-   -   Clarifying using the button to cause a shutdown (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/702814-clarifying-using-button-cause-shutdown.html)

Andrew Lowe 09-11-2012 03:22 PM

Clarifying using the button to cause a shutdown

Hi all,
I recently did a ground up rebuild of my little media computer. When it
was running I used to push the power button to initiate a shutdown. I
now can't remember what I had to fiddle to achieve this so that I can
replicate this on my rebuilt box. Is the accepted way to do this as per
the ACPI/Configuration page,

http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/ACPI/Configuration

in the wiki? I have seen some other stuff in portage concerning buttons
on laptops but I have hazy recollections of doing the above on the box
in question.

Thoughts greatly appreciated,

Andrew

Michael 09-12-2012 11:30 AM

Clarifying using the button to cause a shutdown

Hi,
you are right, this is handelt by ACPI

YouŽll first need to check your BIOS settings. Look for something like "Power
button" with 2 possible settings - instant power off and wait 4s.

If you set that option to wait, a short press on the power button triggers an
event and a default install of acpid (daemon has to be running, of course)
should shutdown your system.

I think this should be what you want. If it fails, check your Kernel apci
settings (like CONFIG_ACPI_BUTTON), you found already the right wiki page.

Michael