-   -   OT: shot an XFS-filesystem, oh my (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/707642-ot-shot-xfs-filesystem-oh-my.html)

"Stefan G. Weichinger" 09-26-2012 08:13 PM

OT: shot an XFS-filesystem, oh my

I had an XFS-filesystem within a KVM-VM (32 bit Gentoo, so it isn't that
off-topic, btw ;-) )

... and I did a lot of work within that filesystem over the last 2 days.

Unfortunately it ran full so I decided to shutdown the VM, use qemu-img
to resize that image-file (raw format), reboot the VM ... and deleted
the partition /dev/vdb1 (virtio ...) and recreated vdb1 with the full
size of the underlying image-file.

XFS doesn't like that.

Now I lost my xfs-superblock and xfs_check/xfs_repair tell me that they
find "candidates for 2nd superblock" but can't decide to actually use
them :-(

The XFS-fs was fine before, unmounted correctly ...

I am googling and trying ... does anyone have a hint on this?

If I lose it, OK. No backup (ok, maybe one from a week ago ... without
the latest work of today), but it was mostly a pulled git-repo I worked
with. I got the generated binaries and have the learned steps documented
so I can live with it. But it would be great to somehow get that stuff
online again.

Thanks, greets, Stefan

Michael Orlitzky 09-27-2012 12:32 AM

On 09/26/2012 04:13 PM, Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:

> I had an XFS-filesystem within a KVM-VM (32 bit Gentoo, so it isn't that
> off-topic, btw ;-) )
>
> ... and I did a lot of work within that filesystem over the last 2 days.
>
> Unfortunately it ran full so I decided to shutdown the VM, use qemu-img
> to resize that image-file (raw format), reboot the VM ... and deleted
> the partition /dev/vdb1 (virtio ...) and recreated vdb1 with the full
> size of the underlying image-file.
>
> XFS doesn't like that.

That won't work with any filesystem. I think instead of that last step,
you should have booted to a livecd and used GParted to resize the
partition. I went through this once:

> http://michael.orlitzky.com/articles/resizing_a_kvm_or_qemu_disk_image.php

That won't help you get your stuff back but it might help out the next time.

There's proprietary software that can scan the disk for the deleted
partition. They used to be included on Hiren's Boot CD circa 9.0, but
you could easily waste a few hours screwing around with it. If there was
nothing critical and nobody else has any clever ideas, you're probably
better off reinstalling. You should cherish the times you trash
something non-critical.

"Stefan G. Weichinger" 09-27-2012 08:40 AM

Am 27.09.2012 02:32, schrieb Michael Orlitzky:

> That won't work with any filesystem. I think instead of that last
> step, you should have booted to a livecd and used GParted to resize
> the partition.

Yeah, my fault, stupid ... :-(

I went through this once:

>> http://michael.orlitzky.com/articles/resizing_a_kvm_or_qemu_disk_image.php
>

> That won't help you get your stuff back but it might help out the
> next time.
>
> There's proprietary software that can scan the disk for the deleted
> partition. They used to be included on Hiren's Boot CD circa 9.0,
> but you could easily waste a few hours screwing around with it. If
> there was nothing critical and nobody else has any clever ideas,
> you're probably better off reinstalling. You should cherish the times
> you trash something non-critical.

Thanks, yes ...

geez 09-28-2012 04:52 PM

OT: shot an XFS-filesystem, oh my

Howdy,
you could do worse than try scanning with testdisk, it's saved lost
effort caused from 'experiments' with raid controllers before,
http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

"Stefan G. Weichinger" 09-29-2012 11:31 AM

Am 28.09.2012 18:52, schrieb geez:
> Howdy,
> you could do worse than try scanning with testdisk, it's saved lost
> effort caused from 'experiments' with raid controllers before,
> http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

Formatted since days, and re-constructed nearly all the work already.
It wasn't that much of a loss .. "only" time.

Thanks anyway, Stefan