FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 09-15-2012, 03:24 AM
Dale
 
Default UPS and serial or USB connections

Howdy,

Newegg just had a sale on a really nice UPS. I got one. Anyway, it has
both serial and USB connections. I have a question about these. I
could use either one but not sure if it matters. Does the USB
connection offer any additional features over the serial connection? I
could use USB but would rather use serial since nothing else I have is
serial but I have a bit of USB devices. Also, I never disconnect the
serial cable from either the system or the UPS when either is in use.
Sort of defeats the purpose I guess. Since it also has screws to make
sure the serial cable doesn't come undone, the serial has one
advantage. I'm not sure what would happen if it looses the connection
all of a sudden. Does it do like NORAD and assume power is out? lol

So, since I already have everything set up for serial connections,
should I just keep using it or does the USB have more goodies?

Thanks.

Dale

:-) :-)


P. S. Crap, there goes my uptime again. :-@

--
I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!
 
Old 09-15-2012, 03:47 AM
"J. Roeleveld"
 
Default UPS and serial or USB connections

Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:
Howdy,

Newegg just had a sale on a really nice UPS. I got one. Anyway, it has
both serial and USB connections. I have a question about these. I
could use either one but not sure if it matters. Does the USB
connection offer any additional features over the serial connection? I
could use USB but would rather use serial since nothing else I have is
serial but I have a bit of USB devices. Also, I never disconnect the
serial cable from either the system or the UPS when either is in use.
Sort of defeats the purpose I guess. Since it also has screws to make
sure the serial cable doesn't come undone, the serial has one
advantage. I'm not sure what would happen if it looses the connection
all of a sudden. Does it do like NORAD and assume power is out? lol

So, since I already have everything set up for se
rial
connections,
should I just keep using it or does the USB have more goodies?

Thanks.

Dale

:-) :-)


P. S. Crap, there goes my uptime again. :-@
Dale.



It depends on the UPS wether or not you get different functionality between serial or USB. You would need to check the manual and support for the UPS by NUT (or whichever tool you use)



How UPS software responds to a connection failure depends on how you configure it.



In other words. You haven't provided enough information on the UPS to give any meaningfull answers



Which UPS and which UPS software are you using?



--

Joost

--

Sent from my Android phone with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.
 
Old 09-15-2012, 04:21 AM
Dale
 
Default UPS and serial or USB connections

J. Roeleveld wrote:



Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:

Howdy,

Newegg just had a sale on a really nice UPS. I got one. Anyway, it has
both serial and USB connections. I have a question about these. I
could use either one but not sure if it matters. Does the USB
connection offer any additional features over the serial connection? I
could use USB but would rather use serial since nothing else I have is
serial but I have a bit of USB devices. Also, I never disconnect the
serial cable from either the system or the UPS when either is in use.
Sort of defeats the purpose I guess. Since it also has screws to make
sure the serial cable doesn't come undone, the serial has one
advantage. I'm not sure what would happen if it looses the connection
all of a sudden. Does it do like NORAD and assume power is out? lol

So, since I already have everything set up for se
rial
connections,
should I just keep using it or does the USB have more goodies?

Thanks.

Dale

:-) :-)


P. S. Crap, there goes my uptime again. :-@




Dale.



It depends on the UPS wether or not you get different
functionality between serial or USB. You would need to check the
manual and support for the UPS by NUT (or whichever tool you use)



How UPS software responds to a connection failure depends on how
you configure it.



In other words. You haven't provided enough information on the UPS
to give any meaningfull answers



Which UPS and which UPS software are you using?



--

Joost

--

Sent from my Android phone with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my
brevity.





Ooops.* I thought I put the model.* It's a CyberPower 1350AVR.* My
old UPS is a CyberPower 1250AVR but it is about 10 years old.* I
have one working plug left on the back of it.* I literally wore the
plugs out.* lol



According to the book, and the box, the new one uses powerpanel
which is the same as I use on the old UPS.* Since it uses the same
drivers/software, I figure it will work like my old one does.* Then
again, this is newer so that's why I ask.* My old one has LEDs on it
where this one has a display with more info than my old one.*



http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16842102070



I don't yet have the UPS hooked up to the puter.* I'm letting the
battery charge overnight first.* It says it is fully charged but
still.* Also, if it is going to blow up or something, I'd rather it
do all that before I plug my rig up to it.* o_O



Thanks.



Dale



:-)* :-)*

--
I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!
 
Old 09-15-2012, 05:27 AM
"J. Roeleveld"
 
Default UPS and serial or USB connections

Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:





J. Roeleveld wrote:



Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:

Howdy,

Newegg just had a sale on a really nice UPS. I got one. Anyway, it has
both serial and USB connections. I have a question about these. I
could use either one but not sure if it matters. Does the USB
connection offer any additional features over the serial connection? I
could use USB but would rather use serial since nothing else I have is
serial but I have a bit of USB devices. Also, I never disconnect the
serial cable from either the system or the UPS when either is in use.
Sort of defeats the purpose I guess. Since it also has screws to make
sure the serial cable doesn't come undone, the serial has one
advantage. I'm not sure what would happen if it looses the connection
all of a sudden. Does it do like NORAD and assume power is out? lol

So, since I already have everything set up for se
rial
connections,
should I just keep using it or does the USB have more goodies?

