-   -   Pacific vs Pacific-New (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/702117-pacific-vs-pacific-new.html)

Chris Stankevitz 09-10-2012 01:19 AM

Pacific vs Pacific-New

Hello,

Following the handbook, I am now setting my timezone. I am in Los Angeles.

Should I select:
a) /usr/share/zoneinfo/US/Pacific
b) /usr/share/zoneinfo/US/Pacific-New
c) [your answer here]

"man Pacific" didn't help.

Thank you,

Chris

Mark Knecht 09-10-2012 01:42 AM

Pacific vs Pacific-New

From kindle. I use America/Los-Angeles myself.

Paul Hartman 09-10-2012 02:59 PM

Pacific vs Pacific-New

On Sun, Sep 9, 2012 at 8:19 PM, Chris Stankevitz
<chrisstankevitz@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Following the handbook, I am now setting my timezone. I am in Los Angeles.
>
> Should I select:
> a) /usr/share/zoneinfo/US/Pacific
> b) /usr/share/zoneinfo/US/Pacific-New
> c) [your answer here]
>
> "man Pacific" didn't help.

This report from 1992 tells the story of pacific-new:
http://catless.ncl.ac.uk/Risks/13.87.html#subj1

"US/Pacific-New' stands for 'Pacific Presidential Election Time',
which was passed by the House in April 1989 but never signed into law.
In presidential election years, this rule would have delayed the
PDT-to-PST switchover until after the election, to lessen the effect
of broadcast news election projections on last-minute west-coast
voters. "

So it seems you would use Pacific instead of Pacific-new, however I
believe both of those are deprecated and it is preferred to use
America/Los Angeles instead.

Chris Stankevitz 09-10-2012 06:12 PM

Pacific vs Pacific-New

On Sun, Sep 9, 2012 at 6:42 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:
> I use America/Los-Angeles myself.

Mark, Paul:

Thank you, I went with America/Los_Angeles

Chris