-   -   virtualbox - serial port (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/704937-virtualbox-serial-port.html)

Joseph 09-18-2012 02:52 AM

virtualbox - serial port

I'm trying to configure virutalbox serial port, but I'm getting an error:

NamedPipe#0 failed to connect to local socket /dev/ttyS0 (VERR_ACCESS_DENIED).

in "inittab" I have:
c7:2345:respawn:/usr/sbin/faxgetty ttyS0

is the above correct?

In virtualbox - serial port
Port Number: COM1
Port Mode: Host Device
Port/File Path: /dev/ttyS0

What am I missing?
--
Joseph

"J. Roeleveld" 09-18-2012 05:07 AM

virtualbox - serial port

Joseph <syscon780@gmail.com> wrote:

>I'm trying to configure virutalbox serial port, but I'm getting an
>error:
>
>NamedPipe#0 failed to connect to local socket /dev/ttyS0
>(VERR_ACCESS_DENIED).
>
>in "inittab" I have:
>c7:2345:respawn:/usr/sbin/faxgetty ttyS0
>
>is the above correct?
>
>In virtualbox - serial port
>Port Number: COM1
>Port Mode: Host Device
>Port/File Path: /dev/ttyS0
>
>What am I missing?

Joseph.

Do you have permissions set correctly to access the serial port normally (without virtualbox)?

--
Joost

Joseph 09-18-2012 12:34 PM

virtualbox - serial port

I'm trying to configure virutalbox serial port, but I'm getting an
error:

NamedPipe#0 failed to connect to local socket /dev/ttyS0
(VERR_ACCESS_DENIED).

in "inittab" I have:
c7:2345:respawn:/usr/sbin/faxgetty ttyS0

is the above correct?

In virtualbox - serial port
Port Number: COM1
Port Mode: Host Device
Port/File Path: /dev/ttyS0

What am I missing?

Joseph.

Do you have permissions set correctly to access the serial port normally (without virtualbox)?

--
Joost

The tty0 has permission:

ls -l /dev/ttyS0
crw-rw---- 1 root tty 4, 64 Sep 17 20:56 /dev/ttyS0

Is the above correct permission?

Thanks,
--
Joseph

"J. Roeleveld" 09-18-2012 01:03 PM

virtualbox - serial port

Joseph <syscon780@gmail.com> wrote:

>On 09/18/12 07:07, J. Roeleveld wrote:
>>Joseph <syscon780@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>I'm trying to configure virutalbox serial port, but I'm getting an
>>>error:
>>>
>>>NamedPipe#0 failed to connect to local socket /dev/ttyS0
>>>(VERR_ACCESS_DENIED).
>>>
>>>in "inittab" I have:
>>>c7:2345:respawn:/usr/sbin/faxgetty ttyS0
>>>
>>>is the above correct?
>>>
>>>In virtualbox - serial port
>>>Port Number: COM1
>>>Port Mode: Host Device
>>>Port/File Path: /dev/ttyS0
>>>
>>>What am I missing?
>>
>>Joseph.
>>
>>Do you have permissions set correctly to access the serial port
>normally (without virtualbox)?
>>
>>--
>>Joost
>
>The tty0 has permission:
>
>ls -l /dev/ttyS0
>crw-rw---- 1 root tty 4, 64 Sep 17 20:56 /dev/ttyS0
>
>Is the above correct permission?
>
>Thanks,

Those are default permissions. However those normally won't give a normal user access. You can change the permissions of that file/device to enable your user to have access.

I am typing this on my mobile and can't quickly tell you how to do that on a permanent basis. But for a quick change you can use 'chown' to change the owner to your own user.

--
Joost

Alex Schuster 09-18-2012 01:12 PM

virtualbox - serial port

J. Roeleveld writes:

Joseph <syscon780@gmail.com> wrote:

ls -l /dev/ttyS0 crw-rw---- 1 root tty 4, 64 Sep 17 20:56
/dev/ttyS0

Is the above correct permission?

Those are default permissions. However those normally won't give a
normal user access. You can change the permissions of that
file/device to enable your user to have access.

I am typing this on my mobile and can't quickly tell you how to do
that on a permanent basis. But for a quick change you can use 'chown'
to change the owner to your own user.

What about 'gpasswd -a <user> tty' to add the tty group to the user?
Needs a re-login to make use of the changes.

