Old 09-16-2012, 06:25 PM
Daniel Frey

Default Update to newer kernel completely hoses suspend

On 09/15/2012 03:29 PM, Dale wrote:
> Daniel Frey wrote:
>> Well, it turns out it was my PSU. The voltage drop on the 5V line was
>> 4.08, but it would slowly warm up to 4.95V, then the PC would behave
>> normally. I opened the PSU and there was a ruptured cap.
>>
>> I've replaced it and the problems are all gone.
>>
>> I guess it was not really a coincidence that the failure happened after
>> a major update. This isn't the first time an `emerge -pvuDN world`
>> killed my computer. :-)
>>
>> Dan
>>

> *cough cough* Maybe you need a better or more powerful power supply?
> If that cap went bad, you could have some others that are ready for the
> same problem. I'd at least be on the look out for a new P/S. The next
> one could go out and take a mobo or something with it. That would be
> bad for sure.
>
> Just a thought.
>
> Dale
>
> :-) :-)

After I changed the cap I decided to get a new PSU anyway. I went with
better (650 W Antec Platinum) rather than more powerful. The old one was
already 1010 W, by a manufacturer whom I don't trust any longer.

Dan

Old 09-16-2012, 08:28 PM
Dale

Daniel Frey wrote:
> On 09/15/2012 03:29 PM, Dale wrote:
>> Daniel Frey wrote:
>>> Well, it turns out it was my PSU. The voltage drop on the 5V line was
>>> 4.08, but it would slowly warm up to 4.95V, then the PC would behave
>>> normally. I opened the PSU and there was a ruptured cap.
>>>
>>> I've replaced it and the problems are all gone.
>>>
>>> I guess it was not really a coincidence that the failure happened after
>>> a major update. This isn't the first time an `emerge -pvuDN world`
>>> killed my computer. :-)
>>>
>>> Dan
>>>

>> *cough cough* Maybe you need a better or more powerful power supply?
>> If that cap went bad, you could have some others that are ready for the
>> same problem. I'd at least be on the look out for a new P/S. The next
>> one could go out and take a mobo or something with it. That would be
>> bad for sure.
>>
>> Just a thought.
>>
>> Dale
>>
>> :-) :-)
>>
> After I changed the cap I decided to get a new PSU anyway. I went with
> better (650 W Antec Platinum) rather than more powerful. The old one was
> already 1010 W, by a manufacturer whom I don't trust any longer.
>
> Dan

Sounds good. This is a site that I keep a eye on.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Review_Cat&recatnum= 13

They do power supply reviews and the good part, they take the power
supplies apart so you can see what is in them plus they point out
anything that may be cause for concern. They also tell what brand of
caps they have too.

This is a forum thread that also lists power supplies that have been
tested and it also lists some that should be avoided for some reason.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=589708

I don't build anything super fancy but I do try to get at least a good
one or avoid the ones on the bad list. lol

You may have already heard of those but thought I would post them just
in case it could help in the future. May even help someone else too.

Glad you got it fixed tho. ;-)

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 09-16-2012, 09:04 PM
Peter Humphrey

On Saturday 15 September 2012 17:28:26 Daniel Frey wrote:

> I guess it was not really a coincidence that the failure happened
> after a major update. This isn't the first time an `emerge -pvuDN
> world` killed my computer. :-)

A real-life example of software breaking hardware, which was drummed
into me as impossible some 40 years ago.

--
Rgds
Peter