Thanks.

Dale

:-) :-)


P. S. Crap, there goes my uptime again. :-@




Dale.



It depends on the UPS wether or not you get different
functionality between serial or USB. You would need to check the
manual and support for the UPS by NUT (or whichever tool you use)



How UPS software responds to a connection failure depends on how
you configure it.



In other words. You haven't provided enough information on the UPS
to give any meaningfull answers



Which UPS and which UPS software are you using?



--

Joost

--

Sent from my Android phone with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my
brevity.





Ooops.* I thought I put the model.* It's a CyberPower 1350AVR.* My
old UPS is a CyberPower 1250AVR but it is about 10 years old.* I
have one working plug left on the back of it.* I literally wore the
plugs out.* lol



According to the book, and the box, the new one uses powerpanel
which is the same as I use on the old UPS.* Since it uses the same
drivers/software, I figure it will work like my old one does.* Then
again, this is newer so that's why I ask.* My old one has LEDs on it
where this one has a display with more info than my old one.*



http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16842102070



I don't yet have the UPS hooked up to the puter.* I'm letting the
battery charge overnight first.* It says it is fully charged but
still.* Also, if it is going to blow up or something, I'd rather it
do all that before I plug my rig up to it.* o_O



Thanks.



Dale



:-)* :-)*

--
I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!



Software is MS Windows only according to that site.

What are you using on Linux?



Sometimes the software on the UPS gets changed. This might mean it is not compatible anymore.

--

Sent from my Android phone with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.
 
Old 09-15-2012, 06:22 AM
Dale
 
Default UPS and serial or USB connections

J. Roeleveld wrote:








Software is MS Windows only according to that site.

What are you using on Linux?



Sometimes the software on the UPS gets changed. This might mean it
is not compatible anymore.

--

Sent from my Android phone with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my
brevity.





I haven't connected the UPS yet so I'm still using my old UPS and
nut software.* It has a Linux version on the CD but no mention of
Gentoo, just rpm and deb.* I tried to install this once before and I
never got the software to work right.* I think it was the init
scripts that caused trouble.*



I looked at the nut website and it says the new UPS uses usbhid-ups
which appears to need to be connected to the UPS by USB.* I'll try
the serial cable first, see what if anything it reports, then try
USB and see if it reports the same thing.* The old UPS uses
powerpanel drivers within nut.* That is sort of confusing since they
call the Linux drivers the same as the windows software.*



Looks like I'm going to have to test this to see if it works or
not.* If it does, may need to report it to the people on the nut
website.* I would prefer serial if it works the same myself.*



Thanks much.*



Dale



:-)* :-)*

--
I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!
 
Old 09-17-2012, 02:56 PM
Paul Hartman
 
Default UPS and serial or USB connections

On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 10:24 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> Newegg just had a sale on a really nice UPS. I got one. Anyway, it has
> both serial and USB connections. I have a question about these. I
> could use either one but not sure if it matters. Does the USB
> connection offer any additional features over the serial connection? I
> could use USB but would rather use serial since nothing else I have is
> serial but I have a bit of USB devices. Also, I never disconnect the
> serial cable from either the system or the UPS when either is in use.
> Sort of defeats the purpose I guess. Since it also has screws to make
> sure the serial cable doesn't come undone, the serial has one
> advantage. I'm not sure what would happen if it looses the connection
> all of a sudden. Does it do like NORAD and assume power is out? lol
>
> So, since I already have everything set up for serial connections,
> should I just keep using it or does the USB have more goodies?

I would be surprised if there is any difference. Usually the UPS just
spits out a heartbeat of the same information every X seconds.

I have a newer-model Cyberpower UPS and it works fine with NUT, so
you're probably okay there. If you already have serial port set up and
working then you've already got the hard part taken care of.
 
Old 09-17-2012, 06:48 PM
Dale
 
Default UPS and serial or USB connections

Paul Hartman wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 10:24 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Howdy,
>>
>> Newegg just had a sale on a really nice UPS. I got one. Anyway, it has
>> both serial and USB connections. I have a question about these. I
>> could use either one but not sure if it matters. Does the USB
>> connection offer any additional features over the serial connection? I
>> could use USB but would rather use serial since nothing else I have is
>> serial but I have a bit of USB devices. Also, I never disconnect the
>> serial cable from either the system or the UPS when either is in use.
>> Sort of defeats the purpose I guess. Since it also has screws to make
>> sure the serial cable doesn't come undone, the serial has one
>> advantage. I'm not sure what would happen if it looses the connection
>> all of a sudden. Does it do like NORAD and assume power is out? lol
>>
>> So, since I already have everything set up for serial connections,
>> should I just keep using it or does the USB have more goodies?
> I would be surprised if there is any difference. Usually the UPS just
> spits out a heartbeat of the same information every X seconds.
>
> I have a newer-model Cyberpower UPS and it works fine with NUT, so
> you're probably okay there. If you already have serial port set up and
> working then you've already got the hard part taken care of.
>
>


I think I am going to try USB first, see what it does and what info it
gives. Then go back to serial and compare. If it does as you and me
think it will, I'm going to stick with serial. If for no other reason
than it frees up a USB port plus it is very hard to accidentally unplug
my serial cable since it has the screws to hold it in.

