Old 09-20-2012, 04:19 PM
Dale

Default Gentoo is the best linux distro

Daniel Wagener wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Sep 2012 16:55:37 +0200
> Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> lafilefixer --justfixit".
>> The last one, "lafilefixer --justfixit" is especially valuable as it
>> gets right of a huge gigantic steaming pile of crap that a) should
>> never have been there at all in the first place and b) if it's causing
>> the problem is almost impossible to pin down without lots of work. So
>> even if b) is not true, you still get the huge benefit of a)
> while we are at it…
> does it still make sense to run it on a regular basis or can I purge it from my maintenace script?e

I think it depends on your version of portage. Older portage versions
needs you to run it and newer versions I think have it built into
portage or another way to fix this. You may want to post what version
of portage you are using to get a more accurate answer.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 09-20-2012, 06:39 PM
Paul Hartman

On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 10:14 AM, Daniel Wagener <stelf@gmx.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Sep 2012 16:55:37 +0200
> Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> > lafilefixer --justfixit".
>
>> The last one, "lafilefixer --justfixit" is especially valuable as it
>> gets right of a huge gigantic steaming pile of crap that a) should
>> never have been there at all in the first place and b) if it's causing
>> the problem is almost impossible to pin down without lots of work. So
>> even if b) is not true, you still get the huge benefit of a)
>
> while we are at it…
> does it still make sense to run it on a regular basis or can I purge it from my maintenace script?e

In newer version of portage you can add "fixlafiles" to FEATURES and
there is no need to manually run the lxfilefixer program.

Old 09-22-2012, 03:04 AM
Allan Gottlieb

On Thu, Sep 20 2012, Paul Hartman wrote:

> In newer version of portage you can add "fixlafiles" to FEATURES and
> there is no need to manually run the lxfilefixer program.

Thanks. I hadn't seen this before. It is in the make.conf man page for
my system which is ~amd64. So I assume "newer versions of portage" does
not require the 2.2 (masked, but used by some on this list).

Thanks again,
allan