-   -   Wireless connection-sharing with networkmanager problem (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/708940-wireless-connection-sharing-networkmanager-problem.html)

Joćo Matos 10-02-2012 01:18 AM

Wireless connection-sharing with networkmanager problem

Dear list,

I've been trying to get networkmanager working and use it to share my Internet connection with my Android.

I have my wireless card working properly, since I can create a network with my phone and connect to it, using the networkmanager script from KDE.

I've already enabled the "connection-sharing" user flag, and followed the instruction from http://simplehacksnreviews.wordpress.com/2011/10/30/simple-connection-sharing-with-networkmanager-how-to-connect-with-a-3g-usb-modem-on-linux/ (just 4 simple steps), and tried many other configurations by myself.

Apparently the configuration is ok, bcz my wlan0 gets itself a IP address, but my smartphone can't see the network I've *theoretically* created.

I don't know why, the channel is -1 (0 Mhz) (networkmanager screeshot attached), and I think is should be the problem, but I don't know what else to try.

Any ideias how to solve this problem? do you need any other information?

thank you,

--
Joćo de Matos
Linux User #461527

"J. Roeleveld" 10-02-2012 05:16 AM

On Tue, October 2, 2012 3:18 am, Joćo Matos wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> I've been trying to get networkmanager working and use it to share my
> Internet connection with my Android.
>
> I have my wireless card working properly, since I can create a network
> with
> my phone and connect to it, using the networkmanager script from KDE.
>
> I've already enabled the "connection-sharing" user flag, and followed the
> instruction from
> http://simplehacksnreviews.wordpress.com/2011/10/30/simple-connection-sharing-with-networkmanager-how-to-connect-with-a-3g-usb-modem-on-linux/(just
> 4 simple steps), and tried many other configurations by myself.
>
> Apparently the configuration is ok, bcz my wlan0 gets itself a IP address,
> but my smartphone can't see the network I've *theoretically* created.
>
> I don't know why, the channel is -1 (0 Mhz) (networkmanager screeshot
> attached), and I think is should be the problem, but I don't know what
> else
> to try.
>
> Any ideias how to solve this problem? do you need any other information?

Can you please clarify if you want to use your mobile phone to provide an
internet connection to your laptop?

Assuming the answer is yes, you should only need to do the following:
- Configure your mobile to enable "Portable Wi-Fi hotspot"
- Configure your laptop to connect to your mobile as if it's a standard
WiFi hotspot/access point.

There should be no need to adjust anything else on your laptop.

The website you followed describes how to do it with a USB-connection.
That works differently then when using WIFI.

--
Joost

Joćo Matos 10-02-2012 02:28 PM

Wireless connection-sharing with networkmanager problem

Sorry for not letting it clear.

There are two parts at this website. The part I followed is Part #2. you can search for "Part #2:". But it is too simple to be relevant.

I have a desktop machine, witch is connected to a wireless router by a wired connection. But the wireless router is too far from my room, so I want to use my wireless card to extend the signal, so I'll be able to use it by my phone and my friends I'll also use it.

Since I just want to extend it, I guess that I should use infrastructure mode, to maintain all the devices at the same network, using the dhcp server from the router itself. But, first things first! I just want to connect and see it working anyway, in first place.

My phone still can't see the network, but my sister's notebook does. However it is seen in a different way: the windows 7 recognize it as if it were a wired conection ( 3 PCs icon instead of a usual signal bar). But when connected it still can't surf the net.

Any help would be appreciated. :)

"J. Roeleveld" 10-02-2012 03:01 PM

"Joćo Matos" <jaoneto@gmail.com> wrote:
Sorry for not letting it clear.

There are two parts at this website. The part I followed is Part #2. you can search for "Part #2:". But it is too simple to be relevant.

I have a desktop machine, witch is connected to a wireless router by a wired connection. But the wireless router is too far from my room, so I want to use my wireless card to extend the signal, so I'll be able to use it by my phone and my friends I'll also use it.

Since I just want to extend it, I guess that I should use infrastructure mode, to maintain all the devices at the same network, using the dhcp server from the router itself. But, first things first! I just want to connect and see it working anyway, in first place.

My phone still can't see the network, but my sister's notebook does. However it is seen in a different way: the windows 7 recognize it as if it were a wired conection ( 3 PCs icon instead of a usual signal bar). But when connected it still can't surf the net.

Any help would be appreciated. :)

2012/10/2 J. Roeleveld <joost@antarean.org>

On Tue, October 2, 2012 3:18 am, Joćo Matos wrote:

> Dear list,

> I've been trying to get networkmanager working and use it to share my

> Internet connection with my Android.

> I have my wireless card working properly, since I can create a network

> with

> my phone and connect to it, using the networkmanager script from KDE.

> I've already enabled the "connection-sharing" user flag, and followed the

> instruction from

> http://simplehacksnreviews.wordprpart2 #ess.com/2011/10/30/simple-connection-sharing-with-networkmanager-how-to-connect-with-a-3g-usb-modem-on-linux/(just

> 4 simple steps), and tried many other configurations by myself.

> Apparently the configuration is ok, bcz my wlan0 gets itself a IP address,

> but my smartphone can't see the network I've *theoretically* created.

> I don't know why, the channel is -1 (0 Mhz) (networkmanager screeshot

> attached), and I think is should be the problem, but I don't know what

> else

> to try.

> Any ideias how to solve this problem? do you need any other information?

Can you please clarify if you want to use your mobile phone to provide an

internet connection to your laptop?

Assuming the answer is yes, you should only need to do the following:

- Configure your mobile to enable "Portable Wi-Fi hotspot"

- Configure your laptop to connect to your mobile as if it's a standard

WiFi hotspot/access point.

There should be no need to adjust anything else on your laptop.

The website you followed describes how to do it with a USB-connection.

That works differently then when using WIFI.

--

Joost

Ok.

Sounds like you want to use your desktop as a wireless access point on the network.

I never did that myself as I would simply get a wireless access point and use that.

Try googling for "howto wireless access point linux" or similar.