Old 09-24-2012, 05:18 PM
Andrew Lowe

Default nfs server sometimes not available - timeo and retrans

Hi all,
Just want to check something with those much more knowledgeable that I
am. I have a media computer which exports the media as nfs4 shares. My
workstation in turn mounts these - it's the only device that does this.
If the media device is not on, and exporting these shares, the
workstation gets caught up in the boot process, timing out and retrying,
trying to find the nonexistant nfs shares, which takes ages.

Is the correct things to fiddle to try and tune this the timeo and
retrans variables in fstab? I want it to time out after 10 seconds and
no retries. I'm thinking the mount entries become:

192.168.14.1:/movies /mnt/movies nfs4 rw,timeo=100,retrans=0 0 0

Does that look right? Am I fiddling the correct stuff?

Any thoughts, greatly appreciated,
Andrew

Old 09-24-2012, 10:43 PM
walt

Hi all, Just want to check something with those much more
knowledgeable that I am. I have a media computer which exports the
media as nfs4 shares. My workstation in turn mounts these - it's the
only device that does this. If the media device is not on, and
exporting these shares, the workstation gets caught up in the boot
process, timing out and retrying, trying to find the nonexistant nfs
shares, which takes ages.

Is the correct things to fiddle to try and tune this the timeo and
retrans variables in fstab? I want it to time out after 10 seconds
and no retries. I'm thinking the mount entries become:

... ... ... 192.168.14.1:/movies /mnt/movies nfs4
rw,timeo=100,retrans=0 0 0 ... ... ...

I find that I had to use actimeo=n instead of just timeo because (apparently)
there are several different timers involved in nfs mounting. (man 5 nfs)