FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 09-11-2012, 07:53 AM
Neil Bothwick
 
Default emerge xfce-base/thunar: lobotomy needed

On Mon, 10 Sep 2012 22:00:46 -0500, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:

> One more thing; which profile (/etc/make.profile or
> /etc/portage/make.profile) do you have?

To make things easier, please post the output from emerge --info.

This shows all USE flags in use, not just those you have explicitly set,
along with profile and other information.


--
Neil Bothwick

And then Adam said, "What's a headache?
 
Old 09-11-2012, 08:24 AM
Chris Stankevitz
 
Default emerge xfce-base/thunar: lobotomy needed

On Tue, Sep 11, 2012 at 12:53 AM, Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk> wrote:
> To make things easier, please post the output from emerge --info.

Neil,

Great idea. Output attached.

PS:
emerge -pv thunar[udev] pulls in gnome-base/gfvs-1.12.3
emerge -pv gvfs pulls in gnome-base/gvfs-1.10.1

Thank you,

Chris
Portage 2.1.11.9 (default/linux/amd64/10.0, gcc-4.5.4, glibc-2.15-r2, 3.4.9-gentoo x86_64)
================================================== ===============
System uname: Linux-3.4.9-gentoo-x86_64-Intel-R-_Core-TM-_i7-3520M_CPU_@_2.90GHz-with-gentoo-2.1
Timestamp of tree: Tue, 11 Sep 2012 07:00:01 +0000
app-shells/bash: 4.2_p37
dev-lang/python: 2.7.3-r2, 3.2.3
dev-util/cmake: 2.8.8-r3
dev-util/pkgconfig: 0.27.1
sys-apps/baselayout: 2.1-r1
sys-apps/openrc: 0.9.8.4
sys-apps/sandbox: 2.5
sys-devel/autoconf: 2.68
sys-devel/automake: 1.9.6-r3, 1.11.6
sys-devel/binutils: 2.22-r1
sys-devel/gcc: 4.5.4
sys-devel/gcc-config: 1.7.3
sys-devel/libtool: 2.4-r1
sys-devel/make: 3.82-r3
sys-kernel/linux-headers: 3.4-r2 (virtual/os-headers)
sys-libs/glibc: 2.15-r2
Repositories: gentoo x-portage
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="amd64"
ACCEPT_LICENSE="* -@EULA"
CBUILD="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-march=native -O2 -pipe"
CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/ca-certificates.conf /etc/env.d /etc/fonts/fonts.conf /etc/gconf /etc/gentoo-release /etc/sandbox.d /etc/terminfo"
CXXFLAGS="-march=native -O2 -pipe"
DISTDIR="/usr/portage/distfiles"
FCFLAGS="-O2 -pipe"
FEATURES="assume-digests binpkg-logs config-protect-if-modified distlocks ebuild-locks fixlafiles news parallel-fetch parse-eapi-ebuild-head protect-owned sandbox sfperms strict unknown-features-warn unmerge-logs unmerge-orphans userfetch"
FFLAGS="-O2 -pipe"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="ftp://ftp.ucsb.edu/pub/mirrors/linux/gentoo"
LANG="en_US.UTF8"
LC_ALL="en_US.UTF8"
LDFLAGS="-Wl,-O1 -Wl,--as-needed"
MAKEOPTS="-j4"
PKGDIR="/usr/portage/packages"
PORTAGE_CONFIGROOT="/"
PORTAGE_RSYNC_OPTS="--recursive --links --safe-links --perms --times --compress --force --whole-file --delete --stats --human-readable --timeout=180 --exclude=/distfiles --exclude=/local --exclude=/packages"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"
PORTDIR="/usr/portage"
PORTDIR_OVERLAY="/usr/local/portage"
SYNC="rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
USE="X acl amd64 berkdb bzip2 cli cracklib crypt cups cxx dbus dri fortran gdbm gpm iconv ipv6 mmx modules mudflap multilib ncurses nls nptl openmp pam pcre pppd python readline session sse sse2 ssl tcpd unicode zlib" ALSA_CARDS="ali5451 als4000 atiixp atiixp-modem bt87x ca0106 cmipci emu10k1x ens1370 ens1371 es1938 es1968 fm801 hda-intel intel8x0 intel8x0m maestro3 trident usb-audio via82xx via82xx-modem ymfpci" ALSA_PCM_PLUGINS="adpcm alaw asym copy dmix dshare dsnoop empty extplug file hooks iec958 ioplug ladspa lfloat linear meter mmap_emul mulaw multi null plug rate route share shm softvol" APACHE2_MODULES="actions alias auth_basic authn_alias authn_anon authn_dbm authn_default authn_file authz_dbm authz_default authz_groupfile authz_host authz_owner authz_user autoindex cache cgi cgid dav dav_fs dav_lock deflate dir disk_cache env expires ext_filter file_cache filter headers include info log_config logio mem_cache mime mime_magic negotiation rewrite setenvif speling status unique_id userdir usertrack vhost_alias" CALLIGRA_FEATURES="kexi words flow plan sheets stage tables krita karbon braindump" CAMERAS="ptp2" COLLECTD_PLUGINS="df interface irq load memory rrdtool swap syslog" ELIBC="glibc" GPSD_PROTOCOLS="ashtech aivdm earthmate evermore fv18 garmin garmintxt gpsclock itrax mtk3301 nmea ntrip navcom oceanserver oldstyle oncore rtcm104v2 rtcm104v3 sirf superstar2 timing tsip tripmate tnt ubx" INPUT_DEVICES="evdev synaptics" KERNEL="linux" LCD_DEVICES="bayrad cfontz cfontz633 glk hd44780 lb216 lcdm001 mtxorb ncurses text" LIBREOFFICE_EXTENSIONS="presenter-console presenter-minimizer" PHP_TARGETS="php5-3" PYTHON_TARGETS="python3_2 python2_7" RUBY_TARGETS="ruby18 ruby19" USERLAND="GNU" VIDEO_CARDS="nvidia vesa fbdev" XTABLES_ADDONS="quota2 psd pknock lscan length2 ipv4options ipset ipp2p iface geoip fuzzy condition tee tarpit sysrq steal rawnat logmark ipmark dhcpmac delude chaos account"
Unset: CPPFLAGS, CTARGET, EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS, INSTALL_MASK, LINGUAS, PORTAGE_BUNZIP2_COMMAND, PORTAGE_COMPRESS, PORTAGE_COMPRESS_FLAGS, PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTS, USE_PYTHON
 
