Old 09-10-2012, 09:19 PM
Chris Stankevitz

Default WM that does not require policykit, consolekit, and gudev

Hello,

I installed twm to test my xorg as per the gentoo install docs. Works great!

Then I decided to install what I thought would be a lightweight WM:
xfce4 with "emerge -vat xfce4-meta". Unfortunately emerge didn't want
to continue without some changes from me involving USE flags gudev,
policykit, and consolekit.

At this point I see three options:

1. Understand gudev, policykit, and consolekit and not be frightened
of them (a tall order given the google results I am getting). Then
enable the USE flags and install xfce4-meta

2. Do not attempt to understand the USE flags and enable them anyway
(frightening given all the polictykit and consolekit chatter I see on
google)

3. Select another WM that is more "lightweight" and doesn't require
these USE flags.

I'm leaning towards (3).

Can you recommend a WM that will not require me to enable gudev,
policykit, and consolekit?

Thank you,

Chris