Old 09-18-2012, 03:06 PM
Grant Edwards

Default virtualbox - serial port

On 2012-09-18, Joseph <syscon780@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 09/18/12 07:07, J. Roeleveld wrote:
>>Joseph <syscon780@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>I'm trying to configure virutalbox serial port, but I'm getting an
>>>error:
>>>
>>>NamedPipe#0 failed to connect to local socket /dev/ttyS0
>>>(VERR_ACCESS_DENIED).
[...]
>>>What am I missing?

>>Do you have permissions set correctly to access the serial port
>>normally (without virtualbox)?

> How do I check if some other application are not using serial port?

To check to see if another app has the port open, use lsof. But,
that's not what's causing your error. Linux allows serial ports to be
open by multiple processes.

--
Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! Nipples, dimples,
at knuckles, NICKLES,

Old 09-18-2012, 03:24 PM
Joseph

How do I check if some other application are not using serial port?

lsof -n |grep /dev/tty

--
:wq

Nothing is using ttyS0 so I'm puzzled why virtualbox is giving me permission error

--
Joseph

Old 09-18-2012, 03:30 PM
Joseph

I'm trying to configure virutalbox serial port, but I'm getting an
error:

NamedPipe#0 failed to connect to local socket /dev/ttyS0
(VERR_ACCESS_DENIED).

[...]

What am I missing?

Do you have permissions set correctly to access the serial port
normally (without virtualbox)?

How do I check if some other application are not using serial port?

To check to see if another app has the port open, use lsof. But,
that's not what's causing your error. Linux allows serial ports to be
open by multiple processes.

Do you have permissions set correctly to access the serial port
normally (without virtualbox)?

--
Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! Nipples, dimples,
at knuckles, NICKLES,
gmail.com wrinkles, pimples!!

When I run: lsof -n |grep /dev/ttyS
nothing is showing up so I'm sure no other application is using it. I run hylafax but I disabled it and commented out in inittab:
#c7:2345:respawn:/usr/sbin/faxgetty ttyS0

I set ttyS0 to "666"
ll /dev/ttyS*
crw-rw-rw- 1 uucp tty 4, 64 Sep 18 09:21 /dev/ttyS0
crw-rw---- 1 root uucp 4, 65 Sep 2 06:09 /dev/ttyS1
crw-rw---- 1 root uucp 4, 66 Sep 2 06:09 /dev/ttyS2
crw-rw---- 1 root uucp 4, 67 Sep 2 06:09 /dev/ttyS3

I'm in group "tty", so I can not figure it out why virtualbox is complaining.

--
Joseph

Old 09-18-2012, 03:59 PM
Grant Edwards

On 2012-09-18, Joseph <syscon780@gmail.com> wrote:

>>[...]
>>
>>> How do I check if some other application are not using serial port?
>>
>>To check to see if another app has the port open, use lsof. But,
>>that's not what's causing your error. Linux allows serial ports to be
>>open by multiple processes.
>>
>>Do you have permissions set correctly to access the serial port
>>normally (without virtualbox)?

> When I run: lsof -n |grep /dev/ttyS

> nothing is showing up so I'm sure no other application is using it. I
> run hylafax but I disabled it and commented out in inittab:
> #c7:2345:respawn:/usr/sbin/faxgetty ttyS0

> I set ttyS0 to "666"
> ll /dev/ttyS*
> crw-rw-rw- 1 uucp tty 4, 64 Sep 18 09:21 /dev/ttyS0
> crw-rw---- 1 root uucp 4, 65 Sep 2 06:09 /dev/ttyS1
> crw-rw---- 1 root uucp 4, 66 Sep 2 06:09 /dev/ttyS2
> crw-rw---- 1 root uucp 4, 67 Sep 2 06:09 /dev/ttyS3
>
> I'm in group "tty", so I can not figure it out why virtualbox is
> complaining.

What happens when you do "cat /dev/ttyS0"?

--
Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! ... bleakness
at ... desolation ... plastic

Old 09-18-2012, 04:00 PM
Grant Edwards

On 2012-09-18, Joseph <syscon780@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 09/18/12 11:01, Michael Mol wrote:
>>>
>>> How do I check if some other application are not using serial port?
>>
>>lsof -n |grep /dev/tty
>>
>>--
>>:wq
>

> Nothing is using ttyS0

That has nothing to do with a permission error. If you had proper
permissions, you won't get a permission error even if something else
is using ttyS0.

> so I'm puzzled why virtualbox is giving me permission error

What happens when you do "cat /dev/ttyS0"?

--
Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! I'm RELIGIOUS!!
at I love a man with

Old 09-18-2012, 05:49 PM
Joseph

I'm in group "tty", so I can not figure it out why virtualbox is
complaining.

What happens when you do "cat /dev/ttyS0"?

--
Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! ... bleakness
at ... desolation ... plastic
gmail.com forks ...

It is working know. It was my error :-/
I had it selected "host pipe" and it should be "host device'
One of those days :-)

--
Joseph

Old 09-21-2012, 05:38 AM
Mick

On Tuesday 18 Sep 2012 18:49:33 Joseph wrote:
> On 09/18/12 15:59, Grant Edwards wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> >> I'm in group "tty", so I can not figure it out why virtualbox is
> >> complaining.
> >
> >What happens when you do "cat /dev/ttyS0"?
>
> It is working know. It was my error :-/
> I had it selected "host pipe" and it should be "host device'
> One of those days :-)

Mine looks like this:

$ ls -l /dev/ttyS0
crw-rw---- 1 root uucp 4, 64 Sep 21 06:16 /dev/ttyS0

and the user (me) is a member of the uucp group. Not sure if this is a more
correct way to configure it ...
Mick

Old 09-21-2012, 03:18 PM
Grant Edwards

On 2012-09-21, Mick <michaelkintzios@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday 18 Sep 2012 18:49:33 Joseph wrote:
>> On 09/18/12 15:59, Grant Edwards wrote:
>>
>> [snip]

>> >What happens when you do "cat /dev/ttyS0"?
>>
>> It is working know. It was my error :-/
>> I had it selected "host pipe" and it should be "host device'
>> One of those days :-)
>
> Mine looks like this:
>
> $ ls -l /dev/ttyS0
> crw-rw---- 1 root uucp 4, 64 Sep 21 06:16 /dev/ttyS0
>
> and the user (me) is a member of the uucp group. Not sure if this is
> a more correct way to configure it ...

Adding the user to the group that owns the device is the usual way to
do give users access to hardware.

--
Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! Of course, you
at UNDERSTAND about the PLAIDS