Old 09-20-2012, 05:44 AM
Daniel Wagener

Default Reinstall + switch to KDE

On Mon, 10 Sep 2012 14:44:33 -0500
Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 2:36 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, 10 Sep 2012 12:53:41 -0400
> > Andrey Moshbear <andrey.vul@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> He borked his /usr/include due to an improperly-written uninstall rule
> >> in a Makefile.
> >>

> > if "emerge -e world" runs, it will fix that little oopsie
>
> No, it won't; if enough files from /usr/include are gone/borked, most
> packages will fail compilation. glibc alone has ~450 files under
> /usr/include; and basically everything depends on glibc.

hmm, my approach in that case would be to get /usr from a recent stage3 tarball and then running emerge -e world

but maybe there is a reason why nobody came up with that already :-/

Old 09-20-2012, 04:20 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Thu, 20 Sep 2012 07:44:13 +0200
Daniel Wagener <stelf@gmx.net> wrote:

> On Mon, 10 Sep 2012 14:44:33 -0500
> Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 2:36 PM, Alan McKinnon
> > <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > if "emerge -e world" runs, it will fix that little oopsie
> >
> > No, it won't; if enough files from /usr/include are gone/borked,
> > most packages will fail compilation. glibc alone has ~450 files
> > under /usr/include; and basically everything depends on glibc.
>
> hmm, my approach in that case would be to get /usr from a recent
> stage3 tarball and then running emerge -e world
>
> but maybe there is a reason why nobody came up with that already :-/

But that would be too easy, no wonder no-one mentioned it :-)

It probably is the right thing to do though. You don;t actually know
every package that's affected, and no easy way to find out and no way
to find false negatives.

So the correct approach is to realize that a complete rebuild finishes
in a reasonable time, and then do it.

--
Alan McKinnon
alan.mckinnon@gmail.com

Old 09-20-2012, 11:22 PM
William Kenworthy

On Thu, 2012-09-20 at 18:20 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Sep 2012 07:44:13 +0200
> Daniel Wagener <stelf@gmx.net> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 10 Sep 2012 14:44:33 -0500
> > Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > No, it won't; if enough files from /usr/include are gone/borked,
> > > most packages will fail compilation. glibc alone has ~450 files
> > > under /usr/include; and basically everything depends on glibc.
> >
> > hmm, my approach in that case would be to get /usr from a recent
> > stage3 tarball and then running emerge -e world
> >
> > but maybe there is a reason why nobody came up with that already :-/
> >

> But that would be too easy, no wonder no-one mentioned it :-)
>
> It probably is the right thing to do though. You don;t actually know
> every package that's affected, and no easy way to find out and no way
> to find false negatives.

"equery check <pkgname>"

BillK