FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 09-17-2012, 06:10 PM
Michael Mol
 
Default Kernel options and udisk

On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 2:00 PM, Volker Armin Hemmann
<volkerarmin@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Am Montag, 17. September 2012, 12:34:12 schrieb covici@ccs.covici.com:
>> Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> > Am Sonntag, 16. September 2012, 20:39:36 schrieb Dale:
>> > > Howdy,
>> > >
>> > > I was doing a update a while back and noticed a ewarn, enotice or
>> > > something going by. I used the elogviewer to go back and dig it out.
>> > > This is what it says:
>> > >
>> > > Found sources for kernel version:
>> > > 3.5.0-gentoo
>> > > Checking for suitable kernel configuration options...
>> > > ERROR (setup)
>> > >
>> > > CONFIG_USB_SUSPEND: is not set when it should be.
>> > > WARN (setup)
>> > >
>> > > Please check to make sure these options are set correctly.
>> > > Failure to do so may cause unexpected problems.
>> > >
>> > > So, I go into the kernel's menuconfig and find this:
>> > >
>> > > │ CONFIG_USB_SUSPEND: │
>> > > │ │
>> > > │ If you say Y here, you can use driver calls or the sysfs │
>> > > │ "power/control" file to enable or disable autosuspend for │
>> > > │ individual USB peripherals (see │
>> > > │ Documentation/usb/power-management.txt for more details). │
>> > > │ │
>> > > │ Also, USB "remote wakeup" signaling is supported, whereby some │
>> > > │ USB devices (like keyboards and network adapters) can wake up │
>> > > │ their parent hub. That wakeup cascades up the USB tree, and │
>> > > │ could wake the system from states like suspend-to-RAM. │
>> > > │ │
>> > > │ If you are unsure about this, say N here. │
>> > > │ │
>> > > │ Symbol: USB_SUSPEND [=n] │
>> > > │ Type : boolean │
>> > > │ Prompt: USB runtime power management (autosuspend) and wakeup │
>> > > │ Defined at drivers/usb/core/Kconfig:41 │
>> > > │ Depends on: USB_SUPPORT [=y] && USB [=y] && PM_RUNTIME [=y] │
>> > > │ Location: │
>> > > │ -> Device Drivers │
>> > > │ -> USB support (USB_SUPPORT [=y]) │
>> > > │ -> Support for Host-side USB (USB [=y])
>> > >
>> > > The important part is about 'if you are unsure about this, say N here'.
>> > > Well, I don't think I need USB remote wakeup or anything so I don't
>> > > think I need this but at the same time, udisk is giving me notice that
>> > > it should be there.
>> >
>> > you you never thought about turning on your system via keyboard instead of
>> > crawling under the table?
>> >
>> > Also it says 'if unsure, say N' not 'experimental' or 'you should say 'N'
>> > here'.
>> >
>> > Upower wants it, so there is no 'unsure'.
>> >
>> > > This is a desktop system not a laptop. Do I need to listen to me not
>> > > needing it or udisk that says I do?
>> >
>> > so what? is power managment not a good idea on a desktop`
>> >
>> > > Opinions?
>> >
>> > yes, turn it on.
>>
>> OK, sorry if this is a dumb question, but I did search for it using make
>> menuconfig, but could not actually find it! I have all my usb host
>> controller drivers as modules, if that makes any difference. I am using
>> 3.4.0-gentoo.
>
> hit / in menuconfig. It is there.

Although I do believe you need to remove the CONFIG_ prefix before you search.

--
:wq
 
Old 09-17-2012, 06:26 PM
Dale
 
Default Kernel options and udisk

Michael Mol wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 2:00 PM, Volker Armin Hemmann
> <volkerarmin@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> Am Montag, 17. September 2012, 12:34:12 schrieb covici@ccs.covici.com:
>>> OK, sorry if this is a dumb question, but I did search for it using make
>>> menuconfig, but could not actually find it! I have all my usb host
>>> controller drivers as modules, if that makes any difference. I am using
>>> 3.4.0-gentoo.
>> hit / in menuconfig. It is there.
> Although I do believe you need to remove the CONFIG_ prefix before you search.
>

Also, there are also other options that must be turned on for it to show
up. I had to enable other things before I could find it in the menu.
This is another reason I asked the question on whether it is really
needed or not. It wasn't just one thing I had to enable but a couple
other things too. I'm still not sure I need either of those but . . .

Dale

:-) :-)

--
I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!
 
Old 09-17-2012, 06:35 PM
Felix Kuperjans
 
Default Kernel options and udisk

Dale wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> I was doing a update a while back and noticed a ewarn, enotice or
> something going by. I used the elogviewer to go back and dig it out.
> This is what it says:
>
> Found sources for kernel version:
> 3.5.0-gentoo
> Checking for suitable kernel configuration options...
> ERROR (setup)
>
> CONFIG_USB_SUSPEND: is not set when it should be.
> WARN (setup)
udisks will work without that, but if you try to safely unplug a USB
stick or other USB storage device, an error will occur because udisks is
unable to power off the device before unplugging.
The option is not required for its essential functionality, but it's
definitely useful and does not add any big overhead to the kernel, so I
always enable it and would recommend enabling it unless you have a
strong reason not to set it.
>
> Please check to make sure these options are set correctly.
> Failure to do so may cause unexpected problems.
>
> So, I go into the kernel's menuconfig and find this:
>
> │ CONFIG_USB_SUSPEND: │
> │ │
> │ If you say Y here, you can use driver calls or the sysfs │
> │ "power/control" file to enable or disable autosuspend for │
> │ individual USB peripherals (see │
> │ Documentation/usb/power-management.txt for more details). │
> │ │
> │ Also, USB "remote wakeup" signaling is supported, whereby some │
> │ USB devices (like keyboards and network adapters) can wake up │
> │ their parent hub. That wakeup cascades up the USB tree, and │
> │ could wake the system from states like suspend-to-RAM. │
> │ │
> │ If you are unsure about this, say N here. │
This message is on a lot of important stuff, it just means you will be
able to use USB (at least on *some* machines) without enabling it.
As soon as you have any reason to set it or know what it does, this
recommendation is superfluous. Only take care if the help message says
something like:
* This is usually not needed, so if unsure, say no
* This is highly experimental, ...
* only set this as module ...
* Do not enable unless ...
In such cases, you should be sure what you are doing and usually no
ebuild would require options like that.
> │ │
> │ Symbol: USB_SUSPEND [=n] │
> │ Type : boolean │
> │ Prompt: USB runtime power management (autosuspend) and wakeup │
> │ Defined at drivers/usb/core/Kconfig:41 │
> │ Depends on: USB_SUPPORT [=y] && USB [=y] && PM_RUNTIME [=y] │
> │ Location: │
> │ -> Device Drivers │
> │ -> USB support (USB_SUPPORT [=y]) │
> │ -> Support for Host-side USB (USB [=y])
>
> The important part is about 'if you are unsure about this, say N here'.
> Well, I don't think I need USB remote wakeup or anything so I don't
> think I need this but at the same time, udisk is giving me notice that
> it should be there.
>
> This is a desktop system not a laptop. Do I need to listen to me not
> needing it or udisk that says I do?
This option is only USB relevant and can be used on any laptop / desktop
system / whatever with USB support.
> Opinions?
>
> Dale
>
> :-) :-)
>
> P. S. The only things I have USB right now is my printer and a camera. I
> may have a UPS added to that when I get around to rebooting again. I'm
> not sure on how I will end up connecting it yet.
In case you have no USB sticks and never want to use any USB storage
device, you won't need udisks at all, try disabling the "udisks" USE
flags on your desktop packages (esp. gvfs).

Regards,
Felix
 
Old 09-17-2012, 06:36 PM
Michael Mol
 
Default Kernel options and udisk

On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 2:26 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:
> Michael Mol wrote:
>> On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 2:00 PM, Volker Armin Hemmann
>> <volkerarmin@googlemail.com> wrote:
>>> Am Montag, 17. September 2012, 12:34:12 schrieb covici@ccs.covici.com:
>>>> OK, sorry if this is a dumb question, but I did search for it using make
>>>> menuconfig, but could not actually find it! I have all my usb host
>>>> controller drivers as modules, if that makes any difference. I am using
>>>> 3.4.0-gentoo.
>>> hit / in menuconfig. It is there.
>> Although I do believe you need to remove the CONFIG_ prefix before you search.
>>
>
> Also, there are also other options that must be turned on for it to show
> up. I had to enable other things before I could find it in the menu.
> This is another reason I asked the question on whether it is really
> needed or not. It wasn't just one thing I had to enable but a couple
> other things too. I'm still not sure I need either of those but . . .

You do, for the same reason you need electricity; you may not use
electricity directly, but something you use does.

Similarly, you may not need this config option, but something you use
does (or something you use uses something you use which does).

Further, the config option won't be available unless all of the things
_it_ uses are enabled. So, if this config option X isn't available
because it needs config option Y, you need config option Y, because
you need config option X, because you need udisks, because you need
something which needs udisks.

So if some option X says "don't enable this unless you need it", and
you need some option Z, which says it needs option X, then, yes, you
need option X, because you need option Z.

This is what Volker meant when he said that there was no 'unsure' at
play. Since you're sure you want udisk (because you installed it),
then, logically following, you're sure you want whatever udisk depends
on. (Either that, or you're not being logical. ^^ )

--
:wq
 
Old 09-17-2012, 07:08 PM
Dale
 
Default Kernel options and udisk

Michael Mol wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 2:26 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Michael Mol wrote:
>>> On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 2:00 PM, Volker Armin Hemmann
>>> <volkerarmin@googlemail.com> wrote:
>>>> Am Montag, 17. September 2012, 12:34:12 schrieb covici@ccs.covici.com:
>>>>> OK, sorry if this is a dumb question, but I did search for it using make
>>>>> menuconfig, but could not actually find it! I have all my usb host
>>>>> controller drivers as modules, if that makes any difference. I am using
>>>>> 3.4.0-gentoo.
>>>> hit / in menuconfig. It is there.
>>> Although I do believe you need to remove the CONFIG_ prefix before you search.
>>>
>> Also, there are also other options that must be turned on for it to show
>> up. I had to enable other things before I could find it in the menu.
>> This is another reason I asked the question on whether it is really
>> needed or not. It wasn't just one thing I had to enable but a couple
>> other things too. I'm still not sure I need either of those but . . .
> You do, for the same reason you need electricity; you may not use
> electricity directly, but something you use does.
>
> Similarly, you may not need this config option, but something you use
> does (or something you use uses something you use which does).
>
> Further, the config option won't be available unless all of the things
> _it_ uses are enabled. So, if this config option X isn't available
> because it needs config option Y, you need config option Y, because
> you need config option X, because you need udisks, because you need
> something which needs udisks.
>
> So if some option X says "don't enable this unless you need it", and
> you need some option Z, which says it needs option X, then, yes, you
> need option X, because you need option Z.
>
> This is what Volker meant when he said that there was no 'unsure' at
> play. Since you're sure you want udisk (because you installed it),
> then, logically following, you're sure you want whatever udisk depends
> on. (Either that, or you're not being logical. ^^ )
>


But, I was still unsure. If it wants me to enable the option for
battery monitoring, do I do that too? I don't have any batteries but it
wants the option enabled so to use your logic, I must need it because it
asks for it even tho I don't use it and can't use it. As I posted
earlier, I have no plan to use this so how can my system use it when I
have nothing here to use it? One example in another reply was to use
the keyboard as a power switch. I have a old style keyboard that
doesn't have all those extra keys. I'm not sure I could use my keyboard
to turn on my system given it is the old style. So, if that is one
example of what that is used for, then that is likely to never happen.
My system isn't capable of using it regardless of the fact it wants the
option. Enabling the option in the kernel does not give me a new
keyboard. ^_^

Logic works most of the time but not all the time. I don't feel that I
need any of these options. Since the package completed its compile
without it, I apparently have the option to leave it out. Thing is, I
didn't know what it is for and whether I should enable it so I was
"unsure" about the option.

I did enable it but only because it isn't going to be something that
borks my system, unlike trying to monitor batteries that don't exist. LOL

Dale

:-) :-)

--
I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!
 
