Old 09-17-2012, 01:39 AM
Dale

Default Kernel options and udisk

Howdy,

I was doing a update a while back and noticed a ewarn, enotice or
something going by. I used the elogviewer to go back and dig it out.
This is what it says:

Found sources for kernel version:
3.5.0-gentoo
Checking for suitable kernel configuration options...
ERROR (setup)

CONFIG_USB_SUSPEND: is not set when it should be.
WARN (setup)

Please check to make sure these options are set correctly.
Failure to do so may cause unexpected problems.

So, I go into the kernel's menuconfig and find this:

│ CONFIG_USB_SUSPEND: │
│ │
│ If you say Y here, you can use driver calls or the sysfs │
│ "power/control" file to enable or disable autosuspend for │
│ individual USB peripherals (see │
│ Documentation/usb/power-management.txt for more details). │
│ │
│ Also, USB "remote wakeup" signaling is supported, whereby some │
│ USB devices (like keyboards and network adapters) can wake up │
│ their parent hub. That wakeup cascades up the USB tree, and │
│ could wake the system from states like suspend-to-RAM. │
│ │
│ If you are unsure about this, say N here. │
│ │
│ Symbol: USB_SUSPEND [=n] │
│ Type : boolean │
│ Prompt: USB runtime power management (autosuspend) and wakeup │
│ Defined at drivers/usb/core/Kconfig:41 │
│ Depends on: USB_SUPPORT [=y] && USB [=y] && PM_RUNTIME [=y] │
│ Location: │
│ -> Device Drivers │
│ -> USB support (USB_SUPPORT [=y]) │
│ -> Support for Host-side USB (USB [=y])

The important part is about 'if you are unsure about this, say N here'.
Well, I don't think I need USB remote wakeup or anything so I don't
think I need this but at the same time, udisk is giving me notice that
it should be there.

This is a desktop system not a laptop. Do I need to listen to me not
needing it or udisk that says I do?

Opinions?

Dale

:-) :-)

P. S. The only things I have USB right now is my printer and a camera. I
may have a UPS added to that when I get around to rebooting again. I'm
not sure on how I will end up connecting it yet.

Old 09-17-2012, 01:54 AM
Canek Pelez Valds

On Sun, Sep 16, 2012 at 8:39 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:
[snip]
> The important part is about 'if you are unsure about this, say N here'.
> Well, I don't think I need USB remote wakeup or anything so I don't
> think I need this but at the same time, udisk is giving me notice that
> it should be there.

I'll put it. The 'if you are unsure about this, say N here' is not a
warning; it means that it's probably safe not to put it. However,
udisks want it, so I would enable it.

> This is a desktop system not a laptop. Do I need to listen to me not
> needing it or udisk that says I do?

I suppose you connect from time to time USB sticks/hard drives onto
the machine (or at least want to be able to). I don't know how much
udisks depends on USB_SUSPEND, but if it's asking for it I don't see
any reason at all not to put it. It certainly will not hurt.

And BTW, the difference between desktop and laptop is getting smaller
and smaller every year. I suspend/hibernate my desktop almost as much
as I do my laptop.

Regards.
--
Canek Pelez Valds
Posgrado en Ciencia e Ingeniera de la Computacin

Old 09-17-2012, 03:14 AM
Dale

Canek Pelez Valds wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 16, 2012 at 8:39 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:
> [snip]
>> The important part is about 'if you are unsure about this, say N here'.
>> Well, I don't think I need USB remote wakeup or anything so I don't
>> think I need this but at the same time, udisk is giving me notice that
>> it should be there.
> I'll put it. The 'if you are unsure about this, say N here' is not a
> warning; it means that it's probably safe not to put it. However,
> udisks want it, so I would enable it.

Well, I was "unsure" about it. LOL

>> This is a desktop system not a laptop. Do I need to listen to me not
>> needing it or udisk that says I do?
> I suppose you connect from time to time USB sticks/hard drives onto
> the machine (or at least want to be able to). I don't know how much
> udisks depends on USB_SUSPEND, but if it's asking for it I don't see
> any reason at all not to put it. It certainly will not hurt.
>
> And BTW, the difference between desktop and laptop is getting smaller
> and smaller every year. I suspend/hibernate my desktop almost as much
> as I do my laptop.
>
> Regards.

Actually, except for a USB stick, I have not plugged a drive into a USB
port, YET. I'm sure I will someday tho. I hope to get one for backup
one of these days.

Thanks much.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 09-17-2012, 03:44 AM
Pandu Poluan

On Sep 17, 2012 10:21 AM, "Dale" <rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:

> Canek Pelez Valds wrote:

> > On Sun, Sep 16, 2012 at 8:39 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:

> > [snip]

> >> The important part is about 'if you are unsure about this, say N here'.

> >> Well, I don't think I need USB remote wakeup or anything so I don't

> >> think I need this but at the same time, udisk is giving me notice that

> >> it should be there.

> > I'll put it. The 'if you are unsure about this, say N here' is not a

> > warning; it means that it's probably safe not to put it. However,

> > udisks want it, so I would enable it.

> Well, I was "unsure" about it. *LOL

> >> This is a desktop system not a laptop. Do I need to listen to me not

> >> needing it or udisk that says I do?

> > I suppose you connect from time to time USB sticks/hard drives onto

> > the machine (or at least want to be able to). I don't know how much

> > udisks depends on USB_SUSPEND, but if it's asking for it I don't see

> > any reason at all not to put it. It certainly will not hurt.

> > And BTW, the difference between desktop and laptop is getting smaller

> > and smaller every year. I suspend/hibernate my desktop almost as much

> > as I do my laptop.

> > Regards.

> Actually, except for a USB stick, I have not plugged a drive into a USB

> port, YET. *I'm sure I will someday tho. *I hope to get one for backup

> one of these days.

> Thanks much.

> Dale

> :-) *:-)

Kind of off-topic, but...

For backups, I prefer a bunch of disks in a RAID configuration. After all, what good is an online backup system if the data becomes corrupted without me realizing it...

I heard QNAP makes good ones. Or I can always make an LVM-based one, booting off a USB stick. Still considering which route to take, though... The former is more expensive, but the latter is not that much cheaper either, considering I have to build a complete system with a honkin' big casing + honkin' big PSU to feed them hard drives...

And neither provides an off-site backup...

Rgds,

--

Pandu E Poluan, ~ IT Optimizer ~

Old 09-17-2012, 04:11 AM
Dale

Pandu Poluan wrote:

> Kind of off-topic, but...
>
> For backups, I prefer a bunch of disks in a RAID configuration. After
> all, what good is an online backup system if the data becomes
> corrupted without me realizing it...
>
> I heard QNAP makes good ones. Or I can always make an LVM-based one,
> booting off a USB stick. Still considering which route to take,
> though... The former is more expensive, but the latter is not that
> much cheaper either, considering I have to build a complete system
> with a honkin' big casing + honkin' big PSU to feed them hard drives...
>
> And neither provides an off-site backup...
>
> Rgds,
> --
>
> Pandu E Poluan, ~ IT Optimizer ~

So far, knock on wood, I have only had one drive to die on me and I got
the data off before it did with some time to spare. I agree with RAID
but what happens if the house catches fire? What if someone breaks in
and steals my puter, even tho I'm a really good shot? o_O I usually
put my backups on DVD but when you start storing videos, that goes out
the window pretty fast. So, I figure I'd just get me some sort of USB
drive and backup to that from time to time.

Those questions are what happens when you try to account for each and
every thing that *can* happen tho. It gets expensive pretty quick. I
could just download most all the videos again so even if a few were to
get corrupted, I can most likely get them back. Things I create myself,
I have backups on DVD since it is a MUCH smaller number. Those DVDs are
in a separate building too, in case of fire or something.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 09-17-2012, 04:23 AM
Pandu Poluan

True... Had I only one computer, I would've gone the USB 3 route... 2 ext HD, I backup to one for one or two weeks, then deposit the drive to an off-site location, swapping it with the other HD, and use the second HD for the next period.

Problem is, using a USB drive means I have to move it around, and I'm lazy, so it won't work for me...

That's why I opt for a networked solution... Hmm, that begat an interesting thought, though...

Anyone knows of a cheapo box (appliance) with USB 3.0 that can expose an external HD to the network?

Rgds,

--

Pandu E Poluan, ~ IT Optimizer ~

Old 09-17-2012, 03:57 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

Am Sonntag, 16. September 2012, 20:39:36 schrieb Dale:
> Howdy,
>
> I was doing a update a while back and noticed a ewarn, enotice or
> something going by. I used the elogviewer to go back and dig it out.
> This is what it says:
>
> Found sources for kernel version:
> 3.5.0-gentoo
> Checking for suitable kernel configuration options...
> ERROR (setup)
>
> CONFIG_USB_SUSPEND: is not set when it should be.
> WARN (setup)
>
> Please check to make sure these options are set correctly.
> Failure to do so may cause unexpected problems.
>
> So, I go into the kernel's menuconfig and find this:
>
> │ CONFIG_USB_SUSPEND: │
> │ │
> │ If you say Y here, you can use driver calls or the sysfs │
> │ "power/control" file to enable or disable autosuspend for │
> │ individual USB peripherals (see │
> │ Documentation/usb/power-management.txt for more details). │
> │ │
> │ Also, USB "remote wakeup" signaling is supported, whereby some │
> │ USB devices (like keyboards and network adapters) can wake up │
> │ their parent hub. That wakeup cascades up the USB tree, and │
> │ could wake the system from states like suspend-to-RAM. │
> │ │
> │ If you are unsure about this, say N here. │
> │ │
> │ Symbol: USB_SUSPEND [=n] │
> │ Type : boolean │
> │ Prompt: USB runtime power management (autosuspend) and wakeup │
> │ Defined at drivers/usb/core/Kconfig:41 │
> │ Depends on: USB_SUPPORT [=y] && USB [=y] && PM_RUNTIME [=y] │
> │ Location: │
> │ -> Device Drivers │
> │ -> USB support (USB_SUPPORT [=y]) │
> │ -> Support for Host-side USB (USB [=y])
>
> The important part is about 'if you are unsure about this, say N here'.
> Well, I don't think I need USB remote wakeup or anything so I don't
> think I need this but at the same time, udisk is giving me notice that
> it should be there.

you you never thought about turning on your system via keyboard instead of
crawling under the table?

Also it says 'if unsure, say N' not 'experimental' or 'you should say 'N'
here'.

Upower wants it, so there is no 'unsure'.

> This is a desktop system not a laptop. Do I need to listen to me not
> needing it or udisk that says I do?

so what? is power managment not a good idea on a desktop`

> Opinions?

yes, turn it on.

--
#163933

Old 09-17-2012, 04:34 PM

Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Am Sonntag, 16. September 2012, 20:39:36 schrieb Dale:
> > Howdy,
> >
> > I was doing a update a while back and noticed a ewarn, enotice or
> > something going by. I used the elogviewer to go back and dig it out.
> > This is what it says:
> >
> > Found sources for kernel version:
> > 3.5.0-gentoo
> > Checking for suitable kernel configuration options...
> > ERROR (setup)
> >
> > CONFIG_USB_SUSPEND: is not set when it should be.
> > WARN (setup)
> >
> > Please check to make sure these options are set correctly.
> > Failure to do so may cause unexpected problems.
> >
> > So, I go into the kernel's menuconfig and find this:
> >
> > │ CONFIG_USB_SUSPEND: │
> > │ │
> > │ If you say Y here, you can use driver calls or the sysfs │
> > │ "power/control" file to enable or disable autosuspend for │
> > │ individual USB peripherals (see │
> > │ Documentation/usb/power-management.txt for more details). │
> > │ │
> > │ Also, USB "remote wakeup" signaling is supported, whereby some │
> > │ USB devices (like keyboards and network adapters) can wake up │
> > │ their parent hub. That wakeup cascades up the USB tree, and │
> > │ could wake the system from states like suspend-to-RAM. │
> > │ │
> > │ If you are unsure about this, say N here. │
> > │ │
> > │ Symbol: USB_SUSPEND [=n] │
> > │ Type : boolean │
> > │ Prompt: USB runtime power management (autosuspend) and wakeup │
> > │ Defined at drivers/usb/core/Kconfig:41 │
> > │ Depends on: USB_SUPPORT [=y] && USB [=y] && PM_RUNTIME [=y] │
> > │ Location: │
> > │ -> Device Drivers │
> > │ -> USB support (USB_SUPPORT [=y]) │
> > │ -> Support for Host-side USB (USB [=y])
> >
> > The important part is about 'if you are unsure about this, say N here'.
> > Well, I don't think I need USB remote wakeup or anything so I don't
> > think I need this but at the same time, udisk is giving me notice that
> > it should be there.
>
> you you never thought about turning on your system via keyboard instead of
> crawling under the table?
>
> Also it says 'if unsure, say N' not 'experimental' or 'you should say 'N'
> here'.
>
> Upower wants it, so there is no 'unsure'.
>

> > This is a desktop system not a laptop. Do I need to listen to me not
> > needing it or udisk that says I do?
>
> so what? is power managment not a good idea on a desktop`
> >
> > Opinions?
>
> yes, turn it on.

OK, sorry if this is a dumb question, but I did search for it using make
menuconfig, but could not actually find it! I have all my usb host
controller drivers as modules, if that makes any difference. I am using
3.4.0-gentoo.

How do
you spend it?

John Covici
covici@ccs.covici.com

Old 09-17-2012, 05:57 PM
Dale

Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
> Am Sonntag, 16. September 2012, 20:39:36 schrieb Dale:
>> The important part is about 'if you are unsure about this, say N here'.
>> Well, I don't think I need USB remote wakeup or anything so I don't
>> think I need this but at the same time, udisk is giving me notice that
>> it should be there.
> you you never thought about turning on your system via keyboard instead of
> crawling under the table?

Actually, no. I have one of those large HAF 932 cases that is about the
same height as my keyboard. It's just about as easy to hit one as it is
to hit the other. Add in that I rarely reboot either. I don't really
see the need to use my keyboard as a power switch, not for me anyway. I
have one that is on top of the case, which is where it should be in my
opinion.

> Also it says 'if unsure, say N' not 'experimental' or 'you should say 'N'
> here'.
>
> Upower wants it, so there is no 'unsure'.

Is for me since I only use the power switch to cut mine off/on. I want
to win the lottery but I doubt I ever will, especially since I never buy
a ticket. lol It may want it but it did compile without me turning it
on. So it appears that it was not a deal breaker for the package and
rather doubtful I will use it. I just wanted to check now before it
does become a deal breaker and I am forced to reboot for this one small
thing.

>> This is a desktop system not a laptop. Do I need to listen to me not
>> needing it or udisk that says I do?
> so what? is power managment not a good idea on a desktop`

Again, see above.

>> Opinions?
> yes, turn it on.

I did but I doubt it will be used anytime soon. It has joined the other
things that must be there that is of really no, or very little use, to
me. Maybe one day that will change. ;-)

At least now I know another use for this option.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 09-17-2012, 06:00 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

Am Montag, 17. September 2012, 12:34:12 schrieb covici@ccs.covici.com:
> Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@googlemail.com> wrote:
> > Am Sonntag, 16. September 2012, 20:39:36 schrieb Dale:
> > > Howdy,
> > >
> > > I was doing a update a while back and noticed a ewarn, enotice or
> > > something going by. I used the elogviewer to go back and dig it out.
> > > This is what it says:
> > >
> > > Found sources for kernel version:
> > > 3.5.0-gentoo
> > > Checking for suitable kernel configuration options...
> > > ERROR (setup)
> > >
> > > CONFIG_USB_SUSPEND: is not set when it should be.
> > > WARN (setup)
> > >
> > > Please check to make sure these options are set correctly.
> > > Failure to do so may cause unexpected problems.
> > >
> > > So, I go into the kernel's menuconfig and find this:
> > >
> > > │ CONFIG_USB_SUSPEND: │
> > > │ │
> > > │ If you say Y here, you can use driver calls or the sysfs │
> > > │ "power/control" file to enable or disable autosuspend for │
> > > │ individual USB peripherals (see │
> > > │ Documentation/usb/power-management.txt for more details). │
> > > │ │
> > > │ Also, USB "remote wakeup" signaling is supported, whereby some │
> > > │ USB devices (like keyboards and network adapters) can wake up │
> > > │ their parent hub. That wakeup cascades up the USB tree, and │
> > > │ could wake the system from states like suspend-to-RAM. │
> > > │ │
> > > │ If you are unsure about this, say N here. │
> > > │ │
> > > │ Symbol: USB_SUSPEND [=n] │
> > > │ Type : boolean │
> > > │ Prompt: USB runtime power management (autosuspend) and wakeup │
> > > │ Defined at drivers/usb/core/Kconfig:41 │
> > > │ Depends on: USB_SUPPORT [=y] && USB [=y] && PM_RUNTIME [=y] │
> > > │ Location: │
> > > │ -> Device Drivers │
> > > │ -> USB support (USB_SUPPORT [=y]) │
> > > │ -> Support for Host-side USB (USB [=y])
> > >
> > > The important part is about 'if you are unsure about this, say N here'.
> > > Well, I don't think I need USB remote wakeup or anything so I don't
> > > think I need this but at the same time, udisk is giving me notice that
> > > it should be there.
> >
> > you you never thought about turning on your system via keyboard instead of
> > crawling under the table?
> >
> > Also it says 'if unsure, say N' not 'experimental' or 'you should say 'N'
> > here'.
> >
> > Upower wants it, so there is no 'unsure'.
> >
> > > This is a desktop system not a laptop. Do I need to listen to me not
> > > needing it or udisk that says I do?
> >
> > so what? is power managment not a good idea on a desktop`
> >
> > > Opinions?
> >
> > yes, turn it on.
>
> OK, sorry if this is a dumb question, but I did search for it using make
> menuconfig, but could not actually find it! I have all my usb host
> controller drivers as modules, if that makes any difference. I am using
> 3.4.0-gentoo.

hit / in menuconfig. It is there.
--
#163933