Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Gentoo User (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/)
-   -   new machine : a few small queries (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/703962-new-machine-few-small-queries.html)

Philip Webb 09-15-2012 12:27 AM

new machine : a few small queries
 
I've got my new machine basically habitable with a few small problems.

(1) In Fluxbox, Gkrellm insists on starting on Desktop 1 ;
on my existing machine with the same config files, it starts on Desktop 8 .
There must be some setting somewhere which has got changed.

(2) Luxi Mono is not coming out cleanly in Gvim or (Xfce) Terminal :
IIRC there's a pkg or a setting somewhere to fix it,
but I can't find it in my extensive notes from the past.

(3) I have 4 heat sensors in Gkrellm : 'k10temp' + 3 * 'it87'.
Can anyone suggest which bit of which device each is measuring ?

The AMD Bulldozer X4 FX-4170 4-Core 4,2 GHz is taking c 3/8 as long
to compile eg Firefox or GCC as this machine's Intel Core2 Duo ;
they also seem to be using less Portage tempspace on disk.
The variable-rate fan is very impressive, ranging 2200 - 6800 rpm .

--
========================,,======================== ====================
SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Cities Centre, University of Toronto
TRANSIT `-O----------O---' purslowatchassdotutorontodotca

Mick 09-15-2012 10:51 PM

new machine : a few small queries
 
On Saturday 15 Sep 2012 01:27:04 Philip Webb wrote:
> I've got my new machine basically habitable with a few small problems.
>
> (1) In Fluxbox, Gkrellm insists on starting on Desktop 1 ;
> on my existing machine with the same config files, it starts on Desktop 8 .
> There must be some setting somewhere which has got changed.

Perhaps something like:

[app] (name=gkrellm)
[Workspace] {0}
[end]

instead of:

[Workspace] {7}

in your ~/.fluxbox/apps file? Or may be you have a [Jump] {yes} command in
there too? Not sure if something similar in ~/.fluxbox/startup could cause
this symptom, so have a look in there just in case.


> (2) Luxi Mono is not coming out cleanly in Gvim or (Xfce) Terminal :
> IIRC there's a pkg or a setting somewhere to fix it,
> but I can't find it in my extensive notes from the past.
>
> (3) I have 4 heat sensors in Gkrellm : 'k10temp' + 3 * 'it87'.
> Can anyone suggest which bit of which device each is measuring ?

Emerge lm_sensors and then run sensors to see what's what.

I am guessing the k10temp is the core temperature of the CPU and the it87 the
chip temperature sensors (3-off) from ACPI?


> The AMD Bulldozer X4 FX-4170 4-Core 4,2 GHz is taking c 3/8 as long
> to compile eg Firefox or GCC as this machine's Intel Core2 Duo ;
> they also seem to be using less Portage tempspace on disk.
> The variable-rate fan is very impressive, ranging 2200 - 6800 rpm .

--
Regards,
Mick

Philip Webb 09-16-2012 12:49 AM

new machine : a few small queries
 
120915 Mick wrote:
> On Saturday 15 Sep 2012 01:27:04 Philip Webb wrote:
>> (1) In Fluxbox, Gkrellm insists on starting on Desktop 1 ;
>> on my existing machine with the same config files, it starts on Desktop 8 .
>> There must be some setting somewhere which has got changed.
> Perhaps something like:
>
> [app] (name=gkrellm)
> [Workspace] {0}
> [end]
>
> instead of:
>
> [Workspace] {7}
>
> in your ~/.fluxbox/apps file ?
> Or may be you have a [Jump] {yes} command in there too ?
> Not sure if something similar in ~/.fluxbox/startup could cause this,
> so have a look in there just in case.

Yes, I looked in those places, but there doesn't seem anything odd:

[app] (name=gkrellm) (class=Gkrellm)
[Workspace] {7}
[Position] (UPPERLEFT) {0 0}
[Close] {yes}
[end]

However, I have a custom 'apps-pp' file too,
which mb getting defined in the new machine's 'init' file.
I've made a note to check tomorrow.

>> (2) Luxi Mono is not coming out cleanly in Gvim or (Xfce) Terminal :
>> IIRC there's a pkg or a setting somewhere to fix it,
>> but I can't find it in my extensive notes from the past.

I've found the note buried in my notes from the 2007 installation :
it needs a file /dev/fonts/local.conf with various settings, esp

<match target="font">
<test name="family">
<string>Luxi Mono</string>
</test>
<test name="pixelsize" compare="less">
<double>24</double>
</test>
<edit name="hinting">
<bool>false</bool>
</edit>
</match>

HTH anyone else who gets ugly fonts in a new box.

>> (3) I have 4 heat sensors in Gkrellm : 'k10temp' + 3 * 'it87'.
>> Can anyone suggest which bit of which device each is measuring ?
> I am guessing the k10temp is the core temperature of the CPU
> and the it87 the chip temperature sensors (3-off) from ACPI?

Well, I can guess equally well (smile). When compiling Firefox & LibreOffice,
the 'it87-3' reached 68 C once, while the other 3 were lower ;
all 4 CPUs were working at 99 % at the time.
IIRC the displayed temperatures are not very accurate: when not active,
3 of the values were well below room temperature, which sb impossible.

I have the impression that the rate of CPU work is being controlled
in order to keep the temperature safely below the cut-off point
which I've set in BIOS, ie 70 C ; also, the variable fan is very impressive.
If so, it must be due to the combination of AMD + Gigabyte (mobo).

Thanks for the advice. (1) must be fairly easy, when I find out why.
Any further info re (3) wb very welcome.

--
========================,,======================== ====================
SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Cities Centre, University of Toronto
TRANSIT `-O----------O---' purslowatchassdotutorontodotca

Philip Webb 09-17-2012 12:20 AM

new machine : a few small queries
 
On Saturday 15 Sep 2012 01:27:04 Philip Webb wrote:
> (1) In Fluxbox, Gkrellm insists on starting on Desktop 1 ;
> on my existing machine with the same config files, it starts on Desktop 8 .
> There must be some setting somewhere which has got changed.

The problem arose from the unadvertised & unexpected fact
that Fluxbox rewrites 'apps' whenever it exits (ugh!).
To work around this feature/bug you have to create your own file
with a different name & tell FB to look for it via a line in 'init'.

HTH others who forget such obscurities.

--
========================,,======================== ====================
SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Cities Centre, University of Toronto
TRANSIT `-O----------O---' purslowatchassdotutorontodotca


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:49 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.