Old 09-17-2012, 07:17 PM
Dale
 
Default Kernel options and udisk

Felix Kuperjans wrote:
> Dale wrote:
>> Howdy,
>>
>> I was doing a update a while back and noticed a ewarn, enotice or
>> something going by. I used the elogviewer to go back and dig it out.
>> This is what it says:
>>
>> Found sources for kernel version:
>> 3.5.0-gentoo
>> Checking for suitable kernel configuration options...
>> ERROR (setup)
>>
>> CONFIG_USB_SUSPEND: is not set when it should be.
>> WARN (setup)
> udisks will work without that, but if you try to safely unplug a USB
> stick or other USB storage device, an error will occur because udisks is
> unable to power off the device before unplugging.
> The option is not required for its essential functionality, but it's
> definitely useful and does not add any big overhead to the kernel, so I
> always enable it and would recommend enabling it unless you have a
> strong reason not to set it.


Ahhh, this was helpful info. I do use sticks but right now that is the
only storage thing I use on my system. Everything else is printer,
camera etc etc. So, this will 'improve' how a USB stick works too. Neat.

>> Please check to make sure these options are set correctly.
>> Failure to do so may cause unexpected problems.
>>
>> So, I go into the kernel's menuconfig and find this:
>>
>> │ CONFIG_USB_SUSPEND: │
>> │ │
>> │ If you say Y here, you can use driver calls or the sysfs │
>> │ "power/control" file to enable or disable autosuspend for │
>> │ individual USB peripherals (see │
>> │ Documentation/usb/power-management.txt for more details). │
>> │ │
>> │ Also, USB "remote wakeup" signaling is supported, whereby some │
>> │ USB devices (like keyboards and network adapters) can wake up │
>> │ their parent hub. That wakeup cascades up the USB tree, and │
>> │ could wake the system from states like suspend-to-RAM. │
>> │ │
>> │ If you are unsure about this, say N here. │
> This message is on a lot of important stuff, it just means you will be
> able to use USB (at least on *some* machines) without enabling it.
> As soon as you have any reason to set it or know what it does, this
> recommendation is superfluous. Only take care if the help message says
> something like:
> * This is usually not needed, so if unsure, say no
> * This is highly experimental, ...
> * only set this as module ...
> * Do not enable unless ...
> In such cases, you should be sure what you are doing and usually no
> ebuild would require options like that.

Yea, I just didn't know what it was for so I went with the unsure part.
Generally, if I am unsure, I leave it out. Thing is, I had a package
that hinted it would like to have it. Hence the question about what
this was and such. I wanted to take the 'un' out of unsure. lol

>> │ │
>> │ Symbol: USB_SUSPEND [=n] │
>> │ Type : boolean │
>> │ Prompt: USB runtime power management (autosuspend) and wakeup │
>> │ Defined at drivers/usb/core/Kconfig:41 │
>> │ Depends on: USB_SUPPORT [=y] && USB [=y] && PM_RUNTIME [=y] │
>> │ Location: │
>> │ -> Device Drivers │
>> │ -> USB support (USB_SUPPORT [=y]) │
>> │ -> Support for Host-side USB (USB [=y])
>>
>> The important part is about 'if you are unsure about this, say N here'.
>> Well, I don't think I need USB remote wakeup or anything so I don't
>> think I need this but at the same time, udisk is giving me notice that
>> it should be there.
>>
>> This is a desktop system not a laptop. Do I need to listen to me not
>> needing it or udisk that says I do?
> This option is only USB relevant and can be used on any laptop / desktop
> system / whatever with USB support.

I got that now. The info above helped on that one.

>> Opinions?
>>
>> Dale
>>
>> :-) :-)
>>
>> P. S. The only things I have USB right now is my printer and a camera. I
>> may have a UPS added to that when I get around to rebooting again. I'm
>> not sure on how I will end up connecting it yet.
> In case you have no USB sticks and never want to use any USB storage
> device, you won't need udisks at all, try disabling the "udisks" USE
> flags on your desktop packages (esp. gvfs).
>
> Regards,
> Felix
>
>

I do plan to get a external USB drive one of these days. So, it is
enabled and I'm now 'sure' about it. ;-) You applied power to my
light bulb.

Dale

:-) :-)

--
I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!
 
Old 09-17-2012, 07:21 PM
Michael Mol
 
Default Kernel options and udisk

On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 3:08 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:
> Michael Mol wrote:
>> On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 2:26 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Michael Mol wrote:
>>>> On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 2:00 PM, Volker Armin Hemmann
>>>> <volkerarmin@googlemail.com> wrote:
>>>>> Am Montag, 17. September 2012, 12:34:12 schrieb covici@ccs.covici.com:
>>>>>> OK, sorry if this is a dumb question, but I did search for it using make
>>>>>> menuconfig, but could not actually find it! I have all my usb host
>>>>>> controller drivers as modules, if that makes any difference. I am using
>>>>>> 3.4.0-gentoo.
>>>>> hit / in menuconfig. It is there.
>>>> Although I do believe you need to remove the CONFIG_ prefix before you search.
>>>>
>>> Also, there are also other options that must be turned on for it to show
>>> up. I had to enable other things before I could find it in the menu.
>>> This is another reason I asked the question on whether it is really
>>> needed or not. It wasn't just one thing I had to enable but a couple
>>> other things too. I'm still not sure I need either of those but . . .
>> You do, for the same reason you need electricity; you may not use
>> electricity directly, but something you use does.
>>
>> Similarly, you may not need this config option, but something you use
>> does (or something you use uses something you use which does).
>>
>> Further, the config option won't be available unless all of the things
>> _it_ uses are enabled. So, if this config option X isn't available
>> because it needs config option Y, you need config option Y, because
>> you need config option X, because you need udisks, because you need
>> something which needs udisks.
>>
>> So if some option X says "don't enable this unless you need it", and
>> you need some option Z, which says it needs option X, then, yes, you
>> need option X, because you need option Z.
>>
>> This is what Volker meant when he said that there was no 'unsure' at
>> play. Since you're sure you want udisk (because you installed it),
>> then, logically following, you're sure you want whatever udisk depends
>> on. (Either that, or you're not being logical. ^^ )
>>
>
>
> But, I was still unsure. If it wants me to enable the option for
> battery monitoring, do I do that too? I don't have any batteries but it
> wants the option enabled so to use your logic, I must need it because it
> asks for it even tho I don't use it and can't use it.

When it comes to software, even if you don't actively use a thing, you
may depend on it being there. The reasons involved could come from any
of dozens of programming issues you may be unaware of or uncaring of;
it could come from the need of a programmer to simplify his reasoning
about a system in order to simplify his code (or the problem his code
is trying to solve). It could come from some automatic linking process
that looks for a symbol even if the function that symbol represents is
never called in practice. It could come from some indirect artifact of
the thing being there.

You're trying to apply a holistic reasoning basis to a deterministic
dependency problem. That kind of logic is the same kind of logic that
leads to stories such as "but why won't you plug in your computer?"
"because it makes a lot of noise. Why won't my computer work?"
"Because it needs power, so you need to plug it in." "But it makes a
lot of noise."

Apologies for the crass analogy, but it really is the same thing, just
at a different technical depth.

--
:wq
 
Old 09-17-2012, 08:26 PM
Peter Humphrey
 
Default Kernel options and udisk

On Monday 17 September 2012 16:57:49 Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:

> so what? is power managment not a good idea on a desktop

Not on this one, no. It spends its life running BOINC applications. You
know, contributing something back for all the help I've gained.

--
Rgds
Peter
 
Old 09-17-2012, 09:22 PM
Canek Pelez Valds
 
Default Kernel options and udisk

On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 3:26 PM, Peter Humphrey
<peter@humphrey.ukfsn.org> wrote:
> On Monday 17 September 2012 16:57:49 Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
>
>> so what? is power managment not a good idea on a desktop
>
> Not on this one, no. It spends its life running BOINC applications. You
> know, contributing something back for all the help I've gained.

I believe that's the beauty of options like CONFIG_USB_SUSPEND. If you
leave the machine running crunching numbers (of whatever), with
USB_SUSPEND the devices not used (say, the backup disk you transfer to
the results of your crunching every weekend) can be suspended, saving
a little bit of power.