Old 09-11-2012, 08:47 AM
Philip Webb
 
Default emerge xfce-base/thunar: lobotomy needed

120910 Chris Stankevitz wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 6:08 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@gmail.com> wrote:
>> The problem seems to be the use of static libraries

The only place I use a static library/thing is Busybox.

> I temporarily worked around by adding "xfce-base/thunar -udev"
> to package.use. Somehow building thunar with udev introduced the mess.

From my home-made list of installed pkgs :

W 120506 xfce-base/thunar-1.4.0 [USE]
...
USE FLAGS required
...
xfce-base/thunar USE=-udev [avoids Gnome disk utils]

& from /etc/portage/package.use

# for thunar
xfce-base/thunar -udev

So why do you say "temporary" (smile) ?

Xfce is a good substitute for KDE/Gnome ;
its only weakness is sometimes following Gnome's irritating oddities.

--
========================,,======================== ====================
SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Cities Centre, University of Toronto
TRANSIT `-O----------O---' purslowatchassdotutorontodotca
 
Old 09-11-2012, 03:12 PM
Chris Stankevitz
 
Default emerge xfce-base/thunar: lobotomy needed

Thank you to all who are following this.

I used emerge -vptd to get some debugging info. This is the reason
emerge wants to bring in the ~amd64 to my stable system:

Parent: (xfce-base/thunar-1.4.0::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)
Depstring: || ( >=gnome-base/gvfs-1.10.1[udisks,udev]
>=gnome-base/gvfs-1.10.1[gdu,udev] )
Priority: runtime
installed: gnome-base/gvfs-1.10.1::gentoo
Candidates: ['>=gnome-base/gvfs-1.10.1[udisks,udev]']
ebuild: gnome-base/gvfs-1.12.3::gentoo

I do not know how to translate to english, but these questions arise:

1. What is this saying in english?
2. Should I have the udisks USE flag set?
3. Should I have the udev USE flag set?
4. Should I have the gdu USE flag set?
5. Will (3)-(5) change the way portage brings in the gvfs dependency?

