FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 09-16-2012, 06:45 PM
Canek Peláez Valdés
 
Default USB automount

On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 12:42 AM, Stefan G. Weichinger <lists@xunil.at> wrote:
[snip]
> Great to hear, thanks so far.
> Looking forward to his reply ....

Stefan, do you use systemd? David told me that he could only check the
bug on monday, so I did a little research on the weekend. I installed
Gentoo in a QEMU VM (using gnome-boxes), to see if I could reproduce
the bug in a unmodified Gentoo installation (I use my systemd-only
overlay). I could reproduce the bug, but I found a reasonable
workaround:

cat /etc/portage/package.use/no-systemd
gnome-base/gdm -systemd
gnome-base/gnome-session -systemd
gnome-base/gnome-shell -systemd
sys-auth/polkit -systemd

If those four packages have systemd support disabled, then everything
works as expected (the suspend/hibernate options returns, I can
mount/umount USB sticks, etc.) If at least one of those packages have
the systemd USE flag, then the bug appears. I updated the bug report
(and I'm not really sure the bug is in polkit or gnome-shell):

https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=53905

This workaround also works in my systemd-only overlay. So, if you have
the systemd flag in any of those four packages, disable it and
everything should work. Just to be explicit, the versions are:

gnome-base/gdm-3.4.1-r1
gnome-base/gnome-session-3.4.2.1
gnome-base/gnome-shell-3.4.2
sys-auth/polkit-0.107:0

I was really looking forward to use the integration of systemd into
GNOME, but I suppose it's still a little green. Hopefully we will find
and fix the exact bug soon; meanwhile, this workaround is much more
usable than using pmount, pm-suspend, etc.

Regards.
--
Canek Peláez Valdés
Posgrado en Ciencia e Ingeniería de la Computación
Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México
 
Old 09-17-2012, 02:23 PM
"Stefan G. Weichinger"
 
Default USB automount

Am 16.09.2012 20:45, schrieb Canek Peláez Valdés:
> On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 12:42 AM, Stefan G. Weichinger <lists@xunil.at> wrote:
> [snip]
>> Great to hear, thanks so far.
>> Looking forward to his reply ....
>
> Stefan, do you use systemd?

I don't boot with systemd now (yes, kinda green) ... but have the
USE-flags set.

I will re-compile the mentioned packages without that flag now, to test.
Right now I have some weird issue with an erratic mouse, maybe this gets
fixed with today's updates as well (just returned to my office now ...)

Reports soon, thanks!
 
Old 09-17-2012, 03:45 PM
"Stefan G. Weichinger"
 
Default USB automount

Am 16.09.2012 20:45, schrieb Canek Peláez Valdés:

> This workaround also works in my systemd-only overlay. So, if you have
> the systemd flag in any of those four packages, disable it and
> everything should work. Just to be explicit, the versions are:
>
> gnome-base/gdm-3.4.1-r1
> gnome-base/gnome-session-3.4.2.1
> gnome-base/gnome-shell-3.4.2
> sys-auth/polkit-0.107:0

confirming this. I have exactly your mentioned versions with
USE="-systemd" and suspend/hibernate option returns, I could mount/use a
DVD right now ... yes!

thanks, Stefan
 
Old 09-25-2012, 06:33 AM
Canek Peláez Valdés
 
Default USB automount

On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 10:45 AM, Stefan G. Weichinger <lists@xunil.at> wrote:
> Am 16.09.2012 20:45, schrieb Canek Peláez Valdés:
>
>> This workaround also works in my systemd-only overlay. So, if you have
>> the systemd flag in any of those four packages, disable it and
>> everything should work. Just to be explicit, the versions are:
>>
>> gnome-base/gdm-3.4.1-r1
>> gnome-base/gnome-session-3.4.2.1
>> gnome-base/gnome-shell-3.4.2
>> sys-auth/polkit-0.107:0
>
> confirming this. I have exactly your mentioned versions with
> USE="-systemd" and suspend/hibernate option returns, I could mount/use a
> DVD right now ... yes!

