Old 04-16-2008, 12:52 PM
"Mark Knecht"

Default Gentoo Universal PPC ISO size?

Hi,
I'm going to put Gentoo on my Mac Mini. No one ever uses the
machine for anything. So much for OS X I suppose. Anyway, the 2008
beta, located here:

http://gentoo.osuosl.org/releases/ppc/2008.0_beta1/

is 745MB which doesn't fit on 700MB CD-Rs I have. Are there CD-Rs
larger than 700MB? I looked online anf everything seemed to be 700MB
also.

Or am I supposed to write this to a DVD even thought the Gentoo
docs say it's a CD-R image?

Thanks,
Mark

Old 04-16-2008, 01:20 PM
Etaoin Shrdlu

On Wednesday 16 April 2008, 14:52, Mark Knecht wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm going to put Gentoo on my Mac Mini. No one ever uses the
> machine for anything. So much for OS X I suppose. Anyway, the 2008
> beta, located here:
>
> http://gentoo.osuosl.org/releases/ppc/2008.0_beta1/
>
> is 745MB which doesn't fit on 700MB CD-Rs I have. Are there CD-Rs
> larger than 700MB? I looked online anf everything seemed to be 700MB
> also.

I remember seeing and using 90-min (800MB) and even 100-min (900MB) CD-Rs
in the past. Of course, don't expect them to work on every CD reader. My
experience was that 800MB CD-Rs worked with most, but not all, CD
readers. The only 900MB CD-R I ever wrote filling it completely was not
readable by any CD reader among those I tried.
Don't know whether they can still be found nowadays, now that DVDs are
readily available.

Old 04-16-2008, 02:17 PM
Florian Philipp

On Wed, 2008-04-16 at 05:52 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm going to put Gentoo on my Mac Mini. No one ever uses the
> machine for anything. So much for OS X I suppose. Anyway, the 2008
> beta, located here:
>
> http://gentoo.osuosl.org/releases/ppc/2008.0_beta1/
>
> is 745MB which doesn't fit on 700MB CD-Rs I have. Are there CD-Rs
> larger than 700MB? I looked online anf everything seemed to be 700MB
> also.
>
> Or am I supposed to write this to a DVD even thought the Gentoo
> docs say it's a CD-R image?
>
> Thanks,
> Mark

There are 800MB-models.

Anyway, you can also try to burn more on a disk than it is supposed to.
Don't ask me why it works, sometimes it does, sometimes you waste a
CD-R...

Old 04-16-2008, 02:23 PM
"Mark Knecht"

On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 6:20 AM, Etaoin Shrdlu <shrdlu@unlimitedmail.org> wrote:
> On Wednesday 16 April 2008, 14:52, Mark Knecht wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > I'm going to put Gentoo on my Mac Mini. No one ever uses the
> > machine for anything. So much for OS X I suppose. Anyway, the 2008
> > beta, located here:
> >
> > http://gentoo.osuosl.org/releases/ppc/2008.0_beta1/
> >
> > is 745MB which doesn't fit on 700MB CD-Rs I have. Are there CD-Rs
> > larger than 700MB? I looked online anf everything seemed to be 700MB
> > also.
>
> I remember seeing and using 90-min (800MB) and even 100-min (900MB) CD-Rs
> in the past. Of course, don't expect them to work on every CD reader. My
> experience was that 800MB CD-Rs worked with most, but not all, CD
> readers. The only 900MB CD-R I ever wrote filling it completely was not
> readable by any CD reader among those I tried.
> Don't know whether they can still be found nowadays, now that DVDs are
> readily available.

Thanks. I'll check that out.

Do you know if it's legal to write a CD-R iso image to a DVD? I assume
it isn't.... (Guess I could just try it when I get a few minutes.)

In the short term the easist thing to do was to download the 2007.0
iso as it doesn't have this issue since it's smaller.

Thanks,
Mark

Old 04-16-2008, 02:24 PM
"Mark Knecht"

On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 7:17 AM, Florian Philipp
<lists@f_philipp.fastmail.net> wrote:

> On Wed, 2008-04-16 at 05:52 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I'm going to put Gentoo on my Mac Mini. No one ever uses the
> > machine for anything. So much for OS X I suppose. Anyway, the 2008
> > beta, located here:
> >
> > http://gentoo.osuosl.org/releases/ppc/2008.0_beta1/
> >
> > is 745MB which doesn't fit on 700MB CD-Rs I have. Are there CD-Rs
> > larger than 700MB? I looked online anf everything seemed to be 700MB
> > also.
> >
> > Or am I supposed to write this to a DVD even thought the Gentoo
> > docs say it's a CD-R image?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Mark
>
> There are 800MB-models.
>
> Anyway, you can also try to burn more on a disk than it is supposed to.
> Don't ask me why it works, sometimes it does, sometimes you waste a
> CD-R...

K3b didn't seem to allow that. thanks for the info on the 800MB versions.

- Mark