Old 09-27-2012, 06:33 PM
Andrea Conti

Default distcc cross-compiling for OSX

> I think I must add a "OSX specified symbolic link".

Symlinks are only needed on the distcc client, not on the server running
distccd. But that is a trivial matter.

> Which tools / configuration must be set for cross-compiling OSX code on my Gentoo box?

You need to put together a complete OSX cross toolchain. This basically
means building cctools (osx's equivalent of binutils) and apple's
compiler from source. Then you have to do some additional plumbing on
both ends to get it all to work.

An overview of the process for 10.4:
http://myownlittleworld.com/miscellaneous/computers/darwin-cross-distcc.html

Do note that quite a lot of things have changed from back then, so those
instructions are probably not going to work.

andrea

Old 09-27-2012, 07:22 PM
Kraus Philipp

Am 27.09.2012 um 20:33 schrieb Andrea Conti:

>> I think I must add a "OSX specified symbolic link".
>
> Symlinks are only needed on the distcc client, not on the server running
> distccd. But that is a trivial matter.
>
>> Which tools / configuration must be set for cross-compiling OSX code on my Gentoo box?
>
> You need to put together a complete OSX cross toolchain. This basically
> means building cctools (osx's equivalent of binutils) and apple's
> compiler from source. Then you have to do some additional plumbing on
> both ends to get it all to work.
>
> An overview of the process for 10.4:
> http://myownlittleworld.com/miscellaneous/computers/darwin-cross-distcc.html
>
> Do note that quite a lot of things have changed from back then, so those
> instructions are probably not going to work.

Thanks for this link, I have read it before I write the post. Did I understand thr problem correct:
I need a full OSX compatible toolchain !? So I download all Apple developer tools, compile
it under my Gentoo box and add all header files which I used under OSX to my Linux box?

Thanks

Phil

Old 09-27-2012, 09:34 PM
Andrea Conti

> Thanks for this link, I have read it before I write the post. Did I understand thr problem correct:
> I need a full OSX compatible toolchain !? So I download all Apple developer tools, compile
> it under my Gentoo box and add all header files which I used under OSX to my Linux box?

According to those instructions, for distcc use you only need cctools
and a compiler. You don't need any headers as the code distcc sends to
servers is preprocessed on the client.

You won't be able to cross-compile directly on the linux box (you're
missing headers, libraries and frameworks), but that should not be a
problem.

The OpenDarwin project died a long time ago, so odcctools is no more.
The source packages for cctools and apple's blend of gcc can be
downloaded from opensource.apple.com. I have no idea whether they
support building on Linux or not (especially cctools)...

andrea

Old 09-29-2012, 08:03 PM
Kraus Philipp

Am 27.09.2012 um 23:34 schrieb Andrea Conti:

>> Thanks for this link, I have read it before I write the post. Did I understand thr problem correct:
>> I need a full OSX compatible toolchain !? So I download all Apple developer tools, compile
>> it under my Gentoo box and add all header files which I used under OSX to my Linux box?
>
> According to those instructions, for distcc use you only need cctools
> and a compiler. You don't need any headers as the code distcc sends to
> servers is preprocessed on the client.
>
> You won't be able to cross-compile directly on the linux box (you're
> missing headers, libraries and frameworks), but that should not be a
> problem.
>
> The OpenDarwin project died a long time ago, so odcctools is no more.
> The source packages for cctools and apple's blend of gcc can be
> downloaded from opensource.apple.com. I have no idea whether they
> support building on Linux or not (especially cctools)...

This seems to be working, I download for my OSX the correct gcc, run on my
Mac gcc -v and get the target, that I copy the /Developer/SDKs directory, that I would
use, to the Linux box and run this commands

mkdir darwin
cd darwin
../gcc_42-5577/configure --prefix=/opt/osxtoolchain/snowleopard/ --enable-languages=c,c++ --target=i686-apple-darwin10 --with-sysroot=/opt/osxtoolchain/snowleopard/MacOSX10.6.sdk/
make

configure runs, but the make creates an error:

# APPLE LOCAL use -mlongcall for large text support
/root/darwin/./gcc/xgcc -B/root/darwin/./gcc/ -B/opt/osxtoolchain/snowleopard//i686-apple-darwin10/bin/ -B/opt/osxtoolchain/snowleopard//i686-apple-darwin10/lib/ -isystem /opt/osxtoolchain/snowleopard//i686-apple-darwin10/include -isystem /opt/osxtoolchain/snowleopard//i686-apple-darwin10/sys-include -O2 -g -O2 -DIN_GCC -DCROSS_DIRECTORY_STRUCTURE -W -Wall -Wwrite-strings -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes -Wold-style-definition -isystem ./include -I. -I. -I../../gcc_42-5577/gcc -I../../gcc_42-5577/gcc/. -I../../gcc_42-5577/gcc/../include -I../../gcc_42-5577/gcc/../libcpp/include -I../../gcc_42-5577/gcc/../libdecnumber -I../libdecnumber -mlongcall
-fno-tree-dominator-opts

-c ../../gcc_42-5577/gcc/config/darwin-crt3.c -o crt3.o
rch: invalid option -- 'f'
rch: invalid option -- 'o'
rch: invalid option -- 'r'
rch: invalid option -- 'c'
rch: invalid option -- 'e'
rch: invalid option -- '_'
rch: invalid option -- 'c'
rch: invalid option -- 'p'
rch: invalid option -- 'u'
rch: invalid option -- 's'
rch: invalid option -- 'u'
rch: invalid option -- 'b'
rch: invalid option -- 't'
rch: invalid option -- 'y'
rch: invalid option -- 'p'
rch: invalid option -- 'e'
rch: invalid option -- '_'
rch: invalid option -- 'A'
rch: invalid option -- 'o'
rch: rch: Unrecognized architecture
make[4]: *** [crt3.o] Error 1
make[4]: Leaving directory `/root/darwin/gcc'
make[3]: *** [extra] Error 2
make[3]: Leaving directory `/root/darwin/gcc'
make[2]: *** [stmp-multilib] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/root/darwin/gcc'
make[1]: *** [all-gcc] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/root/darwin'
make: *** [all] Error 2

Do you have any idea to solve the problem?

Phil