Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Gentoo User (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/)
-   -   new machine : mouse trouble (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/702936-new-machine-mouse-trouble.html)

Paul Hartman 09-11-2012 08:31 PM

new machine : mouse trouble
 
On Tue, Sep 11, 2012 at 3:21 PM, Philip Webb <purslow@ca.inter.net> wrote:
> My new machine boots & has the basic software installed.
> Fluxbox starts & I can stop it via its menu & the keyboard.
>
> However, it doesn't recognise my Logitech optical mouse,
> which doesn't show up in the 'dmesg' list nor as /dev/input/mouse0 .
>
> It's not a hardware problem : rebooting into System Rescue
> without touching the connections results in a working mouse
> & it is listed correctly there by 'dmesg' & as /dev/input/mouse0 .
>
> I've checked the Kernel settings & they seem all to be where they sb,
> but the new machine is using 3.5.3 , whereas this one uses 3.4.0 .
> I used the older .config , went thro' 'make oldconfig'
> & then thro' 'make menuconfig', so the same mouse lines should remain.
> Has anything changed in Kernel 3.5 ?
>
> /etc/make.conf has the line INPUT_DEVICES="evdev" , like this machine.
> Udev doesn't seem to differ significantly.
>
> Google doesn't help, the Gentoo Wiki seems a bit out of date,
> the User's Guide doesn't add anything. Unfortunately,
> when I started using a USB mouse back in 2007 ,
> I didn't make a note of what I did to get it working, as I usually do.
>
> Can anyone suggest what I'm missing ?

I recently had mouse/keyboard fail to work in X, despite drivers being
rebuilt, and the solution for me was to put this in my Xorg.conf file:

Section "ServerFlags"
Option "AutoAddDevices" "true"
Option "AutoEnableDevices" "true"
EndSection

"Walter Dnes" 09-11-2012 10:25 PM

new machine : mouse trouble
 
On Tue, Sep 11, 2012 at 04:21:29PM -0400, Philip Webb wrote

> /etc/make.conf has the line INPUT_DEVICES="evdev" , like this machine.
> Udev doesn't seem to differ significantly.

I don't have evdev at all. My /etc/portage/make.conf has...

INPUT_DEVICES="keyboard mouse"

> I've checked the Kernel settings & they seem all to be where they sb,
> but the new machine is using 3.5.3 , whereas this one uses 3.4.0 .
> I used the older .config , went thro' 'make oldconfig' & then thro'
> 'make menuconfig', so the same mouse lines should remain. Has anything
> changed in Kernel 3.5 ?

Nothing recent. I have a Logitech ball-mouse. The most recent change
I remember is that you may need to set "HID" support. In my desktop's
.config, I have...

Device Drivers --->[*] HID Devices --->
-*- Generic HID support[*] /dev/hidraw raw HID device support
<*> USB Human Interface Device (full HID) support[*] PID device support[*] /dev/hiddev raw HID device support
Special HID drivers --->

And under "Special HID drivers --->" I have
-*- Logitech devices
<M> Logitech Unifying receivers full support[*] Logitech force feedback support[*] Logitech wheels configuration and force feedback support

The last 2 items with "force feedback" may be redundant, but I left
them in there since they don't seem to hurt.

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org>
I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications

Philip Webb 09-12-2012 11:21 AM

new machine : mouse trouble
 
120911 Walter Dnes wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 11, 2012 at 04:21:29PM -0400, Philip Webb wrote
>> /etc/make.conf has the line INPUT_DEVICES="evdev" , like this machine.
> I don't have evdev at all. My /etc/portage/make.conf has...
> INPUT_DEVICES="keyboard mouse"
>> I've checked the Kernel settings & they seem all to be where they sb,
>> but the new machine is using 3.5.3 , whereas this one uses 3.4.0 .
>> I used the older .config , went thro' 'make oldconfig' & then thro'
>> 'make menuconfig', so the same mouse lines should remain. Has anything
>> changed in Kernel 3.5 ?
> Nothing recent. I have a Logitech ball-mouse. The most recent change
> I remember is that you may need to set "HID" support.
> In my desktop's .config, I have
>
> Device Drivers --->
>[*] HID Devices --->
> -*- Generic HID support
>[*] /dev/hidraw raw HID device support
> <*> USB Human Interface Device (full HID) support
>[*] PID device support *** NO ***
>[*] /dev/hiddev raw HID device support *** NO ***
> Special HID drivers --->
>
> And under "Special HID drivers --->" I have
>
> -*- Logitech devices
> <M> Logitech Unifying receivers full support
>[*] Logitech force feedback support *** NO ***
>[*] Logitech wheels config & force feedback support *** NO ***
>
> The last 2 items with "force feedback" may be redundant,
> but I left them in there since they don't seem to hurt.

I don't have the 4 marked lines enabled; the rest is as yours.

I have checked in this machine: it shows /dev/input/mouse0 before 'startx'
& the mouse works in Twm as well as in Fluxbox;
it is not present at start-up before 'startx' in the new box.
That seems to show the problem in the new box isn't in X or in Fluxbox.

Thanks for both suggestions so far, I wb trying them out
+ various other tests which occurred to me while I was asleep (smile).

Any further advice is very welcome.

--
========================,,======================== ====================
SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Cities Centre, University of Toronto
TRANSIT `-O----------O---' purslowatchassdotutorontodotca


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:20 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.