Old 09-26-2012, 04:15 PM
Michael Mol

Default OT: new printer suggestions?

On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 12:01 PM, James <wireless@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
> Neil Bothwick <neil <at> digimed.co.uk> writes:
>

>> I have a Brother MFC-7460DN network laser AIO. Both printing and scanning
>> work fine, using modified ebuilds from b.g.o. Duplex printing also works
>> as expected.
>

> So I started looking at the drivers at the bgo overlay,
> I did fine: brother-mfc-j265w-drivers-1
>
> http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bsc/public_s/id/linux/en/download_prn.html#DCP-J315W
>
> Is that the drive you used?
> How will I know it works with the printer I'm looking at?
> (MFC-J6710DW )
>
> Will I have to hack an ebuild to get my specific printer to work?
> And I ended up here:
>
> http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bsc/public_s/id/linux/en/download_prn.html#MFC-J6710DW
>

> Since I did not see a specific overlay for the
> MFC-J6710DB, I did browse the brother linux drivers
> here:
>
> http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bsc/public_s/id/linux/en/download_prn.html
>
> So, I guess I'm looking for advice on rolling my own hacked
> ebuild for this brother printer, or did I miss how all Brother
> printers are supported on gentoo?
>
> Looking in CUPS, I did not see

For my Brother printers, having net-print/cups and
net-print/foomatic-filters, is sufficient. I'm not doing anything with
scanning or the like, though.

Isn't there a page on one of the Gentoo wikis for this? At the very
least, there's the printer compatibility database[1] at the Linux
foundation. (Apparently, that's where linuxprinting.org went.)

[1] http://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups/openprinting/database/databaseintro

--
:wq

Old 09-26-2012, 08:13 PM
Chris Stankevitz

On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 9:15 AM, Michael Mol <mikemol@gmail.com> wrote:
> For my Brother printers, having net-print/cups and
> net-print/foomatic-filters, is sufficient. I'm not doing anything with
> scanning or the like, though.

Michael,

Are you saying that you were able to print to your brother printers by
more or less following these steps:
1. buy a computer, install gentoo
2. buy a brother printer, plug it into computer via usb
3. emerge net-print/cups and net-print/foomatic-filters
4. Visit the local cups webpage, add new printer, select "brother"
5. print

Notably missing from my list is a visit to brother's website (or any
other website) to download drivers/binaries/confs/etc.

Thank you,

Chris

Old 09-26-2012, 08:23 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Wed, 26 Sep 2012 16:01:05 +0000 (UTC), James wrote:

> > I have a Brother MFC-7460DN network laser AIO. Both printing and
> > scanning work fine, using modified ebuilds from b.g.o. Duplex
> > printing also works as expected.
>

> So I started looking at the drivers at the bgo overlay,
> I did fine: brother-mfc-j265w-drivers-1
>
> http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bsc/public_s/id/linux/en/download_prn.html#DCP-J315W
>
> Is that the drive you used?
> How will I know it works with the printer I'm looking at?
> (MFC-J6710DW )

I looked at the Brother site to find the driver to use, then looked at
the wiki and bgo and found an ebuild for the previous model, which I
edited to use the drivers for my printer.

--
Neil Bothwick

Love and Trust: Oral sex between cannibals.

Old 09-26-2012, 08:30 PM
Thanasis

Have you checked EPSON as an option?

Old 09-26-2012, 08:45 PM
Michael Mol

On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 4:13 PM, Chris Stankevitz
<chrisstankevitz@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 9:15 AM, Michael Mol <mikemol@gmail.com> wrote:
>> For my Brother printers, having net-print/cups and
>> net-print/foomatic-filters, is sufficient. I'm not doing anything with
>> scanning or the like, though.
>

> Michael,
>
> Are you saying that you were able to print to your brother printers by
> more or less following these steps:
> 1. buy a computer, install gentoo
> 2. buy a brother printer, plug it into computer via usb
> 3. emerge net-print/cups and net-print/foomatic-filters
> 4. Visit the local cups webpage, add new printer, select "brother"
> 5. print
>
> Notably missing from my list is a visit to brother's website (or any
> other website) to download drivers/binaries/confs/etc.

More or less. The Brother printers happen to be attached to a Debian
box, but the Gentoo box doesn't require any additional drivers in
order to feed the content to the Debian box over IPP. (And the Debian
box isn't doing any PCL->Brother or PostScript->Brother translation.)

--
:wq

Old 09-26-2012, 09:08 PM
Michael Trausch

To add to the list of recommendations, I have used Lexmark lasers (mono and color) for a long time and been very happy with them. They work with standard PostScript drivers out of the box, with duplex support for those models that have it. Their inkjets are crap, but then again they all are; i don't use ink jet printers at all.

On Sep 24, 2012 6:15 PM, "Peter Humphrey" <peter@humphrey.ukfsn.org> wrote:
On Monday 24 September 2012 18:45:29 James wrote:

> So now I'll have to think about all of this some more....

> HP printers have worked for me for over 14 years with linux,

> unix and bsd systems......

> I just cannot find an HP printer that fits my previously

> described needs...

