-   -   jabberd2 + muc (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/705668-jabberd2-muc.html)

Matt Harrison 09-19-2012 10:36 PM

jabberd2 + muc

Hi list,

I know this isn't really in the remit of the list but I'm hoping there
is an expert lurking here somewhere. Does anyone have experience setting
up Jabber, especially with mu-conference?

I'm trying to set it up for some colleagues but I'm running into a lack
of documentation, overly complicated configurations and a seemingly dead
project with mu-conference.

The packages are still alive and well in portage, yet the site and
mailing list haven't been touched for some years.

Does anyone know of an alternative text chat system with multi-user room
facilities? It needs to be separate from mainstream networks such as MSN
etc, have good ACL capabilities and must support SSL.

Not really sure what to look at next, and after about 6 hours of
fighting with jabberd2 and muc, I'm about ready to give up with it.

TIA

Michael Mol 09-19-2012 10:50 PM

jabberd2 + muc

On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 6:36 PM, Matt Harrison
<iwasinnamuknow@genestate.com> wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I know this isn't really in the remit of the list but I'm hoping there
> is an expert lurking here somewhere. Does anyone have experience setting
> up Jabber, especially with mu-conference?
>
> I'm trying to set it up for some colleagues but I'm running into a lack
> of documentation, overly complicated configurations and a seemingly dead
> project with mu-conference.
>
> The packages are still alive and well in portage, yet the site and
> mailing list haven't been touched for some years.
>
> Does anyone know of an alternative text chat system with multi-user room
> facilities? It needs to be separate from mainstream networks such as MSN
> etc, have good ACL capabilities and must support SSL.
>
> Not really sure what to look at next, and after about 6 hours of
> fighting with jabberd2 and muc, I'm about ready to give up with it.

Of all the XMPP daemons, ejabberd has the best reputation. jabberd14,
according to recent traffic on the -dev list, may be on its way out
due to lack of a maintainer, so I wouldn't invest time into setting
that up right now.

--
:wq

Matt Harrison 09-19-2012 11:04 PM

jabberd2 + muc

On 19/09/2012 23:50, Michael Mol wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 6:36 PM, Matt Harrison
> <iwasinnamuknow@genestate.com> wrote:
>> Hi list,
>>
>> I know this isn't really in the remit of the list but I'm hoping there
>> is an expert lurking here somewhere. Does anyone have experience setting
>> up Jabber, especially with mu-conference?
>>
>> I'm trying to set it up for some colleagues but I'm running into a lack
>> of documentation, overly complicated configurations and a seemingly dead
>> project with mu-conference.
>>
>> The packages are still alive and well in portage, yet the site and
>> mailing list haven't been touched for some years.
>>
>> Does anyone know of an alternative text chat system with multi-user room
>> facilities? It needs to be separate from mainstream networks such as MSN
>> etc, have good ACL capabilities and must support SSL.
>>
>> Not really sure what to look at next, and after about 6 hours of
>> fighting with jabberd2 and muc, I'm about ready to give up with it.
>
> Of all the XMPP daemons, ejabberd has the best reputation. jabberd14,
> according to recent traffic on the -dev list, may be on its way out
> due to lack of a maintainer, so I wouldn't invest time into setting
> that up right now.

Thanks for the reply,

I did try ejabberd very briefly but it failed to start without giving
anything useful in the log. And I did follow the setup at the end of the
ebuild :)

I think it's just getting late so I'll probably try it again after some
rest. By the looks of it though, I'd still need a MU implementation, and
that doesn't seem easy to find.

thanks