-   -   new machine : mail out, but not in (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/705316-new-machine-mail-out-but-not.html)

Philip Webb 09-18-2012 11:13 PM

new machine : mail out, but not in

The rest of my new box is working, but -- as expected -- mail isn't.
I can send mail, which is recorded in syslog & arrives at this machine,
but I can't grab mail from the 2 mail servers out there (ISP + UoT).
The cron job in /var/spool/cron/crontabs is the same as here
with the same permissions & syslog says it runs it every 5 min .
.fetchmailrc is the same there as here & so is .procmailrc .
I've tried remerging Fetchmail Procmail & their deps & checked USE flags.
There definitely was mail to download, as the test msgs I sent
had been waiting some time when I got them on this machine
(yes, I always send 2 of them via each of the mail servers).

One thought is that it mb due to the presence of Python3 on the new machine:
there's a line at the end of the Fetchmail emerge output
which says something re "CPython".

Mail is usually difficult to get going, as there are so many pieces
& they all have to work correctly. Any suggestions are very welcome.

SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb