Old 09-16-2012, 10:59 AM
Andrew Lowe

Default Samba wants to downgrade my python....

Hi all,
I've got a media server that I'm in the process of installing Samba on.
When I do:

emerge -NuD --pretend samba

I get a list of stuff that portage wants to install, including Python,
V2.7.3, even though the machine already has V3.2.3 installed. I've also
stripped down the USE variables to basically "server" and that's all and
still for some reason portage wants to bring in Python - the older
version, V2. I've even added a "-python" to packages.use and it still
wants python, V2. I've had a look at the USE variables for the packages
that follow Python in the emerge list and they either don't want python
or already have "-python" set.

Having a play around with equery also didn't reveal anything. Does
anyone have any ideas as to what's causing old Python to be brought in?
I haven't posted the whole "emerge --info" stuff yet as hopefully
someone has come across this problem before.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated,

Andrew

Old 09-16-2012, 11:19 AM
Randolph Maaßen

On Sep 16, 2012 1:05 PM, "Andrew Lowe" <agl@wht.com.au> wrote:

> Hi all,

> * * * * I've got a media server that I'm in the process of installing Samba on. When I do:

> emerge -NuD --pretend samba

> I get a list of stuff that portage wants to install, including Python, V2.7.3, even though the machine already has V3.2.3 installed. I've also stripped down the USE variables to basically "server" and that's all and still for some reason portage wants to bring in Python - the older version, V2. I've even added a "-python" to packages.use and it still wants python, V2. I've had a look at the USE variables for the packages that follow Python in the emerge list and they either don't want python or already have "-python" set.

> * * * * Having a play around with equery also didn't reveal anything. Does anyone have any ideas as to what's causing old Python to be brought in? I haven't posted the whole "emerge --info" stuff yet as hopefully someone has come across this problem before.

> * * * * Any thoughts greatly appreciated,

> * * * * * * * * Andrew

Hi, when you are dealing with python always remember that the API has changed between version 2 and 3 so python 3 can't handle python 2 scripts.

So what I think emerge is doing here is installing python 2.7 beside 3.2.

When you add the verbose flag to the emerge command, you will probably see something like [ NS ] or [ uS ] at the beginning of the python line. The S stands for new slot, so both version will be installedbecause samba or one of it's dependency is using python 2 scripts.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best Regards

Randolph Maaßen