Old 09-18-2012, 09:48 PM
Alan McKinnon

Default UPS and serial or USB connections

On Tue, 18 Sep 2012 16:00:00 -0500
Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 3:21 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Neil Bothwick wrote:

> >> The problem is in the connectors, it's too easy to get a static
> >> discharge when connecting them. USB has grounded shields over the
> >> connectors.
> >>

> > Somewhat off topic, how about a monitor that uses the 15 pin
> > connector? I try not to do those when something is powered up but
> > have done it a couple times. Is that one safe to hotplug? I never
> > thought about that until this came up.
>
> VGA is not hot-pluggable by specification, but DVI and HDMI are
> hot-pluggable.

As someone who's done more electronics work than he ever should, any
device that can suffer electrical damage simply by being plugged and
unplugged from the thing it's supposed to be plugged into is a shoddy
design and really should be in the bin.

The only thing I ever found that was susceptible to this was ancient
RS232 kit, and the cause was always inadequate shielding and isolation.
In the last 10 years I only know of one product sold that has this
problem and sadly that's the first run of the Raspberry Pi...

You can safely plug and unplug VGA all day long and be hit by lightning
more often than damage the monitor, repair techies have been doing it
for years. VGA connectors are shrouded, you are virtually guaranteed an
earth connection before any of the data pins make contact and you'll
never have a situation where 25V is trying to shake hands with 5V (that
was a major problem with RS232 stuff).

Of course, there's no guarantee the picture will show on the screen if
you hotplug VGA, but there's no inherent danger of damage either.

--
Alan McKinnon
alan.mckinnon@gmail.com

Old 09-19-2012, 12:33 AM
Dale

Alan McKinnon wrote:
> As someone who's done more electronics work than he ever should, any
> device that can suffer electrical damage simply by being plugged and
> unplugged from the thing it's supposed to be plugged into is a shoddy
> design and really should be in the bin. The only thing I ever found
> that was susceptible to this was ancient RS232 kit, and the cause was
> always inadequate shielding and isolation. In the last 10 years I only
> know of one product sold that has this problem and sadly that's the
> first run of the Raspberry Pi... You can safely plug and unplug VGA
> all day long and be hit by lightning more often than damage the
> monitor, repair techies have been doing it for years. VGA connectors
> are shrouded, you are virtually guaranteed an earth connection before
> any of the data pins make contact and you'll never have a situation
> where 25V is trying to shake hands with 5V (that was a major problem
> with RS232 stuff). Of course, there's no guarantee the picture will
> show on the screen if you hotplug VGA, but there's no inherent danger
> of damage either.

I have done that with monitors a few times, no problems but was
curious. I have had that problem with a PS/2 keyboard tho. That has
happened to me twice and I saw that with my own eyes. I have heard of
people who have had the same thing happen so I only swap my keyboard
when my rig is off. I don't want to build another rig. ;-)

New question about HDMI. I have a pretty nice video card that has a 15
pin connector and HDMI. Do I have to do anything special to use the
HDMI or does it just send the same signal to both connectors? I have my
monitor hooked to the 15 pin connector but would like to hook my TV to
the HDMI connector. Same signal on both is fine with me. I would just
rather watch movies and such on my TV instead of my monitor. I googled
a while back and just couldn't figure out how this works. It seems to
me that it works different based on how it is set up or something. My
card is Nvidia and it is a GT220 with 1Gb of ram. It was donated so no
links or anything.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 09-19-2012, 02:03 AM
Paul Hartman

On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 7:33 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:
> New question about HDMI. I have a pretty nice video card that has a 15
> pin connector and HDMI. Do I have to do anything special to use the
> HDMI or does it just send the same signal to both connectors? I have my
> monitor hooked to the 15 pin connector but would like to hook my TV to
> the HDMI connector. Same signal on both is fine with me. I would just
> rather watch movies and such on my TV instead of my monitor. I googled
> a while back and just couldn't figure out how this works. It seems to
> me that it works different based on how it is set up or something. My
> card is Nvidia and it is a GT220 with 1Gb of ram. It was donated so no
> links or anything.

If you use the nvidia-drivers package you should also emerge
nvidia-settings, which has a nice GUI that will let you configure the
multiple screens and decide how you'd like to treat them.

