FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 09-19-2012, 04:10 PM
Peter Humphrey
 
Default Kernel options and udisk

On Wednesday 19 September 2012 10:28:44 Dale wrote:

> I bet it is what we used to call a class AB amp.

I bet you're right, now that you remind me of what I used to know.

> 96 watts on standby. That doesn't sound like standing by as much as
> it is ready to make noise. lol Is it old or new? I can see a few
> watts even maybe 20 watts or so but almost 100 watts on standby. :/

It does make a nice little background space heater.

It's a Linn Kinos controller and Chakra power amplifier, about 7 years
old. In fact the Kinos was so new that I was offered a pre-production
model.

--
Rgds
Peter
 
Old 09-19-2012, 04:11 PM
Peter Humphrey
 
Default Kernel options and udisk

On Wednesday 19 September 2012 12:45:42 Alan McKinnon wrote:

> Holy sweet mother of god. 96W???????
>
> What you got in that thing? Thermionic tubes (aka valves)?

I was surprised too, so I took care to ensure I was only measuring that
beast, and not something else in the house as well.

--
Rgds
Peter
 
Old 09-19-2012, 04:35 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann
 
Default Kernel options and udisk

Am Mittwoch, 19. September 2012, 01:51:49 schrieb Dale:
> Raffaele BELARDI wrote:
> > On 09/18/2012 11:03 PM, Dale wrote:
> >> Alan McKinnon wrote:
> >>> On Tue, 18 Sep 2012 13:53:53 -0500
> >>>
> >>> Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>>> When I moved in with my GF, her electric bill shoot up to the roof (I
> >>>> brought my 46" LCD TV, PlayStation 3, and in total 5 computers and
> >>>> other electronics). After a couple of months of shock of seeing the
> >>>> electric bills, we started to do this kind of stuff
> >>>> (suspending/hibernating our machines, using CFL instead of normal
> >>>> light bulbs, etc.), and we cut the spending almost in four.
> >>>
> >>> Apartment living maybe?
> >>>
> >>> I have 1 XBox, 2 Wii's, 40" LED TV, 22" LED monitor, 16" LCD monitor, an
> >>> xbmc frontend, 2 el-cheap android tablets permanently plugged in, 1
> >>> desktop, 2 HP microservers and 3 laptops running almost 24/7. And about
> >>> 10 incandescent bulbs all evening, 2 neons and umpteen CFLs.
> >>>
> >>> It's a lot of power, sure.
> >>>
> >>> And all quite insignificant when compared to what the swimming pool
> >>> pump uses......
> >>>
> >>> All a matter of perspective I suppose :-)
> >>
> >> My biggest expenses, refrigeration and heating/cooling. I have a large
> >> fridge, two deep freezers, two window A/C's for summer and a large
> >> heater for the winter. Compare any of those to my computer, the
> >> computer is a rounding error. My main rig, monitor, router, DSL modem
> >> and printer pulls about 150 watts at most. At most would be while it is
> >> compiling or something. When idle, ~100 watts. I figured it up once
> >> and I think it costs about $12.00 a month to run. Heck, when I have a
> >> $200.00 power bill, rounding error comes to mind. Heck, taxes and fees
> >> on the power bill is more than my puter uses. I would much rather fuss
> >> about the taxes than my puter. I use my puter. lol
> >>
> >> I think you hit it pretty good tho Alan. It's perspective.
> >
> > It's not only about power bill costs. Oil and gas are limited resources
> > and we're not leaving much to the next generations. Yes, it's a matter
> > of perspective :-)
> >
> > raf
>
> And every day I hear about them finding more oil and gas that they
> didn't know was there before.


I am sure everybody would love to hear about those findings. Especially the
CEO's of BP, Shell etc.

Fact is, we are running out. The stuff that is found is either very hard to get
- or not very much. Oh, and very little to start with. Consider current
consumption.

> Everything is a limited resource
> including sunlight. If we are going to live thinking the end is
> tomorrow, then we are not going to have a life worth living.

then turn off your computer. Have everything constantly on IS living like there
is no tomorrow. If you want a tomorrow, start energy saving a bit.

>
> Reminds me of a quote I heard a little while ago. 'We shouldn't eat to
> live, we should live to eat.' It was something like that. I think I
> got it right since I didn't exactly write it down. They were talking
> about food but still. If you live, you have to use something.

and because of some stupid, unrelated quote it is ok to be wasteful?

You love quotes? Here is one:

Waste not, want not.

--
#163933
 
Old 09-19-2012, 08:28 PM
Dale
 
Default Kernel options and udisk

Peter Humphrey wrote:
> On Wednesday 19 September 2012 10:28:44 Dale wrote:
>
>> I bet it is what we used to call a class AB amp.
> I bet you're right, now that you remind me of what I used to know.

I don't know its power output but I bet it sounds good at low sound
levels. On the class AB scale, it is more into class A than most.

>
>> 96 watts on standby. That doesn't sound like standing by as much as
>> it is ready to make noise. lol Is it old or new? I can see a few
>> watts even maybe 20 watts or so but almost 100 watts on standby. :/
> It does make a nice little background space heater.
>
> It's a Linn Kinos controller and Chakra power amplifier, about 7 years
> old. In fact the Kinos was so new that I was offered a pre-production
> model.
>

I'm going to have to google on those. I have not heard of those. Way
back when, I used to love the sound of a Sansui amp. They were DC
coupled from right after the RCA input all the way to the speaker. The
bass response was . . . awesome. The downside, if one transistor went
out, it took them all and it was not good for the woofer either. One
output would always be stronger than the other and the woofer would
either get a full positive power supply DC voltage or the negative
side. Makes for a good thump tho. Sounds like a serial/parallel chip
doesn't it? lol

Anyone remember the pulse width modulation amps that were tried?

http://www.bcae1.com/ampclass.htm

I actually heard one of those in a showroom. I can't recall the brand
but it was driving a pair of Bose 901's and it was neat. The amps were
driving several hundred watts a channel with very little heat.

Dale

:-) :-)

--
I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!
 
Old 09-19-2012, 09:18 PM
Dale
 
Default Kernel options and udisk

Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:



Am Mittwoch, 19. September 2012, 01:51:49 schrieb Dale:


Raffaele BELARDI wrote:


On 09/18/2012 11:03 PM, Dale wrote:

And every day I hear about them finding more oil and gas that
they
didn't know was there before.



I am sure everybody would love to hear about those findings. Especially the
CEO's of BP, Shell etc.



Actually, the former CEO of Shell was on Fox Business not long ago
talking about some HUGE finds.* He said that we, the USA, are
sitting on some of the largest oil fields.* Here is one article I
found but not sure this is the same one the Shell guy was talking
about since this article is a few months old.



http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/energy/story/2012-05-15/1A-COV-ENERGY-INDEPENDENCE/54977254/1



Quoting from that:



"It's no pipe dream. The U.S. is already the world's fastest-growing
oil and natural gas producer. Counting the output from Canada and
Mexico, North America is
"the new Middle East," Citigroup analysts declare in a recent
report."



Note it said fastest growing producer.* You have to find it and be
able to get it up before you can produce it.* Yea, one day we will
run out but that's a good long ways off.* We could get hit by some
asteroid or something that just completely destroys the planet and
everything on it, including all that oil and gas that people want to
save up on.*



Have you heard about the new wells being drilled in North Dakota by
any chance?* They are drilling for oil like crazy up there.* That is
just one that I recall seeing on the news a good bit recently.*
There are plenty of other finds.*






Fact is, we are running out. The stuff that is found is either very hard to get
- or not very much. Oh, and very little to start with. Consider current
consumption.



Fact is, the same could be said for the Sun too.* Science already
says it will run out of fuel one day.* Solar doesn't work without
sunlight.* You can't grow corn or anything to make "green" fuel
either.* There is always going to be someone claiming we are running
out of something.* Then, we find more of it and the process
continues.* Heck, we can't even run out of the flu bug and everyone
wants to run out of that.*



As for it being hard to get to, with new tools and knowledge that is
being used, they can get to places that 20 years ago we could never
dream of.* Once you get a oil pipe in the ground, that thing can
produce for years, even decades.* It's not like you have to drill a
new one for each week or month.* Heck, I have seen people talking on
TV about oil wells that were drilled way back in the 40's or 50's
that still produce lots of oil.* Once you get the pipe there, it's
not hard anymore.








Everything is a limited resource
including sunlight. If we are going to live thinking the end is
tomorrow, then we are not going to have a life worth living.



then turn off your computer. Have everything constantly on IS living like there
is no tomorrow. If you want a tomorrow, start energy saving a bit.




Sorry, not convinced.* I let my computer do work for me and I find
it reasonable to pay for.*








Reminds me of a quote I heard a little while ago. 'We shouldn't eat to
live, we should live to eat.' It was something like that. I think I
got it right since I didn't exactly write it down. They were talking
about food but still. If you live, you have to use something.



and because of some stupid, unrelated quote it is ok to be wasteful?

You love quotes? Here is one:

Waste not, want not.





I'm not wasting anything.* I just chose to let my puter work for me
not you.* I'm not one that is going to be told that I can't use
something that belongs to me in my own chosen way.* That is just NOT
going to work.* I chose to leave my system running and that is my
decision and mine alone.* You make your decision and I'll make
mine.* I'm not going to tell you to leave yours on, don't tell me to
turn mine off either.* I'll respect yours, you respect mine.*



Dale



:-)* :-)*



--
I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!
 
Old 09-21-2012, 03:08 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann
 
Default Kernel options and udisk

Am Mittwoch, 19. September 2012, 16:18:34 schrieb Dale:
> Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
> > Am Mittwoch, 19. September 2012, 01:51:49 schrieb Dale:
> >> Raffaele BELARDI wrote:
> >>> On 09/18/2012 11:03 PM, Dale wrote:
> >>> And every day I hear about them finding more oil and gas that they
> >>> didn't know was there before.
> >
> > I am sure everybody would love to hear about those findings. Especially
> > the
> > CEO's of BP, Shell etc.
>
> Actually, the former CEO of Shell was on Fox Business not long ago
> talking about some HUGE finds. He said that we, the USA, are sitting on
> some of the largest oil fields. Here is one article I found but not
> sure this is the same one the Shell guy was talking about since this
> article is a few months old.
>
> http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/energy/story/2012-05-15/1A-COV-ENER
> GY-INDEPENDENCE/54977254/1
>
> Quoting from that:
>
> "It's no pipe dream. The U.S. is already the world's fastest-growing oil
> and natural gas producer. Counting the output from Canada and Mexico,
> North America
> <http://content.usatoday.com/topics/topic/Places,+Geography/Regions/North+Am
> erica> is "the new Middle East," Citigroup analysts declare in a recent
> report."
>
> Note it said fastest growing producer. You have to find it and be able
> to get it up before you can produce it. Yea, one day we will run out
> but that's a good long ways off. We could get hit by some asteroid or
> something that just completely destroys the planet and everything on it,
> including all that oil and gas that people want to save up on.
>
> Have you heard about the new wells being drilled in North Dakota by any
> chance? They are drilling for oil like crazy up there. That is just
> one that I recall seeing on the news a good bit recently. There are
> plenty of other finds.

I also heard about gas in drinking water thanks to fracking. Do oil companies
drilling in deep water because it is cheap, save and fun? Or do they want to
go and drill in the Arktis because it is so lovely there? Hardly. There is a
difference between 'something is there' and 'the prize and risk are worth it'.
Do you remember that Gulf incident? BP surely hopes not. You should get used
to it.

and here:
http://oilsandstruth.org/world-running-out-oil-says-exceo


>
> > Fact is, we are running out. The stuff that is found is either very hard
> > to get - or not very much. Oh, and very little to start with. Consider
> > current consumption.
>
> Fact is, the same could be said for the Sun too. Science already says
> it will run out of fuel one day.

And now you went full stupid. There is a difference between 'a couple of
decades' and '4 billion years'. But thanks for posting. That said a lot about
you. I don't even care about the rest of your posting. This is plonk worthy
stupid. So I stop right there, I don't want to get any of that.

--
#163933
 
Old 09-21-2012, 07:15 PM
Dale
 
Default Kernel options and udisk

Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 19. September 2012, 16:18:34 schrieb Dale:
>> Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
>>> Am Mittwoch, 19. September 2012, 01:51:49 schrieb Dale:
>>>> Raffaele BELARDI wrote:
>>>>> On 09/18/2012 11:03 PM, Dale wrote:
>>>>> And every day I hear about them finding more oil and gas that they
>>>>> didn't know was there before.
>>> I am sure everybody would love to hear about those findings. Especially
>>> the
>>> CEO's of BP, Shell etc.
>> Actually, the former CEO of Shell was on Fox Business not long ago
>> talking about some HUGE finds. He said that we, the USA, are sitting on
>> some of the largest oil fields. Here is one article I found but not
>> sure this is the same one the Shell guy was talking about since this
>> article is a few months old.
>>
>> http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/energy/story/2012-05-15/1A-COV-ENER
>> GY-INDEPENDENCE/54977254/1
>>
>> Quoting from that:
>>
>> "It's no pipe dream. The U.S. is already the world's fastest-growing oil
>> and natural gas producer. Counting the output from Canada and Mexico,
>> North America
>> <http://content.usatoday.com/topics/topic/Places,+Geography/Regions/North+Am
>> erica> is "the new Middle East," Citigroup analysts declare in a recent
>> report."
>>
>> Note it said fastest growing producer. You have to find it and be able
>> to get it up before you can produce it. Yea, one day we will run out
>> but that's a good long ways off. We could get hit by some asteroid or
>> something that just completely destroys the planet and everything on it,
>> including all that oil and gas that people want to save up on.
>>
>> Have you heard about the new wells being drilled in North Dakota by any
>> chance? They are drilling for oil like crazy up there. That is just
>> one that I recall seeing on the news a good bit recently. There are
>> plenty of other finds.
> I also heard about gas in drinking water thanks to fracking. Do oil companies
> drilling in deep water because it is cheap, save and fun? Or do they want to
> go and drill in the Arktis because it is so lovely there? Hardly. There is a
> difference between 'something is there' and 'the prize and risk are worth it'.
> Do you remember that Gulf incident? BP surely hopes not. You should get used
> to it.
>
> and here:
> http://oilsandstruth.org/world-running-out-oil-says-exceo
>

I also remember the people that died trying to go to the moon but we did
it anyway. I have heard a lot of people talking about fracking and all
sort of myths about it. I have not seen proof that is in drinking
water. Even so, I have a well that we drove here and we drank off it
for years. It has a HUGE iron count and turns white clothes orange.
There is always something in water. It's just what water does. That is
why it gets filtered before it is used for drinking. By the way,
fracking has been around for something like 60 years. Not all the oil
that has been found recently requires fracking either. So, don't just
point to fracking and then claim that all oil is bad.

The website you linked to is against oil from my google search. It
would be like quoting Al Gore for global warming, climate change or
whatever they call it this week.

>>> Fact is, we are running out. The stuff that is found is either very hard
>>> to get - or not very much. Oh, and very little to start with. Consider
>>> current consumption.
>> Fact is, the same could be said for the Sun too. Science already says
>> it will run out of fuel one day.
> And now you went full stupid. There is a difference between 'a couple of
> decades' and '4 billion years'. But thanks for posting. That said a lot about
> you. I don't even care about the rest of your posting. This is plonk worthy
> stupid. So I stop right there, I don't want to get any of that.
>

Care to explain away that we could get hit my some asteroid too?
Yellowstone could erupt again and kill us all. Better get your "I'm
scared of everything" hat on.

Who knows it is a couple decades? That was the thinking years ago
BEFORE finding all the new reserves of gas and oil.

Careful calling someone stupid. It could come back and name calling on
the list is not a good thing. You should know better.

Dale

:-) :-)

--
I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!
 
Old 09-21-2012, 07:25 PM
Michael Mol
 
Default Kernel options and udisk

On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 3:15 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:
> Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
>> Am Mittwoch, 19. September 2012, 16:18:34 schrieb Dale:
>>> Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
>>>> Am Mittwoch, 19. September 2012, 01:51:49 schrieb Dale:
>>>>> Raffaele BELARDI wrote:
>>>>>> On 09/18/2012 11:03 PM, Dale wrote:
>>>>>> And every day I hear about them finding more oil and gas that they
>>>>>> didn't know was there before.
>>>> I am sure everybody would love to hear about those findings. Especially
>>>> the
>>>> CEO's of BP, Shell etc.
>>> Actually, the former CEO of Shell was on Fox Business not long ago
>>> talking about some HUGE finds. He said that we, the USA, are sitting on
>>> some of the largest oil fields. Here is one article I found but not
>>> sure this is the same one the Shell guy was talking about since this
>>> article is a few months old.
>>>
>>> http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/energy/story/2012-05-15/1A-COV-ENER
>>> GY-INDEPENDENCE/54977254/1
>>>
>>> Quoting from that:
>>>
>>> "It's no pipe dream. The U.S. is already the world's fastest-growing oil
>>> and natural gas producer. Counting the output from Canada and Mexico,
>>> North America
>>> <http://content.usatoday.com/topics/topic/Places,+Geography/Regions/North+Am
>>> erica> is "the new Middle East," Citigroup analysts declare in a recent
>>> report."
>>>
>>> Note it said fastest growing producer. You have to find it and be able
>>> to get it up before you can produce it. Yea, one day we will run out
>>> but that's a good long ways off. We could get hit by some asteroid or
>>> something that just completely destroys the planet and everything on it,
>>> including all that oil and gas that people want to save up on.
>>>
>>> Have you heard about the new wells being drilled in North Dakota by any
>>> chance? They are drilling for oil like crazy up there. That is just
>>> one that I recall seeing on the news a good bit recently. There are
>>> plenty of other finds.
>> I also heard about gas in drinking water thanks to fracking. Do oil companies
>> drilling in deep water because it is cheap, save and fun? Or do they want to
>> go and drill in the Arktis because it is so lovely there? Hardly. There is a
>> difference between 'something is there' and 'the prize and risk are worth it'.
>> Do you remember that Gulf incident? BP surely hopes not. You should get used
>> to it.
>>
>> and here:
>> http://oilsandstruth.org/world-running-out-oil-says-exceo
>>
>
> I also remember the people that died trying to go to the moon but we did
> it anyway. I have heard a lot of people talking about fracking and all
> sort of myths about it. I have not seen proof that is in drinking
> water. Even so, I have a well that we drove here and we drank off it
> for years. It has a HUGE iron count and turns white clothes orange.
> There is always something in water. It's just what water does. That is
> why it gets filtered before it is used for drinking. By the way,
> fracking has been around for something like 60 years. Not all the oil
> that has been found recently requires fracking either. So, don't just
> point to fracking and then claim that all oil is bad.
>
> The website you linked to is against oil from my google search. It
> would be like quoting Al Gore for global warming, climate change or
> whatever they call it this week.
>
>>>> Fact is, we are running out. The stuff that is found is either very hard
>>>> to get - or not very much. Oh, and very little to start with. Consider
>>>> current consumption.
>>> Fact is, the same could be said for the Sun too. Science already says
>>> it will run out of fuel one day.
>> And now you went full stupid. There is a difference between 'a couple of
>> decades' and '4 billion years'. But thanks for posting. That said a lot about
>> you. I don't even care about the rest of your posting. This is plonk worthy
>> stupid. So I stop right there, I don't want to get any of that.
>>
>
> Care to explain away that we could get hit my some asteroid too?
> Yellowstone could erupt again and kill us all. Better get your "I'm
> scared of everything" hat on.
>
> Who knows it is a couple decades? That was the thinking years ago
> BEFORE finding all the new reserves of gas and oil.
>
> Careful calling someone stupid. It could come back and name calling on
> the list is not a good thing. You should know better.


Guys, this fell into politics, one of those categories of things you
don't discuss in polite company. Not that I'm accusing anyone of being
polite, it's just that these aren't issues that can generally be
resolved, and it's certainly not something that comes anywhere close
to being on-topic here.

Now, could we go back to discussing software, packages, electronics
and amplifiers? I found that portion of the thread utterly
fascinating...

--
:wq
 
Old 09-21-2012, 07:45 PM
Alan McKinnon
 
Default Kernel options and udisk

On Fri, 21 Sep 2012 15:25:49 -0400
Michael Mol <mikemol@gmail.com> wrote:

> Guys, this fell into politics, one of those categories of things you
> don't discuss in polite company. Not that I'm accusing anyone of being
> polite,

Phew, glad to hear that last bit. You had me worried for a second, what
with my reputation to uphold and all


> Now, could we go back to discussing software, packages, electronics
> and amplifiers? I found that portion of the thread utterly
> fascinating...

That's a good idea. Would you like to hear about Hitachi Class H amps?

I'm forever fascinated that I seem to be the only person that ever
heard of them. Most techies know A, AB and B. Some know Class C but I
get blank looks everywhere I mention Class H...

--
Alan McKinnon
alan.mckinnon@gmail.com
 
Old 09-21-2012, 07:52 PM
Michael Mol
 
Default Kernel options and udisk

On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 3:45 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Sep 2012 15:25:49 -0400
> Michael Mol <mikemol@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Guys, this fell into politics, one of those categories of things you
>> don't discuss in polite company. Not that I'm accusing anyone of being
>> polite,
>
> Phew, glad to hear that last bit. You had me worried for a second, what
> with my reputation to uphold and all
>
>
>> Now, could we go back to discussing software, packages, electronics
>> and amplifiers? I found that portion of the thread utterly
>> fascinating...
>
> That's a good idea. Would you like to hear about Hitachi Class H amps?
>
> I'm forever fascinated that I seem to be the only person that ever
> heard of them. Most techies know A, AB and B. Some know Class C but I
> get blank looks everywhere I mention Class H...

I would indeed. And a primer (or reasonable reference for someone with
just a technician's amateur radio license) on class C.

--
:wq
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 05:44 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org