> I may just get 2 for less than 500.00 as the HP 7000 officejet

> does handle the large 11x17 (A3 ledger) paper......

> thanks to all for the input; other can still make some suggestions.

I don't remember what you said you wanted, but I have a Kyocera FS1020-D

mono laser which has performed faultlessly these last five years or so.

It has a duplexer which also is driven properly. I also have a next-to

useless HP D4260 inkjet. It purports to work properly but it's used so

seldom that I can't get an even ink deposition.

HTH.

--

Rgds

Peter

Old 09-27-2012, 04:59 AM
Chris Stankevitz

On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 1:45 PM, Michael Mol <mikemol@gmail.com> wrote:
> More or less.

Hrm. I have the same printer and I had to visit brother's website and
download some kind of binary to get it working. I was hoping to
emerge cups and have it "just work" but that was not the case for me.
Then again I don't even know what is PCL, IPP, PostScript, foomatic,
hplip, ppds, etc.

Chris

Old 09-27-2012, 03:53 PM
James

Michael Mol <mikemol <at> gmail.com> writes:

> > Are you saying that you were able to print to your brother printers by
> > more or less following these steps:
> > 1. buy a computer, install gentoo
> > 2. buy a brother printer, plug it into computer via usb
> > 3. emerge net-print/cups and net-print/foomatic-filters
> > 4. Visit the local cups webpage, add new printer, select "brother"
> > 5. print

> > Notably missing from my list is a visit to brother's website (or any
> > other website) to download drivers/binaries/confs/etc.

> More or less. The Brother printers happen to be attached to a Debian
> box, but the Gentoo box doesn't require any additional drivers in
> order to feed the content to the Debian box over IPP. (And the Debian
> box isn't doing any PCL->Brother or PostScript->Brother translation.)

Wow, when I go into CUPS, I do not even see brother
listed. (localhost:631) on a gentoo system.

this link:

http://www.openprinting.org/printers

did list many brother printers,but not the
one I'm interested in :

Brother MFC-J6710DW Inkjet

What did you do to your cups to get it to show (flags?)
brother printers as an option to install a brother printer?

Here are my flags:

Installed versions: 1.5.2-r4^t(00:11:27 09/13/12)(X acl dbus filters gnutls
java jpeg ldap pam perl png python slp ssl threads tiff usb -avahi <snip>

Maybe the debian system has other additional software installed
besides cups?
James

Old 09-27-2012, 04:30 PM
James

Neil Bothwick <neil <at> digimed.co.uk> writes:

> I have a Brother MFC-7460DN network laser AIO. Both printing and scanning
> work fine, using modified ebuilds from b.g.o. Duplex printing also works
> as expected.

OK, well, I cannot find any other printer close to the price/feature list,
as I really need 11x17 (ledger size paper) to print drawings, schematics
and 1/4 scale cad files (22" x 34") is the common autocad files I have
to create; 11x17 is 1/4 that size and they fold up nicely into a
standard 8.5x11 report.

If I get in trouble with this hack, I'll drop you a line......
If you run across a wiki basically outlining the process,
let me know.

James

Old 09-27-2012, 04:40 PM
Michael Mol

On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 11:53 AM, James <wireless@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
> Michael Mol <mikemol <at> gmail.com> writes:
>

>> > Are you saying that you were able to print to your brother printers by
>> > more or less following these steps:
>> > 1. buy a computer, install gentoo
>> > 2. buy a brother printer, plug it into computer via usb
>> > 3. emerge net-print/cups and net-print/foomatic-filters
>> > 4. Visit the local cups webpage, add new printer, select "brother"
>> > 5. print
>
>> > Notably missing from my list is a visit to brother's website (or any
>> > other website) to download drivers/binaries/confs/etc.
>
>> More or less. The Brother printers happen to be attached to a Debian
>> box, but the Gentoo box doesn't require any additional drivers in
>> order to feed the content to the Debian box over IPP. (And the Debian
>> box isn't doing any PCL->Brother or PostScript->Brother translation.)
>
> Wow, when I go into CUPS, I do not even see brother
> listed. (localhost:631) on a gentoo system.
>
> this link:
>
> http://www.openprinting.org/printers
>
> did list many brother printers,but not the
> one I'm interested in :
>
> Brother MFC-J6710DW Inkjet
>

> What did you do to your cups to get it to show (flags?)
> brother printers as an option to install a brother printer?
>
> Here are my flags:
>
> Installed versions: 1.5.2-r4^t(00:11:27 09/13/12)(X acl dbus filters gnutls
> java jpeg ldap pam perl png python slp ssl threads tiff usb -avahi <snip>
>
> Maybe the debian system has other additional software installed
> besides cups?

Looking at dependencies, these may be relevant packages installed on
the debian box:

cups-driver-gutenprint
foomatic-db
foomatic-engine

So, I may be wrong about my print server not doing translation. Or
maybe my print server is providing IPP clients with the appropriate
PPD file to generate printer commands. I really don't know. My setup
seems to just work.

You might poke net-print/foomatic-filters-ppds and
net-print/gutenprint. Really, I'd suggest you try
net-print/foomatic-*; it's easier to shotgun it and reduce to a
minimal working set than attack it from the other direction.

--
:wq