Questions (3)-(5) are not educated questions. I really do not know
what any of that stuff does. I just see it listed in the output above
and naturally I wondered "should I set them?" The "Ubuntu forums"
approach would be for me to try all combinations of those three use
flags until it just works. In this case I would prefer to understand
what is going on

Thank you again,

Chris
 
Old 09-11-2012, 03:48 PM
Philip Webb
 
Default emerge xfce-base/thunar: lobotomy needed

120911 Chris Stankevitz wrote:
> I used emerge -vptd to get some debugging info. This is the reason
> emerge wants to bring in the ~amd64 to my stable system:
>
> Parent: (xfce-base/thunar-1.4.0::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)
> Depstring: || ( >=gnome-base/gvfs-1.10.1[udisks,udev]
> >=gnome-base/gvfs-1.10.1[gdu,udev] )
> Priority: runtime
> installed: gnome-base/gvfs-1.10.1::gentoo
> Candidates: ['>=gnome-base/gvfs-1.10.1[udisks,udev]']
> ebuild: gnome-base/gvfs-1.12.3::gentoo
>
> I really do not know what any of that stuff does.
> The "Ubuntu forums" approach would be for me to try all combinations
> until it just works. I would prefer to understand what is going on.

Sometimes the former is the best way to achieve the latter (smile).

I have Thunar installed with USE='-udev', but I also have Gvfs installed
& 'emerge -cpv gvfs' tells me it's needed for Thunar.
My conclusion is that this dependency is absolute
& that's confirmed by looking at the ebuild itself,
which says GVFS_DEPEND=">=gnome-base/gvfs-1.10.1" .

HTH a bit

--
========================,,======================== ====================
SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Cities Centre, University of Toronto
TRANSIT `-O----------O---' purslowatchassdotutorontodotca
 
Old 09-11-2012, 03:55 PM
Chris Stankevitz
 
Default emerge xfce-base/thunar: lobotomy needed

On Tue, Sep 11, 2012 at 8:12 AM, Chris Stankevitz
<chrisstankevitz@gmail.com> wrote:
> Questions (3)-(5)

This should have said (2)-(4).

===

The problem is "solved" in the Ubuntu sense. I suspect that I
encountered some kind of portage bug or oddity on the way.

I "solved" the problem by:
1. removed global USE flag -gnome
2. added global USE flag fuse
3. added global USE flag udisks
4. added global USE flag gdu
5. emerge -DNa world


Some/all of the above steps allowed me to successfully "emerge -vat
thunar-volman"

Now here is the weird part:

thunar-volman demands thunar with the udev USE flag. Before steps
(1)-(5) above, during install of thunar-volman portage would take it
upon itself to add the udev USE flag to thunar. And consequently pull
in an ~amd64 version of gvfs.

After steps (1)-(5) above, during install of thunar-volman, portage
would halt the process with the common complaint: "please add udev USE
flag to thunar". I added the USE flag and then portage happily
installed thunar-volman.

Weird!

===

I'm a little upset I solved this using the Ubuntu approach of "try a
bunch of random crap until it works" (in this case the random crap was
me turning on global USE flags without really knowing why). I guessed
to turn on those USE flags due to the output of "emerge -d" which I
posted earlier.