I still have not hooked this thing up yet. We have storms predicted
here over the next couple days so I figure I will get a chance to switch
whether I want to reboot or not. :/ I live close to the end of the
power lines, phone lines and everything else including the road. If
anything happens, we lose the connection. There are lots of trees
between here and town.

I'll post the results when I get switched over. Then we have a answer
to the question.

Dale

:-) :-)

--
I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!
 
Old 09-18-2012, 06:11 AM
"J. Roeleveld"
 
Default UPS and serial or USB connections

On Mon, September 17, 2012 8:48 pm, Dale wrote:
> I still have not hooked this thing up yet. We have storms predicted
> here over the next couple days so I figure I will get a chance to switch
> whether I want to reboot or not. :/ I live close to the end of the
> power lines, phone lines and everything else including the road. If
> anything happens, we lose the connection. There are lots of trees
> between here and town.
>
> I'll post the results when I get switched over. Then we have a answer
> to the question.

Dale,

A good way to test a new UPS is to use it to power a light and hook up the
USB/Serial/... to a computer to see what information you can get out of it
in the various "normal" situations of "plugged in" and "not plugged in"

You don't need to reboot your machine for that.

--
Joost
 
Old 09-18-2012, 07:03 AM
Dale
 
Default UPS and serial or USB connections

J. Roeleveld wrote:
> On Mon, September 17, 2012 8:48 pm, Dale wrote:
>> I still have not hooked this thing up yet. We have storms predicted
>> here over the next couple days so I figure I will get a chance to switch
>> whether I want to reboot or not. :/ I live close to the end of the
>> power lines, phone lines and everything else including the road. If
>> anything happens, we lose the connection. There are lots of trees
>> between here and town.
>>
>> I'll post the results when I get switched over. Then we have a answer
>> to the question.
> Dale,
>
> A good way to test a new UPS is to use it to power a light and hook up the
> USB/Serial/... to a computer to see what information you can get out of it
> in the various "normal" situations of "plugged in" and "not plugged in"
>
> You don't need to reboot your machine for that.
>

I need to reboot when I plug the power cord up tho. I have the UPS
plugged in and the battery is charged. I even hooked it up to a older
rig that was given to me and the UPS works fine. I just have not done
anything as far as hooking it to my main rig yet. I also have not
hooked up the data part, just the power part. I was running memtest on
the older rig to test some ram so no need trying to hook up the data
part on that. ;-)

Plus, aren't you supposed to only unplug/plug a serial cable when it is
off? I'm not sure if they are sensitive to that but pretty sure they
were a long time ago.

Dale

:-) :-)

--
I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!
 
Old 09-18-2012, 07:51 AM
"J. Roeleveld"
 
Default UPS and serial or USB connections

On Tue, September 18, 2012 9:03 am, Dale wrote:
> J. Roeleveld wrote:
>> On Mon, September 17, 2012 8:48 pm, Dale wrote:
>>> I still have not hooked this thing up yet. We have storms predicted
>>> here over the next couple days so I figure I will get a chance to
>>> switch
>>> whether I want to reboot or not. :/ I live close to the end of the
>>> power lines, phone lines and everything else including the road. If
>>> anything happens, we lose the connection. There are lots of trees
>>> between here and town.
>>>
>>> I'll post the results when I get switched over. Then we have a answer
>>> to the question.
>> Dale,
>>
>> A good way to test a new UPS is to use it to power a light and hook up
>> the
>> USB/Serial/... to a computer to see what information you can get out of
>> it
>> in the various "normal" situations of "plugged in" and "not plugged in"
>>
>> You don't need to reboot your machine for that.
>>
>
> I need to reboot when I plug the power cord up tho. I have the UPS
> plugged in and the battery is charged. I even hooked it up to a older
> rig that was given to me and the UPS works fine. I just have not done
> anything as far as hooking it to my main rig yet. I also have not
> hooked up the data part, just the power part. I was running memtest on
> the older rig to test some ram so no need trying to hook up the data
> part on that. ;-)
>
> Plus, aren't you supposed to only unplug/plug a serial cable when it is
> off? I'm not sure if they are sensitive to that but pretty sure they
> were a long time ago.

Not sure about Serial, I always did even when switched on when using
external modems in the past and never did have a problem there.

But if you want to see what USB gives as info, you could plug the
USB-cable into your computer and see what info you can get?

--
Joost
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 10:31 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org