Old 04-16-2008, 07:55 PM
Justin Findlay

Default Circular dependencies when USE=gnome and emerging world

On AD 2008 April 16 Wednesday 09:28:48 PM +0200, Michael Schmarck wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I'm installing a new machine and use 2008.0_beta1 i686 stage3. I
> use the 2008.0/desktop profile.
>
> When I do "emerge -DuvatN world", I get an error to the effect,
> that there are circular dependencies. Please see below.
>
> I'd like to know, if anyone else ran into this problem and how it
> got solved. At the end of the message, you'll also find emerge --info.
>
> Thanks a lot!
>
> winnb000488 etc # USE="gnome" emerge -DuvptN world

I'd try the merge world without setting USE="gnome" first, and then
later enable it by putting gnome in your /etc/make.conf USE setting. If
you want to be more clever about it/save some time, you can try to
figure out the problematic packages and just temporarily disable gnome
on them via /etc/portage/package.mask/, but that may not be much more
efficient than the first option.

Justin

Old 04-17-2008, 12:38 AM
Roy Wright

Justin Findlay wrote:
> On AD 2008 April 16 Wednesday 09:28:48 PM +0200, Michael Schmarck wrote:
>> When I do "emerge -DuvatN world", I get an error to the effect,
>> that there are circular dependencies. Please see below.
>>
>> I'd like to know, if anyone else ran into this problem and how it
>> got solved. At the end of the message, you'll also find emerge --info.
>>
> I'd try the merge world without setting USE="gnome" first, and then
> later enable it by putting gnome in your /etc/make.conf USE setting. If
> you want to be more clever about it/save some time, you can try to
> figure out the problematic packages and just temporarily disable gnome
> on them via /etc/portage/package.mask/, but that may not be much more
> efficient than the first option.

Also try globally disabling the doc use flag in your make.conf,
USE=-doc. I hit this problem the other day and googled this solution.

HTH,
Roy