HCD (most Intel and VIA) support

If you have an AMD machine, select OHCI (USB 1.1) support...

Device Drivers --->[*] USB support --->
<*> OHCI HCD support

> Also I cant'remember the name of that utility that makes the mouse
> recognized on the console...

I believe you're asking about "gpm".

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org>

Old 10-05-2012, 12:07 AM
Philip Webb

On Thu, Oct 04, 2012 at 03:07:05PM +0200, Alain Didierjean wrote
> Finishing a brand new install on a brand new machine,
> compiling kernel 3.4.9 is OK. Boot from it also.
> But the USB keyboard is not recognized, no input possible,
> though it works fine under BIOS or when booting from the install disk
> and chrooting). I must have forgotten something, some driver. Any cue ?

I ran into this too : I have an AMD processor in the new machine,
but an Intel in the old one, & the drivers for AMD are different.
You need to install all 4 of the 'xHCI' drivers (not as modules).
Look at the kernel help notes for them when configuring it.

SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb