FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 09-18-2012, 08:40 PM
Alan McKinnon
 
Default Kernel options and udisk

On Tue, 18 Sep 2012 13:53:53 -0500
Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@gmail.com> wrote:

> When I moved in with my GF, her electric bill shoot up to the roof (I
> brought my 46" LCD TV, PlayStation 3, and in total 5 computers and
> other electronics). After a couple of months of shock of seeing the
> electric bills, we started to do this kind of stuff
> (suspending/hibernating our machines, using CFL instead of normal
> light bulbs, etc.), and we cut the spending almost in four.

Apartment living maybe?

I have 1 XBox, 2 Wii's, 40" LED TV, 22" LED monitor, 16" LCD monitor, an
xbmc frontend, 2 el-cheap android tablets permanently plugged in, 1
desktop, 2 HP microservers and 3 laptops running almost 24/7. And about
10 incandescent bulbs all evening, 2 neons and umpteen CFLs.

It's a lot of power, sure.

And all quite insignificant when compared to what the swimming pool
pump uses......

All a matter of perspective I suppose :-)

--
Alan McKinnon
alan.mckinnon@gmail.com
 
Old 09-18-2012, 09:03 PM
Dale
 
Default Kernel options and udisk

Alan McKinnon wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Sep 2012 13:53:53 -0500
> Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> When I moved in with my GF, her electric bill shoot up to the roof (I
>> brought my 46" LCD TV, PlayStation 3, and in total 5 computers and
>> other electronics). After a couple of months of shock of seeing the
>> electric bills, we started to do this kind of stuff
>> (suspending/hibernating our machines, using CFL instead of normal
>> light bulbs, etc.), and we cut the spending almost in four.
> Apartment living maybe?
>
> I have 1 XBox, 2 Wii's, 40" LED TV, 22" LED monitor, 16" LCD monitor, an
> xbmc frontend, 2 el-cheap android tablets permanently plugged in, 1
> desktop, 2 HP microservers and 3 laptops running almost 24/7. And about
> 10 incandescent bulbs all evening, 2 neons and umpteen CFLs.
>
> It's a lot of power, sure.
>
> And all quite insignificant when compared to what the swimming pool
> pump uses......
>
> All a matter of perspective I suppose :-)
>


My biggest expenses, refrigeration and heating/cooling. I have a large
fridge, two deep freezers, two window A/C's for summer and a large
heater for the winter. Compare any of those to my computer, the
computer is a rounding error. My main rig, monitor, router, DSL modem
and printer pulls about 150 watts at most. At most would be while it is
compiling or something. When idle, ~100 watts. I figured it up once
and I think it costs about $12.00 a month to run. Heck, when I have a
$200.00 power bill, rounding error comes to mind. Heck, taxes and fees
on the power bill is more than my puter uses. I would much rather fuss
about the taxes than my puter. I use my puter. lol

I think you hit it pretty good tho Alan. It's perspective.

Dale

:-) :-)

--
I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!
 
Old 09-18-2012, 09:38 PM
Alan McKinnon
 
Default Kernel options and udisk

On Tue, 18 Sep 2012 16:03:15 -0500
Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:

> My biggest expenses, refrigeration and heating/cooling. I have a
> large fridge, two deep freezers, two window A/C's for summer and a
> large heater for the winter. Compare any of those to my computer, the
> computer is a rounding error. My main rig, monitor, router, DSL modem
> and printer pulls about 150 watts at most. At most would be while it
> is compiling or something. When idle, ~100 watts. I figured it up
> once and I think it costs about $12.00 a month to run. Heck, when I
> have a $200.00 power bill, rounding error comes to mind. Heck, taxes
> and fees on the power bill is more than my puter uses. I would much
> rather fuss about the taxes than my puter. I use my puter. lol
>
> I think you hit it pretty good tho Alan. It's perspective.


And my gasoline bill for two cars and two bikes is double my power
bill :-)

I account for two thirds of the price and one third of the mileage (I
have a heavy foot and an even heavier wrist). I should probably put
some attention on that :-)



--
Alan McKinnon
alan.mckinnon@gmail.com
 
Old 09-18-2012, 10:57 PM
Peter Humphrey
 
Default Kernel options and udisk

On Tuesday 18 September 2012 22:03:15 Dale wrote:

> My biggest expenses, refrigeration and heating/cooling. I have a
> large fridge, two deep freezers, two window A/C's for summer and a
> large heater for the winter. Compare any of those to my computer,
> the computer is a rounding error. My main rig, monitor, router, DSL
> modem and printer pulls about 150 watts at most. At most would be
> while it is compiling or something. When idle, ~100 watts. I
> figured it up once and I think it costs about $12.00 a month to run.
> Heck, when I have a $200.00 power bill, rounding error comes to
> mind. Heck, taxes and fees on the power bill is more than my puter
> uses. I would much rather fuss about the taxes than my puter. I
> use my puter. lol

Didn't you say once that you run a BOINC application? I forget which
one. That would keep your CPU use at 100%. Here I run four at a time
continuously, and according to gkrellm the CPUs sit at 60 - 65C. Just
giving a little back to the community that I gain from.

I have an audio amplifier downstairs that consumes 96W on standby. Now
that _is_ excessive. Keeps that corner of the room warm though.

--
Rgds
Peter
 
Old 09-19-2012, 12:23 AM
Dale
 
Default Kernel options and udisk

Peter Humphrey wrote:
> On Tuesday 18 September 2012 22:03:15 Dale wrote:
>
>> My biggest expenses, refrigeration and heating/cooling. I have a
>> large fridge, two deep freezers, two window A/C's for summer and a
>> large heater for the winter. Compare any of those to my computer,
>> the computer is a rounding error. My main rig, monitor, router, DSL
>> modem and printer pulls about 150 watts at most. At most would be
>> while it is compiling or something. When idle, ~100 watts. I
>> figured it up once and I think it costs about $12.00 a month to run.
>> Heck, when I have a $200.00 power bill, rounding error comes to
>> mind. Heck, taxes and fees on the power bill is more than my puter
>> uses. I would much rather fuss about the taxes than my puter. I
>> use my puter. lol
> Didn't you say once that you run a BOINC application? I forget which
> one. That would keep your CPU use at 100%. Here I run four at a time
> continuously, and according to gkrellm the CPUs sit at 60 - 65C. Just
> giving a little back to the community that I gain from.
>
> I have an audio amplifier downstairs that consumes 96W on standby. Now
> that _is_ excessive. Keeps that corner of the room warm though.
>


I used to run folding but only in the winter time. I don't mind the
heat during the winter since I have electric heat anyway. It doesn't
matter if the heat comes from the puter or from the regular heater, it's
still heat from the power company. I may as well give back a little
when I can. Thing is, I have had issues with folding and have not run
it in a while. I started the service but they had no units for me to
download and work on. So, when spring came along, I stopped it. I
don't think it ever had a single unit all last winter. I chose folding
because I have health issues myself. It may not help me but it may help
someone else. Maybe someone else will do something to help folks like
me. :/

I unhook things that I don't use often or rarely. I have a large air
compressor that I turn off unless I plan to use it right away. I even
have a small tank for little things, like putting air in the wheel
barrow or something like that. I try to conserve on the things that are
not used often but don't on the things that I use a lot. I would never
think of cutting off my fridge or deep freezers just to save on energy.
If my food spoils, that would cost me more than I save. If I had a
light bulb that took a minute to come on, I'd likely leave it on a lot
if I use it a lot. Why, I don't want to have to wait for it every time
I need it. If it costs that much to run, time for a better bulb or
something.

96 watts for standby is excessive for sure. What the heck is that thing
doing with all that power? O_O

Dale

:-) :-)

--
I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!
 
Old 09-19-2012, 06:17 AM
Raffaele BELARDI
 
Default Kernel options and udisk

On 09/18/2012 11:03 PM, Dale wrote:
> Alan McKinnon wrote:
>> On Tue, 18 Sep 2012 13:53:53 -0500
>> Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> When I moved in with my GF, her electric bill shoot up to the roof (I
>>> brought my 46" LCD TV, PlayStation 3, and in total 5 computers and
>>> other electronics). After a couple of months of shock of seeing the
>>> electric bills, we started to do this kind of stuff
>>> (suspending/hibernating our machines, using CFL instead of normal
>>> light bulbs, etc.), and we cut the spending almost in four.
>> Apartment living maybe?
>>
>> I have 1 XBox, 2 Wii's, 40" LED TV, 22" LED monitor, 16" LCD monitor, an
>> xbmc frontend, 2 el-cheap android tablets permanently plugged in, 1
>> desktop, 2 HP microservers and 3 laptops running almost 24/7. And about
>> 10 incandescent bulbs all evening, 2 neons and umpteen CFLs.
>>
>> It's a lot of power, sure.
>>
>> And all quite insignificant when compared to what the swimming pool
>> pump uses......
>>
>> All a matter of perspective I suppose :-)
>>
>
>
> My biggest expenses, refrigeration and heating/cooling. I have a large
> fridge, two deep freezers, two window A/C's for summer and a large
> heater for the winter. Compare any of those to my computer, the
> computer is a rounding error. My main rig, monitor, router, DSL modem
> and printer pulls about 150 watts at most. At most would be while it is
> compiling or something. When idle, ~100 watts. I figured it up once
> and I think it costs about $12.00 a month to run. Heck, when I have a
> $200.00 power bill, rounding error comes to mind. Heck, taxes and fees
> on the power bill is more than my puter uses. I would much rather fuss
> about the taxes than my puter. I use my puter. lol
>
> I think you hit it pretty good tho Alan. It's perspective.
>