You don't leave the monitor turned on and disable the power off
features of it, right?

Really, I think many others have contributed enough reasons to make it
obvious that there is no reason to not turn on this kind of options in
the kernel.

Regards.
--
Canek Pelez Valds
Posgrado en Ciencia e Ingeniera de la Computacin
Universidad Nacional Autnoma de Mxico
 
Old 09-17-2012, 10:18 PM
Dale
 
Default Kernel options and udisk

Michael Mol wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 3:08 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Michael Mol wrote:
>>> On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 2:26 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>> Michael Mol wrote:
>>>>> On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 2:00 PM, Volker Armin Hemmann
>>>>> <volkerarmin@googlemail.com> wrote:
>>>>>> Am Montag, 17. September 2012, 12:34:12 schrieb covici@ccs.covici.com:
>>>>>>> OK, sorry if this is a dumb question, but I did search for it using make
>>>>>>> menuconfig, but could not actually find it! I have all my usb host
>>>>>>> controller drivers as modules, if that makes any difference. I am using
>>>>>>> 3.4.0-gentoo.
>>>>>> hit / in menuconfig. It is there.
>>>>> Although I do believe you need to remove the CONFIG_ prefix before you search.
>>>>>
>>>> Also, there are also other options that must be turned on for it to show
>>>> up. I had to enable other things before I could find it in the menu.
>>>> This is another reason I asked the question on whether it is really
>>>> needed or not. It wasn't just one thing I had to enable but a couple
>>>> other things too. I'm still not sure I need either of those but . . .
>>> You do, for the same reason you need electricity; you may not use
>>> electricity directly, but something you use does.
>>>
>>> Similarly, you may not need this config option, but something you use
>>> does (or something you use uses something you use which does).
>>>
>>> Further, the config option won't be available unless all of the things
>>> _it_ uses are enabled. So, if this config option X isn't available
>>> because it needs config option Y, you need config option Y, because
>>> you need config option X, because you need udisks, because you need
>>> something which needs udisks.
>>>
>>> So if some option X says "don't enable this unless you need it", and
>>> you need some option Z, which says it needs option X, then, yes, you
>>> need option X, because you need option Z.
>>>
>>> This is what Volker meant when he said that there was no 'unsure' at
>>> play. Since you're sure you want udisk (because you installed it),
>>> then, logically following, you're sure you want whatever udisk depends
>>> on. (Either that, or you're not being logical. ^^ )
>>>
>>
>> But, I was still unsure. If it wants me to enable the option for
>> battery monitoring, do I do that too? I don't have any batteries but it
>> wants the option enabled so to use your logic, I must need it because it
>> asks for it even tho I don't use it and can't use it.
> When it comes to software, even if you don't actively use a thing, you
> may depend on it being there. The reasons involved could come from any
> of dozens of programming issues you may be unaware of or uncaring of;
> it could come from the need of a programmer to simplify his reasoning
> about a system in order to simplify his code (or the problem his code
> is trying to solve). It could come from some automatic linking process
> that looks for a symbol even if the function that symbol represents is
> never called in practice. It could come from some indirect artifact of
> the thing being there.
>
> You're trying to apply a holistic reasoning basis to a deterministic
> dependency problem. That kind of logic is the same kind of logic that
> leads to stories such as "but why won't you plug in your computer?"
> "because it makes a lot of noise. Why won't my computer work?"
> "Because it needs power, so you need to plug it in." "But it makes a
> lot of noise."
>
> Apologies for the crass analogy, but it really is the same thing, just
> at a different technical depth.
>

But as I said, the package did compile without it. Since it did compile
without it, it was not a hard, must have, requirement. If the package
would have failed to compile, then I would either have to get rid of the
package or enable the option. The message said it should have the
option just like one should give the computer power. Thing is, my
system was working just fine without the option before. Heck, I still
may not really need the option. The software would just like to have
it. I may even be able to get rid of the software which would be the
next thing if I didn't choose to enable the kernel option. I'm pretty
sure it is KDE that is pulling all this extra stuff in.

Now that I know more about the option, I added it. Maybe when I reboot
it will be happy. ;-)

Dale

:-) :-)

--
I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 10:07 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org