Wonko

Joseph 09-18-2012 01:17 PM

virtualbox - serial port

Those are default permissions. However those normally won't give a normal user access. You can change the permissions of that file/device to enable your user to have access.

I am typing this on my mobile and can't quickly tell you how to do that on a permanent basis. But for a quick change you can use 'chown' to change the owner to your own user.

Though, I forgot to mention that I'm in tty group so I have access to this file.

--
Joseph

Joseph 09-18-2012 01:27 PM

virtualbox - serial port

Those are default permissions. However those normally won't give a
normal user access. You can change the permissions of that
file/device to enable your user to have access.

I am typing this on my mobile and can't quickly tell you how to do
that on a permanent basis. But for a quick change you can use 'chown'
to change the owner to your own user.

What about 'gpasswd -a <user> tty' to add the tty group to the user?
Needs a re-login to make use of the changes.

Wonko

Yes, I'm tty group:
tty lp wheel mail cron audio cdrom postgres cdrw usb users scanner vboxusers

in addition I have try to change the permission to:
chmod 0666 /dev/ttyS0

but it makes no difference, when starting virtualbox xp I'm still getting the error:
NamedPipe#0 failed to connect to local socket /dev/ttyS0 (VERR_NET_CONNECTION_REFUSED).

--
Joseph

Michael Mol 09-18-2012 01:34 PM

virtualbox - serial port

On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 9:27 AM, Joseph <syscon780@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 09/18/12 15:12, Alex Schuster wrote:
>>
>> J. Roeleveld writes:

>>> Those are default permissions. However those normally won't give a
>>> normal user access. You can change the permissions of that
>>> file/device to enable your user to have access.
>>>
>>> I am typing this on my mobile and can't quickly tell you how to do
>>> that on a permanent basis. But for a quick change you can use 'chown'
>>> to change the owner to your own user.
>>

>> What about 'gpasswd -a <user> tty' to add the tty group to the user?
>> Needs a re-login to make use of the changes.
>>
>> Wonko
>

> Yes, I'm tty group:
> tty lp wheel mail cron audio cdrom postgres cdrw usb users scanner vboxusers
>
> in addition I have try to change the permission to:
> chmod 0666 /dev/ttyS0
>
> but it makes no difference, when starting virtualbox xp I'm still getting
> the error:
> NamedPipe#0 failed to connect to local socket /dev/ttyS0
> (VERR_NET_CONNECTION_REFUSED).

Sounds like policykit, then. Someone with policykit experience might
be able to tell us how to ask the system which privileges are required
to access that file, and then how to ask the system to give those
privileges to a given user.

(Not knowing much about policykit, but knowing some of what it's
capable of, this would be something I'd like to hear.)
--
:wq

Joseph 09-18-2012 02:49 PM

virtualbox - serial port

I'm trying to configure virutalbox serial port, but I'm getting an
error:

NamedPipe#0 failed to connect to local socket /dev/ttyS0
(VERR_ACCESS_DENIED).

in "inittab" I have:
c7:2345:respawn:/usr/sbin/faxgetty ttyS0

is the above correct?

In virtualbox - serial port
Port Number: COM1
Port Mode: Host Device
Port/File Path: /dev/ttyS0

What am I missing?

Joseph.

Do you have permissions set correctly to access the serial port normally (without virtualbox)?

--
Joost

How do I check if some other application are not using serial port?

--
Joseph

Michael Mol 09-18-2012 03:01 PM

virtualbox - serial port

On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 10:49 AM, Joseph <syscon780@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 09/18/12 07:07, J. Roeleveld wrote:
>>
>> Joseph <syscon780@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I'm trying to configure virutalbox serial port, but I'm getting an
>>> error:
>>>
>>> NamedPipe#0 failed to connect to local socket /dev/ttyS0
>>> (VERR_ACCESS_DENIED).
>>>
>>> in "inittab" I have:
>>> c7:2345:respawn:/usr/sbin/faxgetty ttyS0
>>>
>>> is the above correct?
>>>
>>> In virtualbox - serial port
>>> Port Number: COM1
>>> Port Mode: Host Device
>>> Port/File Path: /dev/ttyS0
>>>
>>> What am I missing?
>>

>> Joseph.
>>
>> Do you have permissions set correctly to access the serial port normally
>> (without virtualbox)?
>>
>> --
>> Joost
>

> How do I check if some other application are not using serial port?

lsof -n |grep /dev/tty

--
:wq