Old 09-19-2012, 09:36 AM
Dale

Dale wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> Newegg just had a sale on a really nice UPS. I got one. Anyway, it has
> both serial and USB connections. I have a question about these. I
> could use either one but not sure if it matters. Does the USB
> connection offer any additional features over the serial connection? I
> could use USB but would rather use serial since nothing else I have is
> serial but I have a bit of USB devices. Also, I never disconnect the
> serial cable from either the system or the UPS when either is in use.
> Sort of defeats the purpose I guess. Since it also has screws to make
> sure the serial cable doesn't come undone, the serial has one
> advantage. I'm not sure what would happen if it looses the connection
> all of a sudden. Does it do like NORAD and assume power is out? lol
>
> So, since I already have everything set up for serial connections,
> should I just keep using it or does the USB have more goodies?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Dale
>
> :-) :-)
>

> P. S. Crap, there goes my uptime again. :-@

OK. I finally bit the bullet and did a shutdown. I *had* over 30 days
of uptime too. Grrrrr !!

Anyway, when I connected it to the serial port, it would rather rudely
cut off my puter after a couple minutes. Click, off. So, I hooked up
the USB cable so that I could get back to going again. I'm going to
have to google on how to get this to work with the serial cable. I
found the settings for USB but nothing for this driver and a serial
connection.

This is the info I get from the UPS with a USB connection for those
interested.

root@fireball / # upsc ups
battery.charge: 100
battery.charge.low: 10
battery.charge.warning: 20
battery.mfr.date: CPS
battery.runtime: 2100
battery.runtime.low: 300
battery.type: PbAcid
battery.voltage: 13.9
battery.voltage.nominal: 12
device.mfr: CPS
device.model: CP 1350C
device.type: ups
driver.name: usbhid-ups
driver.parameter.pollfreq: 30
driver.parameter.pollinterval: 2
driver.parameter.port: auto
driver.parameter.productid: 0501
driver.parameter.vendorid: 0764
driver.version: 2.6.3
driver.version.data: CyberPower HID 0.3
driver.version.internal: 0.35
input.transfer.high: 140
input.transfer.low: 90
input.voltage: 124.0
input.voltage.nominal: 120
output.voltage: 124.0
ups.beeper.status: enabled
ups.delay.shutdown: 20
ups.delay.start: 30
ups.load: 16
ups.mfr: CPS
ups.model: CP 1350C
ups.productid: 0501
ups.realpower.nominal: 298
ups.status: OL
ups.test.result: Done and passed
ups.timer.shutdown: -60
ups.timer.start: 0
ups.vendorid: 0764
root@fireball / #

I got to make some changes tho. When it cut me off, it did NOT do a
clean shutdown. It just cut off. That ain't going to work for me. o_O

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 09-19-2012, 09:49 PM
Dale

Paul Hartman wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 7:33 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:
>> New question about HDMI. I have a pretty nice video card that has a 15
>> pin connector and HDMI. Do I have to do anything special to use the
>> HDMI or does it just send the same signal to both connectors? I have my
>> monitor hooked to the 15 pin connector but would like to hook my TV to
>> the HDMI connector. Same signal on both is fine with me. I would just
>> rather watch movies and such on my TV instead of my monitor. I googled
>> a while back and just couldn't figure out how this works. It seems to
>> me that it works different based on how it is set up or something. My
>> card is Nvidia and it is a GT220 with 1Gb of ram. It was donated so no
>> links or anything.
> If you use the nvidia-drivers package you should also emerge
> nvidia-settings, which has a nice GUI that will let you configure the
> multiple screens and decide how you'd like to treat them.

I have that installed but I guess I have to plug it up to be able to do
anything related to settings. I need to try this one day. It could be
that HDMI has a better picture somehow.

Thanks for the info tho. At least now I know where to set this up.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 09-19-2012, 10:09 PM
Mark Knecht

On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 2:49 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:
> Paul Hartman wrote:
<SNIP>
>> If you use the nvidia-drivers package you should also emerge
>> nvidia-settings, which has a nice GUI that will let you configure the
>> multiple screens and decide how you'd like to treat them.

Actually, I believe with the newest nvidia-drivers packages
nvidia-settings is now part of that package so no need to emerge it
specifically anymore.

mark@slinky ~ $ eix -Ic nvidia
[i] dev-util/nvidia-cuda-sdk (4.2{tbz2}@09/01/12): NVIDIA CUDA
Software Development Kit
[i] dev-util/nvidia-cuda-toolkit (4.2{tbz2}@09/01/12): NVIDIA CUDA Toolkit
[i] x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers (304.48{tbz2}@09/14/12): NVIDIA X11
driver and GLX libraries
Found 3 matches.
mark@slinky ~ $ equery files nvidia-drivers | grep nvidia-settings
/etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/95-nvidia-settings
/opt/bin/nvidia-settings
/usr/share/man/man1/nvidia-settings.1.bz2
mark@slinky ~ $

I think this has been true for awhile but I only recently ran across it.

HTH,
Mark

Old 09-19-2012, 10:16 PM
Paul Hartman

On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 5:09 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 2:49 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Paul Hartman wrote:
> <SNIP>
>>> If you use the nvidia-drivers package you should also emerge
>>> nvidia-settings, which has a nice GUI that will let you configure the
>>> multiple screens and decide how you'd like to treat them.
>
> Actually, I believe with the newest nvidia-drivers packages
> nvidia-settings is now part of that package so no need to emerge it
> specifically anymore.
>
> mark@slinky ~ $ eix -Ic nvidia
> [i] dev-util/nvidia-cuda-sdk (4.2{tbz2}@09/01/12): NVIDIA CUDA
> Software Development Kit
> [i] dev-util/nvidia-cuda-toolkit (4.2{tbz2}@09/01/12): NVIDIA CUDA Toolkit
> [i] x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers (304.48{tbz2}@09/14/12): NVIDIA X11
> driver and GLX libraries
> Found 3 matches.
> mark@slinky ~ $ equery files nvidia-drivers | grep nvidia-settings
> /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/95-nvidia-settings
> /opt/bin/nvidia-settings
> /usr/share/man/man1/nvidia-settings.1.bz2
> mark@slinky ~ $
>
> I think this has been true for awhile but I only recently ran across it.

You're right, it is installed via the "tools" USE flag on nvidia-drivers now.

Old 09-19-2012, 10:59 PM
Dale

Paul Hartman wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 5:09 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 2:49 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Paul Hartman wrote:
>> <SNIP>
>> Actually, I believe with the newest nvidia-drivers packages
>> nvidia-settings is now part of that package so no need to emerge it
>> specifically anymore.
>>
>> mark@slinky ~ $ eix -Ic nvidia
>> [i] dev-util/nvidia-cuda-sdk (4.2{tbz2}@09/01/12): NVIDIA CUDA
>> Software Development Kit
>> [i] dev-util/nvidia-cuda-toolkit (4.2{tbz2}@09/01/12): NVIDIA CUDA Toolkit
>> [i] x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers (304.48{tbz2}@09/14/12): NVIDIA X11
>> driver and GLX libraries
>> Found 3 matches.
>> mark@slinky ~ $ equery files nvidia-drivers | grep nvidia-settings
>> /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/95-nvidia-settings
>> /opt/bin/nvidia-settings
>> /usr/share/man/man1/nvidia-settings.1.bz2
>> mark@slinky ~ $
>>
>> I think this has been true for awhile but I only recently ran across it.
> You're right, it is installed via the "tools" USE flag on nvidia-drivers now.

I still have both installed here. I'll get rid of the settings one and
see what happens. This may explain why I have two entries in the K menu
tho. There may be two versions installed, knowing me, I'm clicking on
the old one. lol

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 10-05-2012, 10:47 AM
Dale

One more update I guess. I couldn't get this to work with serial. The
driver for this thing appears to be USB only. I might could get it to
work in dumb mode but I don't want that anyway. So, if you buy a model
similar to CyberPower 1350AVRLCD, don't depend on using serial
connections.

One other thing I don't like, it doesn't give me a internal temperature
measurement. My old one did and I liked that. I actually had a
external fan blowing air on the side where the vent holes are. It would
be 100F even in a 70F room and it only 8 inches or so off the floor.
That said, when in standby mode, it is cool to the touch so it seem to
be a cool runner. It does have a fan that runs when it is running off
the batteries tho. That makes me feel better.

Thanks to all for the replies.

Dale

:-) :-)