Thanks for your help everyone,

Chris
 
Old 09-11-2012, 05:08 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann
 
Default emerge xfce-base/thunar: lobotomy needed

Am Montag, 10. September 2012, 17:53:23 schrieb Chris Stankevitz:
> I installed xfce4-meta and was a little surprised to see it did not
> come with thunar. When I tried to install it, portage became upset.
>
> Question: is it normal that I would have to ~amd64 a bunch of packages
> and deal with slot conflicts and static-libs to install a file
> manager? FYI I am running a "stable" (non-~AMD64) system.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Chris
>
> ===
>
> # emerge -pv xfce-base/thunar
>
> These are the packages that would be merged, in order:
>
> Calculating dependencies... done!
>
> !!! Multiple package instances within a single package slot have been pulled
> !!! into the dependency graph, resulting in a slot conflict:
>
> dev-libs/libgcrypt:0
>
> (dev-libs/libgcrypt-1.5.0-r2::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) pulled
> in by dev-libs/libgcrypt[static-libs] required by
> (sys-fs/cryptsetup-1.4.1::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)
>
> (dev-libs/libgcrypt-1.5.0-r2::gentoo, installed) pulled in by
> (no parents that aren't satisfied by other packages in this slot)
>
> sys-libs/zlib:0
>
> (sys-libs/zlib-1.2.5.1-r2::gentoo, installed) pulled in by
> (no parents that aren't satisfied by other packages in this slot)
>
> (sys-libs/zlib-1.2.7::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) pulled in by
>
> >=sys-libs/zlib-1.2.6 required by (sys-apps/kmod-10::gentoo,
>
> ebuild scheduled for merge)
>
> dev-libs/popt:0
>
> (dev-libs/popt-1.16-r1::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) pulled in by
>
> >=dev-libs/popt-1.16-r1[static-libs] required by
>
> (sys-fs/cryptsetup-1.4.1::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)
>
> (dev-libs/popt-1.16-r1::gentoo, installed) pulled in by
> (no parents that aren't satisfied by other packages in this slot)
>
> dev-libs/glib:2
>
> (dev-libs/glib-2.32.4::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) pulled in by
>
> >=dev-libs/glib-2.32.4:2 required by
>
> (dev-util/gdbus-codegen-2.32.4::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)
> (and 3 more with the same problem)
>
> (dev-libs/glib-2.30.3::gentoo, installed) pulled in by
> (no parents that aren't satisfied by other packages in this slot)
>
>
> It may be possible to solve this problem by using package.mask to
> prevent one of those packages from being selected. However, it is also
> possible that conflicting dependencies exist such that they are
> impossible to satisfy simultaneously. If such a conflict exists in
> the dependencies of two different packages, then those packages can
> not be installed simultaneously. You may want to try a larger value of
> the --backtrack option, such as --backtrack=30, in order to see if
> that will solve this conflict automatically.
>
> For more information, see MASKED PACKAGES section in the emerge man
> page or refer to the Gentoo Handbook.
>
>
> The following keyword changes are necessary to proceed:
> #required by sys-fs/udisks-1.99.0-r1, required by
> gnome-base/gvfs-1.12.3[udisks], required by
> xfce-base/thunar-1.4.0[dbus,xfce_plugins_trash], required by
> xfce-base/thunar (argument)
> =sys-auth/polkit-0.107 ~amd64
> #required by dev-util/gdbus-codegen-2.32.4, required by
> sys-fs/udisks-1.99.0-r1, required by gnome-base/gvfs-1.12.3[udisks],
> required by xfce-base/thunar-1.4.0[dbus,xfce_plugins_trash], required
> by xfce-base/thunar (argument)
> =dev-libs/glib-2.32.4 ~amd64
> #required by sys-fs/udev-init-scripts-16
> =sys-fs/udev-189 ~amd64
> #required by sys-fs/udev-189[openrc], required by
> dev-libs/libatasmart-0.19, required by sys-fs/udisks-1.99.0-r1,
> required by gnome-base/gvfs-1.12.3[udisks], required by
> xfce-base/thunar-1.4.0[dbus,xfce_plugins_trash], required by
> xfce-base/thunar (argument)
> =sys-fs/udev-init-scripts-16 ~amd64
> #required by sys-fs/udev-189, required by sys-fs/udev-init-scripts-16
> =sys-apps/kmod-10 ~amd64
> #required by sys-apps/kmod-10[zlib], required by sys-fs/udev-189,
> required by sys-fs/udev-init-scripts-16
> =sys-libs/zlib-1.2.7 ~amd64
> #required by xfce-base/thunar-1.4.0[dbus,xfce_plugins_trash], required
> by xfce-base/thunar (argument)
> =gnome-base/gvfs-1.12.3 ~amd64
> #required by gnome-base/gvfs-1.12.3[udisks], required by
> xfce-base/thunar-1.4.0[dbus,xfce_plugins_trash], required by
> xfce-base/thunar (argument)
> =sys-fs/udisks-1.99.0-r1 ~amd64
> #required by sys-fs/udisks-1.99.0-r1, required by
> gnome-base/gvfs-1.12.3[udisks], required by
> xfce-base/thunar-1.4.0[dbus,xfce_plugins_trash], required by
> xfce-base/thunar (argument)
> =dev-util/gdbus-codegen-2.32.4 ~amd64
> #required by sys-fs/udev-189[hwdb], required by sys-fs/udev-init-scripts-16
> =sys-apps/hwids-20120831 ~amd64
> #required by sys-auth/polkit-0.107, required by
> sys-fs/udisks-1.99.0-r1, required by gnome-base/gvfs-1.12.3[udisks],
> required by xfce-base/thunar-1.4.0[dbus,xfce_plugins_trash], required
> by xfce-base/thunar (argument)
> =dev-lang/spidermonkey-1.8.5-r1 ~amd64
>
> The following USE changes are necessary to proceed:
> #required by xfce-base/thunar-1.4.0[dbus,xfce_plugins_trash], required
> by xfce-base/thunar (argument)
>
> >=gnome-base/gvfs-1.12.3 udisks
>
> #required by sys-fs/cryptsetup-1.4.1[static], required by
> sys-fs/udisks-1.99.0-r1[crypt], required by
> gnome-base/gvfs-1.12.3[udisks], required by
> xfce-base/thunar-1.4.0[dbus,xfce_plugins_trash], required by
> xfce-base/thunar (argument)
>
> >=dev-libs/libgcrypt-1.5.0-r2 static-libs
>
> #required by sys-fs/cryptsetup-1.4.1[static], required by
> sys-fs/udisks-1.99.0-r1[crypt], required by
> gnome-base/gvfs-1.12.3[udisks], required by
> xfce-base/thunar-1.4.0[dbus,xfce_plugins_trash], required by
> xfce-base/thunar (argument)
>
> >=dev-libs/popt-1.16-r1 static-libs
>
> #required by sys-fs/udisks-1.99.0-r1, required by
> gnome-base/gvfs-1.12.3[udisks], required by
> xfce-base/thunar-1.4.0[dbus,xfce_plugins_trash], required by
> xfce-base/thunar (argument)
> =sys-fs/udev-189 static-libs hwdb
> #required by sys-fs/cryptsetup-1.4.1[static], required by
> sys-fs/udisks-1.99.0-r1[crypt], required by
> gnome-base/gvfs-1.12.3[udisks], required by
> xfce-base/thunar-1.4.0[dbus,xfce_plugins_trash], required by
> xfce-base/thunar (argument)
> =dev-libs/libgpg-error-1.10 static-libs
>
> !!! All ebuilds that could satisfy ">=sys-fs/udev-182[static-libs]"
> have been masked.
> !!! One of the following masked packages is required to complete your
> request: - sys-fs/udev-9999::gentoo (masked by: missing keyword)
> - sys-fs/udev-189::gentoo (masked by: ~amd64 keyword)
> - sys-fs/udev-188::gentoo (masked by: ~amd64 keyword)
>
> (dependency required by "sys-fs/cryptsetup-1.4.1[static]" [ebuild])
> (dependency required by "sys-fs/udisks-1.99.0-r1[crypt]" [ebuild])
> (dependency required by "gnome-base/gvfs-1.12.3[udisks]" [ebuild])
> (dependency required by
> "xfce-base/thunar-1.4.0[dbus,xfce_plugins_trash]" [ebuild])
> (dependency required by "xfce-base/thunar" [argument])
> For more information, see the MASKED PACKAGES section in the emerge
> man page or refer to the Gentoo Handbook.
>
> drg ~ #


