Old 09-14-2012, 11:33 PM

Default How do I determine the processor type?

I have a shiny new System76 laptop with a "3rd Generation Intel Core i7-3720QM Processor (2.60GHz 6MB L3 Cache - 4 Cores plus Hyperthreading)".

It comes with Ubuntu, so naturally my first move was to split the Ubuntu partition in half and install gentoo. I will say no more about my first experiences with Unity.

The Ubunto uname -a says "3.2.0-30-generic #48-Ubuntu SMP Fri Aug 24 16:52:48 UTC 2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux".

I installed the latest stage3 tarball and set up make.conf as

ACCEPT_KEYWORDS=~x86
CFLAGS="-O2 -march=i686 -pipe"
CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"

When I try to compile gentoo-sources-3.5.3, it tells me

scripts/mod/empty.c:1:0: error: CPU you selected does not support x86-64 instruction set

My home system is dual Athlon, ancient, and ~amd64.. I haven't kept track of all the Intel processors, but the kernel config doesn't have many choices.

Felix Finch: scarecrow repairman & rocket surgeon / felix@crowfix.com
GPG = E987 4493 C860 246C 3B1E 6477 7838 76E9 182E 8151 ITAR license #4933

Old 09-14-2012, 11:45 PM
Kerin Millar

felix@crowfix.com wrote:

I have a shiny new System76 laptop with a "3rd Generation Intel Core i7-3720QM Processor (2.60GHz 6MB L3 Cache - 4 Cores plus Hyperthreading)".

It comes with Ubuntu, so naturally my first move was to split the Ubuntu partition in half and install gentoo. I will say no more about my first experiences with Unity.

The Ubunto uname -a says "3.2.0-30-generic #48-Ubuntu SMP Fri Aug 24 16:52:48 UTC 2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux".

Take note - it's a x86_64 host environment.

I installed the latest stage3 tarball and set up make.conf as

Which stage3 tarball exactly?

ACCEPT_KEYWORDS=~x86
CFLAGS="-O2 -march=i686 -pipe"
CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"

This suggests that you unpacked an 32-bit stage tarball. If that is
indeed the case, you should execute the chroot in a different fashion:-

# linux32 chroot /mnt/gentoo/bin/bash

Alternatively, use an amd64 stage tarball. As a side note, you do not
need to set CHOST at all in make.conf.

Old 09-15-2012, 12:04 AM

On Sat, Sep 15, 2012 at 12:45:51AM +0100, Kerin Millar wrote:
> felix@crowfix.com wrote:
> > I have a shiny new System76 laptop with a "3rd Generation Intel Core i7-3720QM Processor (2.60GHz 6MB L3 Cache - 4 Cores plus Hyperthreading)".
> >
> > It comes with Ubuntu, so naturally my first move was to split the Ubuntu partition in half and install gentoo. I will say no more about my first experiences with Unity.
> >
> > The Ubunto uname -a says "3.2.0-30-generic #48-Ubuntu SMP Fri Aug 24 16:52:48 UTC 2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux".
>
> Take note - it's a x86_64 host environment.
>

> > I installed the latest stage3 tarball and set up make.conf as
>
> Which stage3 tarball exactly?

Maybe that's part of my confusion -- I was following the x86 handbook, not amd64, because it's not amd. But if amd64 should be used for all 64 bit installs, that's probably my problem.

As for the exact stage3 tarball, the ftp choice was "gentoo/releases/x86/current-stage3". This was about Sep 10.

Old 09-15-2012, 12:26 AM
Kerin Millar

felix@crowfix.com wrote:

[...]

It will work if you chroot as described in my previous message. linux32
is a symlink to setarch so you can read the setarch manpage if you're
curious as to why it is necessary. Still, unless you have a particular
reason not to avoid using an amd64 stage tarball, I'd suggest starting
over with one.

--Kerin

Old 09-15-2012, 12:32 AM

On Sat, Sep 15, 2012 at 01:26:41AM +0100, Kerin Millar wrote:
> felix@crowfix.com wrote:

> >> Take note - it's a x86_64 host environment.

> >> Which stage3 tarball exactly?
> >
> > Maybe that's part of my confusion -- I was following the x86 handbook, not amd64, because it's not amd. But if amd64 should be used for all 64 bit installs, that's probably my problem.
> >
> > As for the exact stage3 tarball, the ftp choice was "gentoo/releases/x86/current-stage3". This was about Sep 10.
> >

> It will work if you chroot as described in my previous message. linux32
> is a symlink to setarch so you can read the setarch manpage if you're
> curious as to why it is necessary. Still, unless you have a particular
> reason not to avoid using an amd64 stage tarball, I'd suggest starting
> over with one.

Nope, just ignorance, thinking that amd64 shouldn't be used with an intel processor.

Old 09-15-2012, 02:42 AM
Dale

felix@crowfix.com wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 15, 2012 at 01:26:41AM +0100, Kerin Millar wrote:
>> felix@crowfix.com wrote:

>>> Maybe that's part of my confusion -- I was following the x86 handbook, not amd64, because it's not amd. But if amd64 should be used for all 64 bit installs, that's probably my problem.
>>>
>>> As for the exact stage3 tarball, the ftp choice was "gentoo/releases/x86/current-stage3". This was about Sep 10.
>>>
>> It will work if you chroot as described in my previous message. linux32
>> is a symlink to setarch so you can read the setarch manpage if you're
>> curious as to why it is necessary. Still, unless you have a particular
>> reason not to avoid using an amd64 stage tarball, I'd suggest starting
>> over with one.
> Nope, just ignorance, thinking that amd64 shouldn't be used with an intel processor.

From my understanding, someone correct me if I am off here, AMD sort of
beat Intel to the 64 bit thing. So, it sort of got named amd64 even tho
Intel came along later on and the name just stuck. That's a very short
version of the story and I think that is how it went but someone may
come along and correct something.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 09-15-2012, 03:21 AM

On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 09:42:42PM -0500, Dale wrote:

> From my understanding, someone correct me if I am off here, AMD sort of
> beat Intel to the 64 bit thing. So, it sort of got named amd64 even tho
> Intel came along later on and the name just stuck. That's a very short
> version of the story and I think that is how it went but someone may
> come along and correct something.

I sort of knew that, but I haven't kept up with all the processor
names, and linux the kernel merged x86 and amd64 in some fashion, or
was it x86 and x86_64? /usr/src/linux/arch/x86_64/boot/bzImage is a
symlink to the x86. It's all very confusing, and one of the gentoo
docs says iCore2 is Xeon, so what do I know about iCore7?

Kernel compile finished, 16 minutes (SSD sure speeds it up). I'll
finish the setup tomorrow. At some point I have to figure out where
Ubuntu hides the boot config so I can add an entry for the gentoo install.

Old 09-15-2012, 04:28 AM
Dale

felix@crowfix.com wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 09:42:42PM -0500, Dale wrote:
>
>> From my understanding, someone correct me if I am off here, AMD sort of
>> beat Intel to the 64 bit thing. So, it sort of got named amd64 even tho
>> Intel came along later on and the name just stuck. That's a very short
>> version of the story and I think that is how it went but someone may
>> come along and correct something.
> I sort of knew that, but I haven't kept up with all the processor
> names, and linux the kernel merged x86 and amd64 in some fashion, or
> was it x86 and x86_64? /usr/src/linux/arch/x86_64/boot/bzImage is a
> symlink to the x86. It's all very confusing, and one of the gentoo
> docs says iCore2 is Xeon, so what do I know about iCore7?
>
> Kernel compile finished, 16 minutes (SSD sure speeds it up). I'll
> finish the setup tomorrow. At some point I have to figure out where
> Ubuntu hides the boot config so I can add an entry for the gentoo install.

I didn't say it wasn't confusing. ;-) Heck, I think I asked questions
here when I built my new rig which is sort of the reason why I
remember. From some discussions I have seen, I think some CPUs need a
rocket scientist to figure out what to use. I'm sure there is a rule
book somewhere. lol

Put your kernel and such on /boot and run update-grub if I recall
correctly. I installed Kubuntu for my brother and it has grub2 which
has some magic sprinkled on it. I'm not sure how to tell it where to
point for the root partition tho. That may require a thread here if
google doesn't help. I might add, you may get better Ubuntu answers
here than from the Ubuntu folks. I'll forgive you if everyone else
will. ROFL

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 09-15-2012, 01:32 PM
Grant Edwards

On 2012-09-15, Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:

> From my understanding, someone correct me if I am off here, AMD sort of
> beat Intel to the 64 bit thing.

Not really. Intel came out with the IA64 architecture in 2001 in the
Itanium processor. The IA64 architecture was much more RISC-like than
the IA32 (x86) architecture. More importantly, it wasn't good at
running old IA32 software. It could emulate the IA32 instruction set,
but the emulation mode produced very slow performance. Because of
price and the poor backwards compatiblity it wasn't very popular on
the desktop (though it was used in some high-end servers and cluster
machines).

A couple of years later, AMD came out with the AMD64 (x86-64)
architecture in the Opteron processor. It _was_ backwards compatible
with the IA32 and was quite popular -- though initially it was mainly
used in IA32 mode (I still run all my AMD64 machines in IA32 mode
because I'm too lazy to change over when there's little benefit).

Once the Opteron family was widely adopted, and it became obvious that
the 64-bit mode of AMD64 processors was going to be vastly more
popular than the IA64 architecture, Intel jumped on board in 2004 with
the Xeon processor which implemented the AMD64 architecture.

After years and years of miserable sales, Intel finally gave up
flogging the Itanium pocessor family and abandoned the IA64
architecture in 2011.

--
Grant

Old 09-15-2012, 01:48 PM
Grant Edwards

On 2012-09-15, Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2012-09-15, Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> From my understanding, someone correct me if I am off here, AMD sort of
>> beat Intel to the 64 bit thing.

> After years and years of miserable sales, Intel finally gave up
> flogging the Itanium pocessor family and abandoned the IA64
> architecture in 2011.

Oops, after some research on Wikipedia, it looks like that last bit is
wrong. Intel still appears to be making Itanium parts (but nobody
but HP cares).

Itanium is no longer supported by Microsoft, RedHat, Oracle, SAP, and
various other SW vendors (including Intel).

Most of the old Itanium server vendors (e.g. IBM, SGI, Dell) have also
abandonded Itanium. It seems HP is still sticking with it and is, in
fact, has paid Intel over half a billion USD to keep it alive -- small
wonder HP is circling the drain.