Old 04-16-2008, 04:57 AM
Richard Marzan

Default Crippled system

I had a circular dep problem with mktemp and coreutils and emerge -C'd
coreutils. Now I can't do anything significant just cd. how can i repair
this?

Old 04-16-2008, 07:00 AM

Am Mittwoch, den 16.04.2008, 00:57 -0400 schrieb ext Richard Marzan:
> I had a circular dep problem with mktemp and coreutils and emerge -C'd
> coreutils. Now I can't do anything significant just cd. how can i repair
> this?

Not tested: Boot a Gentoo LiveCD, create a coreutils binary package with
quickpkg, mount your root fs, set ROOT environment variable to that
mount point, install the binary package into your system.

If the last step fails, you could also just unpack the package with tar,
but that wouldn't give you any package information.

BTW, what does the name _core_ utils tell you? *SCNR*

Bye...

Dirk
--
Dirk Heinrichs | Tel: +49 (0)162 234 3408
D-40468 Düsseldorf | ICQ#: 110037733

Old 04-16-2008, 07:18 AM
Alan McKinnon

On Wednesday 16 April 2008, Richard Marzan wrote:
> I had a circular dep problem with mktemp and coreutils and emerge
> -C'd coreutils. Now I can't do anything significant just cd. how can
> i repair this?

Boot off a LiveCD somehow. Use one that has a fairly recent coreutils on
it, and merge the coreutils pkg onto your actual system on disk. You
will have to mount your disk-based system somewhere convenient and tell
portage off the LiveCD to use that as the ROOT system to merge to.

Next time portage tells you that unmerging something in system is a very
very very bad idea, you should take it seriously.

--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 04-16-2008, 08:21 AM
KH

Alan McKinnon schrieb:

I had a circular dep problem with mktemp and coreutils and emerge
-C'd coreutils. Now I can't do anything significant just cd. how can
i repair this?

Boot off a LiveCD somehow. Use one that has a fairly recent coreutils on
it, and merge the coreutils pkg onto your actual system on disk. You
will have to mount your disk-based system somewhere convenient and tell
portage off the LiveCD to use that as the ROOT system to merge to.

Next time portage tells you that unmerging something in system is a very
very very bad idea, you should take it seriously.

Hi,
you are not the only one who removed coreutils.
http://forums.gentoo.org/search.php?mode=results&show_results=topics&search _keywords=coreutils

Old 04-16-2008, 08:30 AM
Neil Bothwick

On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 10:00:38 +0300, dirk.heinrichs.ext@nsn.com wrote:

> If the last step fails, you could also just unpack the package with tar,
> but that wouldn't give you any package information.

Re-emerging the package after booting into the fixed system will cure
that. In fact, you should emerge coreutils again anyway as the one for
the CD will be built with the wrong USE and CFLAGS.

> BTW, what does the name _core_ utils tell you? *SCNR*

Go on, kick a man while he's down! :P

--
Neil Bothwick

Employ teenagers - while they know everything.

Old 04-16-2008, 11:23 AM
David Relson

Old 04-16-2008, 01:09 PM

Selon dirk.heinrichs.ext@nsn.com:

> Am Mittwoch, den 16.04.2008, 00:57 -0400 schrieb ext Richard Marzan:
> > I had a circular dep problem with mktemp and coreutils and emerge -C'd
> > coreutils. Now I can't do anything significant just cd. how can i repair
> > this?
>
> Not tested: Boot a Gentoo LiveCD, create a coreutils binary package with
> quickpkg, mount your root fs, set ROOT environment variable to that
> mount point, install the binary package into your system.

Tested :-( :
Get 2008.0.beta1 Cd (K3B & ftp work on such a crippled system).
Boot on it. Mount system's / and /usr partitions and cp from CD's /bin and
/usr/bin to their equivalent on mounted partitions the following missig cmd:

basename, cat, chgrp, chmod, chown, chroot, cp, cut, date, dd, df, dirname, du,
echo, env, expr, false, groups, head, hostname, kill, ln, ls, mkdir, mkfifo,
mknod, mv, pwd, rm, rmdir, seq, sleep, sort, stat, stty, su, sync, tail, tr,
true, wc, yes on /mnt/gentoo/bin.

cksum, comm, csplit, dirclors, expand, factor, fmt, fold, fs, hostid, id,
install, join, link, logname, md5sum, nice, nl, nohup, od, pasteshred, shuf,
split, sum, tac, tee, test, tsort, uniq, unlink, uptime, users, whoami, who on
/mnt/.../usr/bin

Once done, reboot on the original system and you're back on business!
first thing to do :
emerge coreutils

This process at least worked for me on my amd64 system.
PS:
1- the list of cmd show why unmerging coreutils makes a mess
2- I'm not sure all above cmds are needed to emerge and compile. But I
considered faster to copy them all than iterating the boot-on-CD boot-on-system
process.

Have a great time!