It's not only about power bill costs. Oil and gas are limited resources
and we're not leaving much to the next generations. Yes, it's a matter
of perspective :-)

raf
 
Old 09-19-2012, 06:51 AM
Dale
 
Default Kernel options and udisk

Raffaele BELARDI wrote:
> On 09/18/2012 11:03 PM, Dale wrote:
>> Alan McKinnon wrote:
>>> On Tue, 18 Sep 2012 13:53:53 -0500
>>> Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>>> When I moved in with my GF, her electric bill shoot up to the roof (I
>>>> brought my 46" LCD TV, PlayStation 3, and in total 5 computers and
>>>> other electronics). After a couple of months of shock of seeing the
>>>> electric bills, we started to do this kind of stuff
>>>> (suspending/hibernating our machines, using CFL instead of normal
>>>> light bulbs, etc.), and we cut the spending almost in four.
>>> Apartment living maybe?
>>>
>>> I have 1 XBox, 2 Wii's, 40" LED TV, 22" LED monitor, 16" LCD monitor, an
>>> xbmc frontend, 2 el-cheap android tablets permanently plugged in, 1
>>> desktop, 2 HP microservers and 3 laptops running almost 24/7. And about
>>> 10 incandescent bulbs all evening, 2 neons and umpteen CFLs.
>>>
>>> It's a lot of power, sure.
>>>
>>> And all quite insignificant when compared to what the swimming pool
>>> pump uses......
>>>
>>> All a matter of perspective I suppose :-)
>>>
>>
>> My biggest expenses, refrigeration and heating/cooling. I have a large
>> fridge, two deep freezers, two window A/C's for summer and a large
>> heater for the winter. Compare any of those to my computer, the
>> computer is a rounding error. My main rig, monitor, router, DSL modem
>> and printer pulls about 150 watts at most. At most would be while it is
>> compiling or something. When idle, ~100 watts. I figured it up once
>> and I think it costs about $12.00 a month to run. Heck, when I have a
>> $200.00 power bill, rounding error comes to mind. Heck, taxes and fees
>> on the power bill is more than my puter uses. I would much rather fuss
>> about the taxes than my puter. I use my puter. lol
>>
>> I think you hit it pretty good tho Alan. It's perspective.
>>
> It's not only about power bill costs. Oil and gas are limited resources
> and we're not leaving much to the next generations. Yes, it's a matter
> of perspective :-)
>
> raf
>

And every day I hear about them finding more oil and gas that they
didn't know was there before. Everything is a limited resource
including sunlight. If we are going to live thinking the end is
tomorrow, then we are not going to have a life worth living.

Reminds me of a quote I heard a little while ago. 'We shouldn't eat to
live, we should live to eat.' It was something like that. I think I
got it right since I didn't exactly write it down. They were talking
about food but still. If you live, you have to use something.

Dale

:-) :-)

--
I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!
 
Old 09-19-2012, 08:01 AM
Peter Humphrey
 
Default Kernel options and udisk

On Wednesday 19 September 2012 01:23:54 Dale wrote:

> 96 watts for standby is excessive for sure. What the heck is that
> thing doing with all that power? O_O

In a word: wasting it!

I think it must be a class-A amplifier, or whatever the modern equivalent
is.

--
Rgds
Peter
 
Old 09-19-2012, 09:28 AM
Dale
 
Default Kernel options and udisk

Peter Humphrey wrote:
> On Wednesday 19 September 2012 01:23:54 Dale wrote:
>
>> 96 watts for standby is excessive for sure. What the heck is that
>> thing doing with all that power? O_O
> In a word: wasting it!
>
> I think it must be a class-A amplifier, or whatever the modern equivalent
> is.
>


I bet it is what we used to call a class AB amp. A class A amp pulls
the same amount of power regardless of whether there is any sound but
has very little distortion. A class B amp pulls only what is getting
pushed to the speakers, less the drivers of course. Class B amps have a
lot of distortion at low sound levels, that wasn't to good. So, someone
came up with a cross between the two and got rid of the distortion but
saved power at the same time. Most sound amps are Class AB but where in
that cross depends on the maker. If you are really interested, here is
a linky.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_amplifier#Class_B_and_AB

I have built a few of these things. Getting that cross point can be
fun. To much, smoke. To little, sounds like crap. lol

96 watts on standby. That doesn't sound like standing by as much as it
is ready to make noise. lol Is it old or new? I can see a few watts
even maybe 20 watts or so but almost 100 watts on standby. :/

Dale

:-) :-)

--
I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!
 
Old 09-19-2012, 11:45 AM
Alan McKinnon
 
Default Kernel options and udisk

On Tue, 18 Sep 2012 23:57:17 +0100
Peter Humphrey <peter@humphrey.ukfsn.org> wrote:

> I have an audio amplifier downstairs that consumes 96W on standby.
> Now that _is_ excessive. Keeps that corner of the room warm though.

Holy sweet mother of god. 96W???????

What you got in that thing? Thermionic tubes (aka valves)?


--
Alan McKinnon
alan.mckinnon@gmail.com
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 10:35 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org