-   -   OT: new printer suggestions? (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/706803-ot-new-printer-suggestions.html)

James 09-24-2012 12:34 AM

OT: new printer suggestions?

Hello,

I've mostly had HP printers over the years.
I have a HP officejet 8500 that is just cannot not do
everything I need. I have googled for hours
and only found what I like, in a Brother printer
(Brother MFC-J6710DW Inkjet All-in-One Printer)

I have never owned a brother printers....so

1. Does it work well with CUPS/linux?
2. Are they reliable for a small workgroup?
3. Are the color cartridges reasonable priced?

Here is what my needs are:

dual trays (letter size and 11"x 17")
prints envelops easily (#10 mostly)
dual sided printing
color

less than 500.00 and reliable for small quantity.

Any suggestions? It must work well with Cups over ethernet
as well as with winblows (7 and 8).....

thoughts?

James

Joseph 09-24-2012 02:01 PM

OT: new printer suggestions?

I've mostly had HP printers over the years.
I have a HP officejet 8500 that is just cannot not do
everything I need. I have googled for hours
and only found what I like, in a Brother printer
(Brother MFC-J6710DW Inkjet All-in-One Printer)

I have never owned a brother printers....so

1. Does it work well with CUPS/linux?
2. Are they reliable for a small workgroup?
3. Are the color cartridges reasonable priced?

Here is what my needs are:

dual trays (letter size and 11"x 17")
prints envelops easily (#10 mostly)
dual sided printing
color

less than 500.00 and reliable for small quantity.

Any suggestions? It must work well with Cups over ethernet
as well as with winblows (7 and 8).....

thoughts?

James

I'm using brother B/W laser printers and all I can say is that Brother have "CRAPPY" printer drivers.
Here is one of my experiences:
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-909052-highlight-brother.html

No, duplex does not work correctly with Brother printer divers on Linux.

--
Joseph

Michael Mol 09-24-2012 02:32 PM

OT: new printer suggestions?

On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 10:01 AM, Joseph <syscon780@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 09/24/12 00:34, James wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I've mostly had HP printers over the years.
>> I have a HP officejet 8500 that is just cannot not do
>> everything I need. I have googled for hours
>> and only found what I like, in a Brother printer
>> (Brother MFC-J6710DW Inkjet All-in-One Printer)
>>
>> I have never owned a brother printers....so
>>
>> 1. Does it work well with CUPS/linux?
>> 2. Are they reliable for a small workgroup?
>> 3. Are the color cartridges reasonable priced?
>>
>> Here is what my needs are:
>>
>> dual trays (letter size and 11"x 17")
>> prints envelops easily (#10 mostly)
>> dual sided printing
>> color
>>
>> less than 500.00 and reliable for small quantity.
>>

>> Any suggestions? It must work well with Cups over ethernet
>> as well as with winblows (7 and 8).....
>>
>> thoughts?
>>
>> James
>

> I'm using brother B/W laser printers and all I can say is that Brother have
> "CRAPPY" printer drivers.
> Here is one of my experiences:
> http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-909052-highlight-brother.html
>
> No, duplex does not work correctly with Brother printer divers on Linux.

I'm using a Brother HL-2050 and a Brother HL-2150, and I love them
both. I haven't done anything with duplex, though (I don't have a
duplexer unit).

My last job had a SAMSUNG color laser printer that worked beautifully
with Linux. CLP-215 or CLP-315, I think.

--
:wq

James 09-24-2012 05:45 PM

OT: new printer suggestions?

Michael Mol <mikemol <at> gmail.com> writes:

> > http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-909052-highlight-brother.html
> > No, duplex does not work correctly with Brother printer divers on Linux.

darn....

> I'm using a Brother HL-2050 and a Brother HL-2150, and I love them
> both. I haven't done anything with duplex, though (I don't have a
> duplexer unit).

good 2 kno....

> My last job had a SAMSUNG color laser printer that worked beautifully
> with Linux. CLP-215 or CLP-315, I think.

I'm not looking for a project (got too many of those).....

So now I'll have to think about all of this some more....
HP printers have worked for me for over 14 years with linux,
unix and bsd systems......

I just cannot find an HP printer that fits my previously
described needs...

I may just get 2 for less than 500.00 as the HP 7000 officejet
does handle the large 11x17 (A3 ledger) paper......

thanks to all for the input; other can still make some suggestions.

James

Peter Humphrey 09-24-2012 10:08 PM

OT: new printer suggestions?

On Monday 24 September 2012 18:45:29 James wrote:

> So now I'll have to think about all of this some more....
> HP printers have worked for me for over 14 years with linux,
> unix and bsd systems......
>
> I just cannot find an HP printer that fits my previously
> described needs...
>
> I may just get 2 for less than 500.00 as the HP 7000 officejet
> does handle the large 11x17 (A3 ledger) paper......
>
> thanks to all for the input; other can still make some suggestions.

I don't remember what you said you wanted, but I have a Kyocera FS1020-D
mono laser which has performed faultlessly these last five years or so.
It has a duplexer which also is driven properly. I also have a next-to
useless HP D4260 inkjet. It purports to work properly but it's used so
seldom that I can't get an even ink deposition.

HTH.

--
Rgds
Peter

Neil Bothwick 09-24-2012 10:30 PM

OT: new printer suggestions?

