Old 10-02-2012, 09:20 AM
Silvio Siefke

Default Brother MFC 7320

Hello,

i try to install my Printer, but in Cups not come the local port. I take
a look in the handbook and have built the kernel new, but the printer
want not work. When i take in the USB:

Oct 2 11:09:28 gentoo-mobile kernel: [ 1756.280126] usb 2-1: new full-speed
USB device number 2 using uhci_hcd
Oct 2 11:09:28 gentoo-mobile kernel: [ 1756.450574] usblp 2-1:1.0: usblp0:
USB Bidirectional printer dev 2 if 0 alt 0 proto 2 vid 0x04F9 pid 0x01EB
Oct 2 11:09:28 gentoo-mobile mtp-probe: checking bus 2, device 2: "/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.0/usb2/2-1"
Oct 2 11:09:28 gentoo-mobile mtp-probe: bus: 2, device: 2 was not an MTP device

gentoo-mobile siefke # lsusb
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0ac8:c326 Z-Star Microelectronics Corp. Namuga 1.3M Webcam
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 04f9:01eb Brother Industries, Ltd MFC-7320
Bus 004 Device 002: ID 15d9:0a4d Trust International B.V. Optical Mouse
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

gentoo-mobile siefke # /usr/lib/cups/backend/usb
DEBUG: list_devices
DEBUG: usb_find_busses=5
DEBUG: usb_find_devices=8

gentoo-mobile siefke # equery u cups
+ + X : Adds support for X11
+ + acl : Adds support for Access Control Lists
+ + dbus : Enable dbus support for anything that needs it (gpsd,
gnomemeeting, etc)
+ + filters : Pull in net-print/foomatic-filters for filtering by
+ + jpeg : Adds JPEG image support
+ + linguas_de : German locale
+ + linguas_fr : French locale
+ + pam : Adds support for PAM (Pluggable Authentication Modules) -
DANGEROUS to arbitrarily flip
+ + png : Adds support for libpng (PNG images)
+ + python : Add support for the Python interpeter in the web server
CGIs.
+ + ssl : Adds support for Secure Socket Layer connections
+ + threads : Adds threads support for various packages. Usually
pthreads
+ + tiff : Adds support for the TIFF image format
+ + usb : Adds USB support to applications that have optional USB
support (e.g. cups)

Has someone idea were can find the mistake? Thx for help.

Regards
Silvio

Old 10-02-2012, 01:09 PM
walt

[...]

Did you include CONFIG_USB_PRINTER support in your new kernel? If it's a module,
is the module loaded?

There are some usb printer drivers (eg my HP printer) that don't want the usb
useflag set in the cups package, but I don't know about Brother printers. You
might build cups both ways as a test if you can't find anything else wrong.

Old 10-02-2012, 03:31 PM
James

Silvio Siefke <siefke_listen <at> web.de> writes:

> i try to install my Printer, but in Cups not come the local port. I take
> a look in the handbook and have built the kernel new, but the printer
> want not work. When i take in the USB:

Does it have ethernet? If so, try to set it up over the ethernet
and save the USB port for windows printing ?
(just a thought).

Old 10-02-2012, 04:19 PM
Silvio Siefke

Hello,

2012/10/2 James <wireless@tampabay.rr.com>:
> Silvio Siefke <siefke_listen <at> web.de> writes:
>
> Does it have ethernet? If so, try to set it up over the ethernet
> and save the USB port for windows printing ?
> (just a thought).

No it has no ethernet. Windows, i have only Gentoo Power in my flat
since one month.

It run, i try with sabayon the printer run without any problems. I
have the printer
at my router, no problem. But so direct want not run, but i compile a new kernel
now, maybe then run.

Regards
Silvio

Old 10-02-2012, 11:01 PM
Silvio Siefke

I has compile new kernel, but the result is same.

CONFIG_USB_ACM=y
CONFIG_USB_PRINTER=y
CONFIG_USB_WDM=y
CONFIG_USB_TMC=y

I use the handbook for usb and usb printer.

Uff. When on Sabayon run, should run on gentoo too, or?

Regards
Silvio

Old 10-02-2012, 11:31 PM
walt