Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Gentoo User (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/)
-   -   Warning when installing/updating clucene (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/704677-warning-when-installing-updating-clucene.html)

Tanstaafl 09-17-2012 01:35 PM

Warning when installing/updating clucene
 
Hi all,

I thought I'd posted about this way back when I opened the bug at
sourceforge:


https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=3494798&group_id=80013&atid=55844 6

but didn't find anything in my local archives, so I guess I didn't...

Does anyone use clucene? I'm planning on enabling FTS (full text search)
on a new dovecot server, and was planning on using clucene, but would
like to see about getting this warning taken care of (if it is indedd
something I need to be worried about)...


I only got one response on the bug tracker (a month after my original
report, and that only after I pinged for a reply) saying they weren't
doing much work on it at the moment and that they'd look into it in a
few days, then nothing - and that was back in March.


Here is the warning:

QA Notice: Package triggers severe warnings which indicate that it
may exhibit random runtime failures.
/var/tmp/portage/dev-cpp/clucene-2.3.3.4-r4/work/clucene-core-2.3.3.4/src/core/CLucene/index/DocumentsWriter.cpp:129:33:
warning: passing NULL to non-pointer argument 2 of ‘void* memset(void*,
int, size_t)’

Please do not file a Gentoo bug and instead report the above QA
issues directly to the upstream developers of this software.
Homepage:http://clucene.sourceforge.net/

I'm assuming everyone gets this warning, so am wondering what it means,
and whether or not I should even bother with clucene. Lucene++ appears
to possibly be the new lucene implementation, but it is <yuck> java based...

Tanstaafl 09-17-2012 01:46 PM

Warning when installing/updating clucene
 
On 2012-09-17 9:35 AM, Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@libertytrek.org> wrote:

Hi all,

I thought I'd posted about this way back when I opened the bug at
sourceforge:

https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=3494798&group_id=80013&atid=55844 6


but didn't find anything in my local archives, so I guess I didn't...

Does anyone use clucene? I'm planning on enabling FTS (full text search)
on a new dovecot server, and was planning on using clucene, but would
like to see about getting this warning taken care of (if it is indedd
something I need to be worried about)...


Never mind, just got a reply from the dev that he had fixed it and the
next update would contain the fix...


I'm still curious if I should not go down that road and use something
else for FTS...

Michael Mol 09-17-2012 02:25 PM

Warning when installing/updating clucene
 
On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 9:46 AM, Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@libertytrek.org> wrote:
> On 2012-09-17 9:35 AM, Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@libertytrek.org> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I thought I'd posted about this way back when I opened the bug at
>> sourceforge:
>>
>>
>> https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=3494798&group_id=80013&atid=55844 6
>>
>>
>> but didn't find anything in my local archives, so I guess I didn't...
>>
>> Does anyone use clucene? I'm planning on enabling FTS (full text search)
>> on a new dovecot server, and was planning on using clucene, but would
>> like to see about getting this warning taken care of (if it is indedd
>> something I need to be worried about)...
>
>
> Never mind, just got a reply from the dev that he had fixed it and the next
> update would contain the fix...
>
> I'm still curious if I should not go down that road and use something else
> for FTS...
>

clucene looks like the thing to use right now, unless you want to use
the full Java-based Apache Lucene. I was just looking at it this
morning as a possible basis for a solution to a problem of my own[1],
since strigi uses it.

[1] http://mmol-6453.livejournal.com/279757.html

--
:wq

Tanstaafl 09-17-2012 02:45 PM

Warning when installing/updating clucene
 
On 2012-09-17 10:25 AM, Michael Mol <mikemol@gmail.com> wrote:

On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 9:46 AM, Tanstaafl<tanstaafl@libertytrek.org> wrote:

Never mind, just got a reply from the dev that he had fixed it and the next
update would contain the fix...

I'm still curious if I should not go down that road and use something else
for FTS...



clucene looks like the thing to use right now, unless you want to use
the full Java-based Apache Lucene. I was just looking at it this
morning as a possible basis for a solution to a problem of my own[1],
since strigi uses it.


Thanks Michael...

Just to wrap up this thread, in case anyone is interested, because Timo
(dovecot author) had replied in a similar thread on the dc list that he
thought there was talk of merging clucene and lucene++, I queried the
clucene author after he replied he had fixed this issue, and here is his
reply:


"More or less it's true. About a year ago we started to make Lucene++ to
the new CLucene version, as Lucene++ (also written in C++) is a port of
a newer Apache Lucene version (written in Java) as the one CLucene is a
port of. But we did not want to simply merge them, but to adapt Lucene++
to the "design principles" of CLucene. E.g., Lucene++ makes heavy use of
shared pointers. And in CLucene we wanted to reduce this usage in favor
of performance. But this not finished and I cannot say when it will
finished. Nevertheless, the new version of CLucene (if any) will be also
C++ and not Java. Best regards, Veit"


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:59 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.