Old 09-10-2012, 09:31 PM
Canek Peláez Valdés

Default WM that does not require policykit, consolekit, and gudev

On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 4:19 PM, Chris Stankevitz
<chrisstankevitz@gmail.com> wrote:
[snip]
> 1. Understand gudev, policykit, and consolekit and not be frightened
> of them (a tall order given the google results I am getting). Then
> enable the USE flags and install xfce4-meta

FWIW, the idea behind gudev, polkit and (soon to be deprecated)
consolekit, is that you don't need to "understand" them; they should
"just work". In my experience, that is the case.

Regards.
--
Canek Peláez Valdés
Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México

Old 09-10-2012, 09:51 PM
"G.Wolfe Woodbury"

On 09/10/2012 05:19 PM, Chris Stankevitz wrote:
> 3. Select another WM that is more "lightweight" and doesn't require
> these USE flags.
>
> I'm leaning towards (3).
>
> Can you recommend a WM that will not require me to enable gudev,
> policykit, and consolekit?

When I want a real barebones desktop (say for a VM test) without all the
cruft of
GNOMNE or KDE, I generally use LXDE

emerge ldxe-meta lxdm
(two packages, the meta package does not include the desktop manager)

then config /etc/conf.d/xdm to start "lxdm"

Gets most of the useful stuff without committing to all of GNOME or KDE
LXDE will run most of the "gtk" based tools found in the app and x11-*
categories

Happy installing!

--
G.Wolfe Woodbury

Old 09-10-2012, 10:18 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Mon, 10 Sep 2012 16:31:28 -0500
Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 4:19 PM, Chris Stankevitz
> <chrisstankevitz@gmail.com> wrote:
> [snip]
> > 1. Understand gudev, policykit, and consolekit and not be frightened
> > of them (a tall order given the google results I am getting). Then
> > enable the USE flags and install xfce4-meta
>
> FWIW, the idea behind gudev, polkit and (soon to be deprecated)
> consolekit, is that you don't need to "understand" them; they should
> "just work". In my experience, that is the case.

It's my experience that most of the features (or something
equivalent) offered by gudev, policykit and consolekit have to be
present anyway for things to work at all. Where are these features?
They are implemented in many various packages in many different ways
(often poorly).

It's a good idea to rip all of that out of the many places it's hiding
and put one implementation in one place where it can be understood.
Yes, these packages can be chatty. the lack of chattyness in other
packages doesn't mean they don't attempt the same function, it just
means they don't announce they do.

dbus is similar. Whichever way code is written, some kind of IPC is
going to be needed. It might as well be on a bus and it might as well be
dbus.

Now, if only way can get around to doing the same for regular
expressions. last time I looked I had at least 5 implementations of
regex, all different...

--
Alan McKinnon
alan.mckinnon@gmail.com

Old 09-10-2012, 11:20 PM
Jorge Almeida

On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 10:19 PM, Chris Stankevitz
<chrisstankevitz@gmail.com> wrote:

> 3. Select another WM that is more "lightweight" and doesn't require
> these USE flags.
>
> I'm leaning towards (3).
>
> Can you recommend a WM that will not require me to enable gudev,
> policykit, and consolekit?

I think openbox doesn't require any of that crap. I'm sure openbox is an
excellent WM. If you're a keyboard person, it's easily customizable.

Jorge Almeida

Old 09-10-2012, 11:21 PM
Michael Mol

On Sep 10, 2012 7:14 PM, "Chris Stankevitz" <chrisstankevitz@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,

> I installed twm to test my xorg as per the gentoo install docs. *Works great!

> Then I decided to install what I thought would be a lightweight WM:

> xfce4 with "emerge -vat xfce4-meta". *Unfortunately emerge didn't want

> to continue without some changes from me involving USE flags gudev,

> policykit, and consolekit.

> At this point I see three options:

> 1. Understand gudev, policykit, and consolekit and not be frightened

> of them (a tall order given the google results I am getting). *Then

> enable the USE flags and install xfce4-meta

> 2. Do not attempt to understand the USE flags and enable them anyway

> (frightening given all the polictykit and consolekit chatter I see on

> google)

> 3. Select another WM that is more "lightweight" and doesn't require

> these USE flags.

> I'm leaning towards (3).

> Can you recommend a WM that will not require me to enable gudev,

> policykit, and consolekit?

> Thank you,

> Chris

I'm very fond of 'awesome'. It has a steep learning curve, but, once climbed, it lives up to its name.

Old 09-11-2012, 04:29 AM
"Walter Dnes"

On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 02:19:51PM -0700, Chris Stankevitz wrote

> 3. Select another WM that is more "lightweight" and doesn't require
> these USE flags.
>
> I'm leaning towards (3).
>
> Can you recommend a WM that will not require me to enable gudev,
> policykit, and consolekit?

See my sig. I use ICEWM. Runs fine without the above flags. Not
only does it not require gudev, it works fine without udev (I use mdev).
The only extra item I added was to build it with "imlib" USE flag.
Without imlib, it only supports .xpm icons (e.g. on the launchbar).
imlib adds support for png/gif/etc.

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org>

Old 09-11-2012, 05:23 AM
Bill Kenworthy

On Tue, 2012-09-11 at 00:20 +0100, Jorge Almeida wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 10:19 PM, Chris Stankevitz
> <chrisstankevitz@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > 3. Select another WM that is more "lightweight" and doesn't require
> > these USE flags.
> >
> > I'm leaning towards (3).
> >
> > Can you recommend a WM that will not require me to enable gudev,
> > policykit, and consolekit?
> >
> I think openbox doesn't require any of that crap. I'm sure openbox is an
> excellent WM. If you're a keyboard person, it's easily customizable.
>
> Jorge Almeida

LXDE is based on openbox.

I am using LXDE on a new install - excellent. I have also converted
three other systems from gnome. Vastly increased productivity, no more
crashes, much faster (esp on older hardware), and just plain nicer to
use.

When I get time I'll have to look into removing as much of gnome as
possible ... are there any guides on how to do this?

BillK

Old 09-11-2012, 08:36 AM
Philip Webb

120910 Chris Stankevitz wrote:
> Can you recommend a WM that will not require me
> to enable gudev, policykit, and consolekit?

I've been using Fluxbox very happily for c 5 years .
It's quite powerful & is very easy to configure via text files.
I have a lot of KDE + parts of Xfce installed for their apps :
from Xfce I use Terminal & occasionally Thunar.

SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb