Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Gentoo User (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/)
-   -   Brother MFC 7320 (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/708990-brother-mfc-7320-a.html)

Silvio Siefke 10-02-2012 09:20 AM

Brother MFC 7320
 
Hello,

i try to install my Printer, but in Cups not come the local port. I take
a look in the handbook and have built the kernel new, but the printer
want not work. When i take in the USB:

Oct 2 11:09:28 gentoo-mobile kernel: [ 1756.280126] usb 2-1: new full-speed
USB device number 2 using uhci_hcd
Oct 2 11:09:28 gentoo-mobile kernel: [ 1756.450574] usblp 2-1:1.0: usblp0:
USB Bidirectional printer dev 2 if 0 alt 0 proto 2 vid 0x04F9 pid 0x01EB
Oct 2 11:09:28 gentoo-mobile mtp-probe: checking bus 2, device 2: "/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.0/usb2/2-1"
Oct 2 11:09:28 gentoo-mobile mtp-probe: bus: 2, device: 2 was not an MTP device

gentoo-mobile siefke # lsusb
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0ac8:c326 Z-Star Microelectronics Corp. Namuga 1.3M Webcam
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 04f9:01eb Brother Industries, Ltd MFC-7320
Bus 004 Device 002: ID 15d9:0a4d Trust International B.V. Optical Mouse
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

gentoo-mobile siefke # /usr/lib/cups/backend/usb
DEBUG: list_devices
DEBUG: usb_find_busses=5
DEBUG: usb_find_devices=8

gentoo-mobile siefke # equery u cups
+ + X : Adds support for X11
+ + acl : Adds support for Access Control Lists
+ + dbus : Enable dbus support for anything that needs it (gpsd,
gnomemeeting, etc)
+ + filters : Pull in net-print/foomatic-filters for filtering by
+ + jpeg : Adds JPEG image support
+ + linguas_de : German locale
+ + linguas_fr : French locale
+ + pam : Adds support for PAM (Pluggable Authentication Modules) -
DANGEROUS to arbitrarily flip
+ + png : Adds support for libpng (PNG images)
+ + python : Add support for the Python interpeter in the web server
CGIs.
+ + ssl : Adds support for Secure Socket Layer connections
+ + threads : Adds threads support for various packages. Usually
pthreads
+ + tiff : Adds support for the TIFF image format
+ + usb : Adds USB support to applications that have optional USB
support (e.g. cups)

Has someone idea were can find the mistake? Thx for help.


Regards
Silvio

walt 10-02-2012 01:09 PM

Brother MFC 7320
 
On 10/02/2012 02:20 AM, Silvio Siefke wrote:

Hello,

i try to install my Printer, but in Cups not come the local port. I take
a look in the handbook and have built the kernel new, but the printer
want not work. When i take in the USB:

Oct 2 11:09:28 gentoo-mobile kernel: [ 1756.280126] usb 2-1: new full-speed
USB device number 2 using uhci_hcd
Oct 2 11:09:28 gentoo-mobile kernel: [ 1756.450574] usblp 2-1:1.0: usblp0:
USB Bidirectional printer dev 2 if 0 alt 0 proto 2 vid 0x04F9 pid 0x01EB
Oct 2 11:09:28 gentoo-mobile mtp-probe: checking bus 2, device 2: "/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.0/usb2/2-1"
Oct 2 11:09:28 gentoo-mobile mtp-probe: bus: 2, device: 2 was not an MTP device

gentoo-mobile siefke # lsusb
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0ac8:c326 Z-Star Microelectronics Corp. Namuga 1.3M Webcam
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 04f9:01eb Brother Industries, Ltd MFC-7320
Bus 004 Device 002: ID 15d9:0a4d Trust International B.V. Optical Mouse
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

gentoo-mobile siefke # /usr/lib/cups/backend/usb
DEBUG: list_devices
DEBUG: usb_find_busses=5
DEBUG: usb_find_devices=8

gentoo-mobile siefke # equery u cups
+ + X : Adds support for X11
+ + acl : Adds support for Access Control Lists
+ + dbus : Enable dbus support for anything that needs it (gpsd,
gnomemeeting, etc)
+ + filters : Pull in net-print/foomatic-filters for filtering by
+ + jpeg : Adds JPEG image support
+ + linguas_de : German locale
+ + linguas_fr : French locale
+ + pam : Adds support for PAM (Pluggable Authentication Modules) -
DANGEROUS to arbitrarily flip
+ + png : Adds support for libpng (PNG images)
+ + python : Add support for the Python interpeter in the web server
CGIs.
+ + ssl : Adds support for Secure Socket Layer connections
+ + threads : Adds threads support for various packages. Usually
pthreads
+ + tiff : Adds support for the TIFF image format
+ + usb : Adds USB support to applications that have optional USB
support (e.g. cups)


Did you include CONFIG_USB_PRINTER support in your new kernel? If it's a module,
is the module loaded?

There are some usb printer drivers (eg my HP printer) that don't want the usb
useflag set in the cups package, but I don't know about Brother printers. You
might build cups both ways as a test if you can't find anything else wrong.

James 10-02-2012 03:31 PM

Brother MFC 7320
 
Silvio Siefke <siefke_listen <at> web.de> writes:


> i try to install my Printer, but in Cups not come the local port. I take
> a look in the handbook and have built the kernel new, but the printer
> want not work. When i take in the USB:


Does it have ethernet? If so, try to set it up over the ethernet
and save the USB port for windows printing ?
(just a thought).

Silvio Siefke 10-02-2012 04:19 PM

Brother MFC 7320
 
Hello,

2012/10/2 James <wireless@tampabay.rr.com>:
> Silvio Siefke <siefke_listen <at> web.de> writes:
>
> Does it have ethernet? If so, try to set it up over the ethernet
> and save the USB port for windows printing ?
> (just a thought).

No it has no ethernet. Windows, i have only Gentoo Power in my flat
since one month.

It run, i try with sabayon the printer run without any problems. I
have the printer
at my router, no problem. But so direct want not run, but i compile a new kernel
now, maybe then run.


Regards
Silvio

Silvio Siefke 10-02-2012 11:01 PM

Brother MFC 7320
 
I has compile new kernel, but the result is same.

CONFIG_USB_ACM=y
CONFIG_USB_PRINTER=y
CONFIG_USB_WDM=y
CONFIG_USB_TMC=y

I use the handbook for usb and usb printer.

Uff. When on Sabayon run, should run on gentoo too, or?

Regards
Silvio

walt 10-02-2012 11:31 PM

Brother MFC 7320
 
On 10/02/2012 04:01 PM, Silvio Siefke wrote:

I has compile new kernel, but the result is same.

CONFIG_USB_ACM=y
CONFIG_USB_PRINTER=y
CONFIG_USB_WDM=y
CONFIG_USB_TMC=y

I use the handbook for usb and usb printer.

Uff. When on Sabayon run, should run on gentoo too, or?


All I know about Sabayon is that it is based on gentoo, but I've never
used it. I think your printer should work on *any* linux distro, so
gentoo should find and use your printer just as well as Sabayon :)

I would compare the dmesg on Sabayon to the dmesg on gentoo. I think
that should tell you if the kernel configuration is different or wrong
on gentoo. Your printer should be connected and powered on, of course,
when you boot the computer ;)

Dale 10-02-2012 11:46 PM

Brother MFC 7320
 
walt wrote:
> On 10/02/2012 04:01 PM, Silvio Siefke wrote:
>> I has compile new kernel, but the result is same.
>>
>> CONFIG_USB_ACM=y
>> CONFIG_USB_PRINTER=y
>> CONFIG_USB_WDM=y
>> CONFIG_USB_TMC=y
>>
>> I use the handbook for usb and usb printer.
>>
>> Uff. When on Sabayon run, should run on gentoo too, or?
>
> All I know about Sabayon is that it is based on gentoo, but I've never
> used it. I think your printer should work on *any* linux distro, so
> gentoo should find and use your printer just as well as Sabayon :)
>
> I would compare the dmesg on Sabayon to the dmesg on gentoo. I think
> that should tell you if the kernel configuration is different or wrong
> on gentoo. Your printer should be connected and powered on, of course,
> when you boot the computer ;)
>
>
>
>


I would take the kernel config from the OS that works and use that to
compile a kernel on Gentoo. That should eliminate the kernel being the
problem. Also, compare the outputs from lspci -k and make sure the same
kernel drivers are being used. It could be that it is trying to use one
that it shouldn't.

Dale

:-) :-)

--
I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!

James 10-03-2012 01:06 PM

Brother MFC 7320
 
Silvio Siefke <siefke_listen <at> web.de> writes:


> I has compile new kernel, but the result is same.

Setting up printers is often and adventure under linux.

> CONFIG_USB_ACM=y
> CONFIG_USB_PRINTER=y
> CONFIG_USB_WDM=y
> CONFIG_USB_TMC=y

Sometimes googling (searching) and reading is your
best bet to figure out how to install the brother printer
under linux.


For example, are you going to hack /etc/
(printcap) directly or use an software
package such as CUPS and hack the brother
support into CUPS? <google is your friend>.


> I use the handbook for usb and usb printer.

I just found this.
http://www.gentoo-wiki.info/HOWTO_Brother_Printer/Scanners

I have a (brand new) brother MFC-6710DW, but I'm going
to figure out how to make it work via the ethernet
port. Since you are using the usb port, include that
factoid in your google searches. I keep getting
"diverted" from working on this new install, but,
when I'm done, I'll share the info on a wiki or
on bugs.gentoo.org.

If you document your efforts and then post them to
bugs.gentoo.org
you can get some more accurate documentation started
for gentoo specific installations.


Oh, I just found this:
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-932120-start-0.html

<search_string: how to install a brother usb printer on gentoo>


hth,

James

Jens Reinemuth 10-04-2012 06:18 AM

Brother MFC 7320
 
> ### Mail vom Wednesday 03 October 2012, 01:01:41: ###
>
> I has compile new kernel, but the result is same.
>
> CONFIG_USB_ACM=y
> CONFIG_USB_PRINTER=y
> CONFIG_USB_WDM=y
> CONFIG_USB_TMC=y
>

Hi,

i don't really remember where - perhaps search the mailinglist-archive - but i
think i've read that cups and the USB_PRINTER-module are not working perfectly
together... try to compile it as module or disable it and compile cups with
usb-support...

I use epson-drivers for my all-in-one printer and have no problems... but i
print and scan via Wifi...

> I use the handbook for usb and usb printer.
>
> Uff. When on Sabayon run, should run on gentoo too, or?
>
> Regards
> Silvio
>
>

Regards,

Jens

Mick 10-04-2012 12:53 PM

Brother MFC 7320
 
On Thursday 04 Oct 2012 07:18:14 Jens Reinemuth wrote:
> > ### Mail vom Wednesday 03 October 2012, 01:01:41: ###
> >
> > I has compile new kernel, but the result is same.
> >
> > CONFIG_USB_ACM=y
> > CONFIG_USB_PRINTER=y
> > CONFIG_USB_WDM=y
> > CONFIG_USB_TMC=y
>
> Hi,
>
> i don't really remember where - perhaps search the mailinglist-archive -
> but i think i've read that cups and the USB_PRINTER-module are not working
> perfectly together... try to compile it as module or disable it and
> compile cups with usb-support...

Last time I printed on a Brother printer (can't recall model) I had
CONFIG_USB_PRINTER disabled and cups compiled with the USB flag enabled.
--
Regards,
Mick


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:29 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.