Old 09-15-2012, 05:05 AM
"G.Wolfe Woodbury"

Default How do I determine the processor type? -- grub2 comments

On 09/15/2012 12:28 AM, Dale wrote:
> Put your kernel and such on /boot and run update-grub if I recall
> correctly. I installed Kubuntu for my brother and it has grub2 which
> has some magic sprinkled on it. I'm not sure how to tell it where to
> point for the root partition tho. That may require a thread here if
> google doesn't help. I might add, you may get better Ubuntu answers
> here than from the Ubuntu folks. I'll forgive you if everyone else
> will. ROFL Dale :-) :-)
grub2 is a completely rewritten animal, so it is *different*

grub2-install /dev/sd??

is the incantation to put grub2 onto the selected boot partition. Then

<editor> /etc/default/grub
grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg

is the incantation for making the basic configuration. If you have
multiple installations
on disk, emerge "os-prober" to bring in the detection of "foreign"
operating systems.
This creates the grub.cfg file, which prominently features a "DO NOT
EDIT" warning at the
top of the file; rank beginners are advised to edit /etc/defaut/grub if
that can make the changes
you want, but more advanced users can edit the grub.cfg to achieve
desired results.

For example, my grub.cfg has the default entry for my preferred OS to
boot, and then has
entries that bing in other configuration files for various other
situations. I've got two
Gentoo collections, the Fedora collection and the Windows7 config. the
grub2 "info"
pages are complete but a little dense and not as well organized as they
might be.

Good Luck.

--
G.Wolfe Woodbury

Old 09-15-2012, 06:45 AM

On Sat, Sep 15, 2012 at 01:05:41AM -0400, G.Wolfe Woodbury wrote:
> On 09/15/2012 12:28 AM, Dale wrote:
> > Put your kernel and such on /boot and run update-grub if I recall
> > correctly. I installed Kubuntu for my brother and it has grub2 which
> > has some magic sprinkled on it. I'm not sure how to tell it where to
> > point for the root partition tho. That may require a thread here if
> > google doesn't help. I might add, you may get better Ubuntu answers
> > here than from the Ubuntu folks. I'll forgive you if everyone else
> > will. ROFL Dale :-) :-)
> grub2 is a completely rewritten animal, so it is *different*
>
> grub2-install /dev/sd??
>
> is the incantation to put grub2 onto the selected boot partition. Then
>
> <editor> /etc/default/grub
> grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg

I figure I have to keep the existing Ubuntu install happy for a couple
of weeks. This is a work laptop and the Ubuntu side is productive
right now, so gentoo is my spare time conversion, and only after I
have it doing everything the Ubuntu install does, can I muck up
Ubuntu. It also is a handy reference if I get in a gentoo corner,
like setting up X or KVM.

Felix Finch: scarecrow repairman & rocket surgeon / felix@crowfix.com
GPG = E987 4493 C860 246C 3B1E 6477 7838 76E9 182E 8151 ITAR license #4933