Old 09-18-2012, 08:10 AM
Dale

Default UPS and serial or USB connections

J. Roeleveld wrote:
> On Tue, September 18, 2012 9:03 am, Dale wrote:
>> J. Roeleveld wrote:

>>> Dale,
>>>
>>> A good way to test a new UPS is to use it to power a light and hook up
>>> the
>>> USB/Serial/... to a computer to see what information you can get out of
>>> it
>>> in the various "normal" situations of "plugged in" and "not plugged in"
>>>
>>> You don't need to reboot your machine for that.
>>>
>> I need to reboot when I plug the power cord up tho. I have the UPS
>> plugged in and the battery is charged. I even hooked it up to a older
>> rig that was given to me and the UPS works fine. I just have not done
>> anything as far as hooking it to my main rig yet. I also have not
>> hooked up the data part, just the power part. I was running memtest on
>> the older rig to test some ram so no need trying to hook up the data
>> part on that. ;-)
>>
>> Plus, aren't you supposed to only unplug/plug a serial cable when it is
>> off? I'm not sure if they are sensitive to that but pretty sure they
>> were a long time ago.
> Not sure about Serial, I always did even when switched on when using
> external modems in the past and never did have a problem there.
>
> But if you want to see what USB gives as info, you could plug the
> USB-cable into your computer and see what info you can get?

Well, my old UPS is hooked to serial. I also have to recompile nut with
the correct drivers. I guess I could enable both drivers, old UPS and
new UPS, and see what that does. Well, I'd have to edit my config file
too. Sounds like time to backup /etc again, just in case. ;-)

Since we had some storms today, I was expecting at least one power
outage. Since I wouldn't have minded this time, we have had good clean
power all day long. The storms are mostly gone too. Maybe another
raccoon will jump up on the high voltage transformer at the substation.
It takes them about a hour to clean up the well done critter parts. lol

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 09-18-2012, 09:09 AM
Neil Bothwick

On Tue, 18 Sep 2012 09:51:49 +0200, J. Roeleveld wrote:

> > Plus, aren't you supposed to only unplug/plug a serial cable when it
> > is off? I'm not sure if they are sensitive to that but pretty sure
> > they were a long time ago.
>
> Not sure about Serial, I always did even when switched on when using
> external modems in the past and never did have a problem there.

You were lucky, it's like forgetting to look when you cross the road.
Getting away with it once doesn't mean it is safe.

Yes, I have blown a UART chip by hotplugging a serial cable, because I'd
got away with it before.

--
Neil Bothwick

I'm Pink, Therefore I'm Spam

Old 09-18-2012, 09:50 AM
Dale

Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Sep 2012 09:51:49 +0200, J. Roeleveld wrote:
>
>>> Plus, aren't you supposed to only unplug/plug a serial cable when it
>>> is off? I'm not sure if they are sensitive to that but pretty sure
>>> they were a long time ago.
>> Not sure about Serial, I always did even when switched on when using
>> external modems in the past and never did have a problem there.
> You were lucky, it's like forgetting to look when you cross the road.
> Getting away with it once doesn't mean it is safe.
>
> Yes, I have blown a UART chip by hotplugging a serial cable, because I'd
> got away with it before.

That's what I was thinking. I have busted a mobo by unplugging a PS/2
keyboard too. I thought serial/parallel was the same. I guess that is
one reason USB came along, hot plugging stuff.

One would think that modern stuff would have some sort of protection.
Odd.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 09-18-2012, 10:55 AM
Adam Carter

> You were lucky, it's like forgetting to look when you cross the road.
> Getting away with it once doesn't mean it is safe.
>
> Yes, I have blown a UART chip by hotplugging a serial cable, because I'd
> got away with it before.

I must have hot plugged serial connections on Sun, Cisco and Intel
boxes hundreds of times over the years and as far as i know have never
seen a failure. Typically, the same device would be hot plugged
multiple times so failures would have been noticed. I consider the
risk to be negligible.

Old 09-18-2012, 02:29 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Tue, 18 Sep 2012 20:55:30 +1000, Adam Carter wrote:

> > You were lucky, it's like forgetting to look when you cross the road.
> > Getting away with it once doesn't mean it is safe.
> >
> > Yes, I have blown a UART chip by hotplugging a serial cable, because
> > I'd got away with it before.
>
> I must have hot plugged serial connections on Sun, Cisco and Intel
> boxes hundreds of times over the years and as far as i know have never
> seen a failure. Typically, the same device would be hot plugged
> multiple times so failures would have been noticed. I consider the
> risk to be negligible.

I used to think the same way, until the risk turned out to be less
negligible than I thought. It's entirely your choice whether you continue
to take that risk, but I don't think it is fair to tell others it is
safe to do so.

--
Neil Bothwick

She's fine, upstanding, and wonderful laying down.

Old 09-18-2012, 04:17 PM
Paul Hartman

On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 4:09 AM, Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk> wrote:
> Yes, I have blown a UART chip by hotplugging a serial cable, because I'd
> got away with it before.

The strangest thing I fried via hotplug was an Ethernet card via cat5
cable insertion! It made a little electrical "pop" sound and that was
the end of that.

Actually, I nearly fried myself once when hotplugging coaxial cable TV
wire into my television while everything was powered on. The shock
launched me -- caused me to launch myself, probably -- up into the air
and against a door, fully upright, from a seated position on the
floor. In case anyone is concerned: the TV was unharmed.

Old 09-18-2012, 05:02 PM
Michael Mol

On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 12:17 PM, Paul Hartman
<paul.hartman+gentoo@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 4:09 AM, Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk> wrote:
>> Yes, I have blown a UART chip by hotplugging a serial cable, because I'd
>> got away with it before.
>
> The strangest thing I fried via hotplug was an Ethernet card via cat5
> cable insertion! It made a little electrical "pop" sound and that was
> the end of that.
>
> Actually, I nearly fried myself once when hotplugging coaxial cable TV
> wire into my television while everything was powered on. The shock
> launched me -- caused me to launch myself, probably -- up into the air
> and against a door, fully upright, from a seated position on the
> floor. In case anyone is concerned: the TV was unharmed.

These weren't at the same locale, were they? That sounds like really
electrical ground.

--
:wq

Old 09-18-2012, 05:03 PM
Michael Mol

On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 1:02 PM, Michael Mol <mikemol@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 12:17 PM, Paul Hartman
> <paul.hartman+gentoo@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 4:09 AM, Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk> wrote:
>>> Yes, I have blown a UART chip by hotplugging a serial cable, because I'd
>>> got away with it before.
>>
>> The strangest thing I fried via hotplug was an Ethernet card via cat5
>> cable insertion! It made a little electrical "pop" sound and that was
>> the end of that.
>>
>> Actually, I nearly fried myself once when hotplugging coaxial cable TV
>> wire into my television while everything was powered on. The shock
>> launched me -- caused me to launch myself, probably -- up into the air
>> and against a door, fully upright, from a seated position on the
>> floor. In case anyone is concerned: the TV was unharmed.
>
> These weren't at the same locale, were they? That sounds like really
> electrical ground.

*like a really bad electrical ground. (htf?)

--
:wq

Old 09-18-2012, 06:00 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

Am Dienstag, 18. September 2012, 04:50:30 schrieb Dale:

> One would think that modern stuff would have some sort of protection.
> Odd.

indeed. The modern stuff with protection is called 'usb'.

--
#163933

Old 09-18-2012, 06:02 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

Am Dienstag, 18. September 2012, 13:03:15 schrieb Michael Mol:
> On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 1:02 PM, Michael Mol <mikemol@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 12:17 PM, Paul Hartman
> >
> > <paul.hartman+gentoo@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> The strangest thing I fried via hotplug was an Ethernet card via cat5
> >> cable insertion! It made a little electrical "pop" sound and that was
> >> the end of that.
> >>
> >> Actually, I nearly fried myself once when hotplugging coaxial cable TV
> >> wire into my television while everything was powered on. The shock
> >> launched me -- caused me to launch myself, probably -- up into the air
> >> and against a door, fully upright, from a seated position on the
> >> floor. In case anyone is concerned: the TV was unharmed.
> >
> > These weren't at the same locale, were they? That sounds like really
> > electrical ground.
>
> *like a really bad electrical ground. (htf?)

na, it's fine. He grounded the equipment through his body well. Always
remember: humans are replaceable. A kick ass TV is not.
--
#163933