use --tree option to see who is really pulling all the crap in.
--
#163933
 
Old 09-11-2012, 08:06 PM
Mark Knecht
 
Default emerge xfce-base/thunar: lobotomy needed

On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 5:53 PM, Chris Stankevitz
<chrisstankevitz@gmail.com> wrote:
> I installed xfce4-meta and was a little surprised to see it did not
> come with thunar. When I tried to install it, portage became upset.
>
> Question: is it normal that I would have to ~amd64 a bunch of packages
> and deal with slot conflicts and static-libs to install a file
> manager? FYI I am running a "stable" (non-~AMD64) system.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Chris
>
<SNIP>

Hi Chris,
I think you got your problem solved if my quick scan of this thread
is correct. However one comment I didn't see come up was to point out
that it can make a huge difference in terms of use flag choices
depending on which system profile you choose to orient your system
around. In the case of my wife's XFCE machine I found that using the
plain profile worked pretty well, but when I added KDE to it (I use
KDE when sitting on that machine) I needed to add a lot of use flags
and keyword a number of files. In the case of my own systems I choose
the KDE profile which ends up with most everything use flag oriented
pretty optimized for KDE. (No surprise.)

Anyway, as you're new to Gentoo and looking for more in-depth
answers, I wanted to just make sure you at least considered the system
profile chosen and it's effect on what you have to do to emerge
packages.

Cheers,
Mark

k2 ~ # eselect profile list
Available profile symlink targets:
[1] default/linux/amd64/10.0 *
[2] default/linux/amd64/10.0/selinux
[3] default/linux/amd64/10.0/desktop
[4] default/linux/amd64/10.0/desktop/gnome
[5] default/linux/amd64/10.0/desktop/kde
[6] default/linux/amd64/10.0/developer
[7] default/linux/amd64/10.0/no-multilib
[8] default/linux/amd64/10.0/server
[9] hardened/linux/amd64
[10] hardened/linux/amd64/selinux
[11] hardened/linux/amd64/no-multilib
[12] hardened/linux/amd64/no-multilib/selinux
k2 ~ #
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 10:09 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org