On Mon, 24 Sep 2012 10:32:56 -0400, Michael Mol wrote:

> > No, duplex does not work correctly with Brother printer divers on
> > Linux.
>
> I'm using a Brother HL-2050 and a Brother HL-2150, and I love them
> both. I haven't done anything with duplex, though (I don't have a
> duplexer unit).

I have a Brother MFC-7460DN network laser AIO. Both printing and scanning
work fine, using modified ebuilds from b.g.o. Duplex printing also works
as expected.

--
Neil Bothwick

If you shoot a mime, should you use a silencer?

Matthew Marlowe 09-24-2012 10:50 PM

OT: new printer suggestions?

On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 3:08 PM, Peter Humphrey
<peter@humphrey.ukfsn.org> wrote:
> On Monday 24 September 2012 18:45:29 James wrote:
>
>> So now I'll have to think about all of this some more....
>> HP printers have worked for me for over 14 years with linux,
>> unix and bsd systems......

Both Xerox and HP have had good cross platform support and make some
sturdy reliable printers that can last decades.
The problem of course is that they both have their good/bad years and
can be relatively expensive for the laser MFP's and associated
supplies.

I used to buy HP laserjets only, but then their costs went sky high
while reliability and features went down. I switched to using Xerox
Workcenters....but Xerox has a tendency to end-of-life troublesome
models early and requires active support contracts for any real
support after the initial purchase support period. On the other hand,
the color laser MFP purchased in 2006 for the home office is still
going strong.

To my knowledge, Brother had a better reputation decades ago but
recently is known more as a low-budget competitor.

I'd definitely second that you focus any evaluation on the printer
implementation of postscript...postscript is the true universal
language in this industry.

If you don't have any major feature needs, than also pay attention to
the standby power usage, time to warm up for prints, power needs
during startup, and cost per page for color and b/w prints. My MFP
draws a huge amount of power briefly when it begins the day, uses
solid ink that normally lasts me 9-12 months and then about every 2
years I have to spend ~$150 for an updated maintenance kit(toner?). I
can live with all that, but I'll probably be paying more attention to
power util on the next purchase 5-10 years or so from now.

Matt

Pandu Poluan 09-25-2012 03:33 AM

OT: new printer suggestions?

On Sep 25, 2012 5:55 AM, "Matthew Marlowe" <matt@professionalsysadmin.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 3:08 PM, Peter Humphrey

> <peter@humphrey.ukfsn.org> wrote:

> > On Monday 24 September 2012 18:45:29 James wrote:

> >> So now I'll have to think about all of this some more....

> >> HP printers have worked for me for over 14 years with linux,

> >> unix and bsd systems......

> Both Xerox and HP have had good cross platform support and make some

> sturdy reliable printers that can last decades.

> The problem of course is that they both have their good/bad years and

> can be relatively expensive for the laser MFP's and associated

> supplies.

> I used to buy HP laserjets only, but then their costs went sky high

> while reliability and features went down. *I switched to using Xerox

> Workcenters....but Xerox has a tendency to end-of-life troublesome

> models early and requires active support contracts for any real

> support after the initial purchase support period. *On the other hand,

> the color laser MFP purchased in 2006 for the home office is still

> going strong.

> To my knowledge, Brother had a better reputation decades ago but

> recently is known more as a low-budget competitor.

> I'd definitely second that you focus any evaluation on the printer

> implementation of postscript...postscript is the true universal

> language in this industry.

> If you don't have any major feature needs, than also pay attention to

> the standby power usage, time to warm up for prints, power needs

> during startup, and cost per page for color and b/w prints. *My MFP

> draws a huge amount of power briefly when it begins the day, uses

> solid ink that normally lasts me 9-12 months and then about every 2

> years I have to spend ~$150 for an updated maintenance kit(toner?). *I

> can live with all that, but I'll probably be paying more attention to

> power util on the next purchase 5-10 years or so from now.

> Matt

Just to add my experience re: Brother...

In my previous employment, we had a Brother MFP Color LED printer, its operating cost was far lower than HP Laserjet Color (toner cartridge is 100 USD, about 40% as expensive as HP's, but each cartridge lasts significantly longer, like, about twice the life of the latter). Support is great, probably because we bought one of the premium models.

Unfortunately, it was a Windows-only environ, so I can't tell if it has good Linux support.

Rgds,

James 09-26-2012 04:01 PM

OT: new printer suggestions?

Neil Bothwick <neil <at> digimed.co.uk> writes:

> I have a Brother MFC-7460DN network laser AIO. Both printing and scanning
> work fine, using modified ebuilds from b.g.o. Duplex printing also works
> as expected.

So I started looking at the drivers at the bgo overlay,
I did fine: brother-mfc-j265w-drivers-1

http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bsc/public_s/id/linux/en/download_prn.html#DCP-J315W

Is that the drive you used?
How will I know it works with the printer I'm looking at?
(MFC-J6710DW )

Will I have to hack an ebuild to get my specific printer to work?
And I ended up here:

http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bsc/public_s/id/linux/en/download_prn.html#MFC-J6710DW

Since I did not see a specific overlay for the
MFC-J6710DB, I did browse the brother linux drivers
here:

http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bsc/public_s/id/linux/en/download_prn.html

So, I guess I'm looking for advice on rolling my own hacked
ebuild for this brother printer, or did I miss how all Brother
printers are supported on gentoo?

Looking in CUPS, I did not see