OK; now I can put this whole thing behind me. You can read the bug again:

https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=53905

but the short answer is that you cannot let both systemd and
consolekit to manage sessions. The problem (in my case) was that I was
using accountsservice 0.6.22, which depends on consolekit. I upgraded
to accountsservice 0.6.24 (which can depend on systemd), I removed all
consolekit USE-flags (except for bluez: bluez uses consolekit to pull
either consolekit or systemd; I reported a bug[1]), and after an
emerge -uDNv world, I removed consolekit (I didn't had any other
package depending on it).

Now everything works as it should, in both my overlay and in the
vanilla Gentoo tree. Be aware: it works *with systemd*; maybe it works
without it, but I don't know (nor care). All the GNOME session
management is moving to systemd, and I think it's a great idea.
Support for consolekit (which is no longer maintained) is still there,
but I don't know for how long.

If you want to keep using (the unmaintained) consolekit, be sure to
set "-systemd" in your USE flags. Do not mix systemd and consolekit,
or this bug will hit you.

Regards.

[1] https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=436180
--
Canek Peláez Valdés
Posgrado en Ciencia e Ingeniería de la Computación
Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México
 
Old 09-25-2012, 08:09 AM
"Stefan G. Weichinger"
 
Default USB automount

Am 25.09.2012 08:33, schrieb Canek Peláez Valdés:
> On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 10:45 AM, Stefan G. Weichinger <lists@xunil.at> wrote:
>> Am 16.09.2012 20:45, schrieb Canek Peláez Valdés:
>>
>>> This workaround also works in my systemd-only overlay. So, if you have
>>> the systemd flag in any of those four packages, disable it and
>>> everything should work. Just to be explicit, the versions are:
>>>
>>> gnome-base/gdm-3.4.1-r1
>>> gnome-base/gnome-session-3.4.2.1
>>> gnome-base/gnome-shell-3.4.2
>>> sys-auth/polkit-0.107:0
>>
>> confirming this. I have exactly your mentioned versions with
>> USE="-systemd" and suspend/hibernate option returns, I could mount/use a
>> DVD right now ... yes!
>
> OK; now I can put this whole thing behind me. You can read the bug again:
>
> https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=53905
>
> but the short answer is that you cannot let both systemd and
> consolekit to manage sessions. The problem (in my case) was that I was
> using accountsservice 0.6.22, which depends on consolekit. I upgraded
> to accountsservice 0.6.24 (which can depend on systemd), I removed all
> consolekit USE-flags (except for bluez: bluez uses consolekit to pull
> either consolekit or systemd; I reported a bug[1]), and after an
> emerge -uDNv world, I removed consolekit (I didn't had any other
> package depending on it).
>
> Now everything works as it should, in both my overlay and in the
> vanilla Gentoo tree. Be aware: it works *with systemd*; maybe it works
> without it, but I don't know (nor care). All the GNOME session
> management is moving to systemd, and I think it's a great idea.
> Support for consolekit (which is no longer maintained) is still there,
> but I don't know for how long.
>
> If you want to keep using (the unmaintained) consolekit, be sure to
> set "-systemd" in your USE flags. Do not mix systemd and consolekit,
> or this bug will hit you.
>
> Regards.
>
> [1] https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=436180

Thanks a lot for the feedback.

So if I don't use systemd right now, it would be better to keep
consolekit? I give it a try now ... compiling stuff without that flag
for a test.

Stefan
 
Old 09-25-2012, 08:32 AM
"Stefan G. Weichinger"
 
Default USB automount

Am 25.09.2012 10:09, schrieb Stefan G. Weichinger:

> So if I don't use systemd right now, it would be better to keep
> consolekit? I give it a try now ... compiling stuff without that flag
> for a test.

Did not work. Rather easy to understand, if neither systemd or
consolekit is there, how should things work ...

Re-enabled USE-flag "consolekit" for now, re-emerged 4 pkgs, ok now.

Maybe I will try systemd again soon ...

Thanks, Stefan
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 10:18 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org