-   -   stage3/handbook mismatch (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/702113-stage3-handbook-mismatch.html)

Chris Stankevitz 09-10-2012 01:05 AM

stage3/handbook mismatch

FYI,

stage3-amd64-20120621.tar.bz2 creates a file /etc/make.conf

handbook says to edit to /etc/portage/make.conf

Chris

Mark Knecht 09-10-2012 01:41 AM

stage3/handbook mismatch

That's a very new change just announced globally today and only for
new installs. Take a look at eselect news for more info.

HTH,
Mark

Alan McKinnon 09-10-2012 08:27 AM

stage3/handbook mismatch

On Sun, 9 Sep 2012 18:05:03 -0700
Chris Stankevitz <chrisstankevitz@gmail.com> wrote:

> FYI,
>
> stage3-amd64-20120621.tar.bz2 creates a file /etc/make.conf
>
> handbook says to edit to /etc/portage/make.conf
>
> Chris

Either one will work. The software looks in both locations. You will
not notice a difference.

--
Alan McKinnon
alan.mckinnon@gmail.com

Chris Stankevitz 09-10-2012 06:13 PM

stage3/handbook mismatch

On Sun, Sep 9, 2012 at 6:41 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:
> That's a very new change just announced globally today and only for
> new installs. Take a look at eselect news for more info.

What a coincidence! I went with the older stage3 approach.

Thank you,

Chris

Mark Knecht 09-10-2012 10:10 PM

stage3/handbook mismatch

On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 11:13 AM, Chris Stankevitz
<chrisstankevitz@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 9, 2012 at 6:41 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:
>> That's a very new change just announced globally today and only for
>> new installs. Take a look at eselect news for more info.
>
> What a coincidence! I went with the older stage3 approach.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Chris

I just switched 3 machines over to the new way. It works fine. eselect
profile set will create the new link in /etc/portage. I figure the
biggest issue for me is that I won't be able to mindlessly type vi
/etc/make.conf anymore. ;-)

Cheers,
Mark

Pandu Poluan 09-11-2012 01:49 AM

stage3/handbook mismatch

On Sep 11, 2012 5:19 AM, "Mark Knecht" <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 11:13 AM, Chris Stankevitz

> <chrisstankevitz@gmail.com> wrote:

> > On Sun, Sep 9, 2012 at 6:41 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> That's a very new change just announced globally today and only for

> >> new installs. Take a look at eselect news for more info.

> > What a coincidence! *I went with the older stage3 approach.

> > Thank you,

> > Chris

> I just switched 3 machines over to the new way. It works fine. eselect

> profile set will create the new link in /etc/portage. I figure the

> biggest issue for me is that I won't be able to mindlessly type vi

> /etc/make.conf anymore. ;-)

Ahh... the curse of muscle memory... I bet I'll experience some dumbfounded moments for at least one week, staring at an empty vi screen due to muscle memory typing /etc/make.conf instead of /etc/portage/make.conf ... :-P

Rgds,

Mark Knecht 09-11-2012 02:26 AM

stage3/handbook mismatch

On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 6:49 PM, Pandu Poluan <pandu@poluan.info> wrote:

> On Sep 11, 2012 5:19 AM, "Mark Knecht" <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 11:13 AM, Chris Stankevitz
>> <chrisstankevitz@gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > What a coincidence! I went with the older stage3 approach.
>> >
>> > Thank you,
>> >
>> > Chris
>> >

>> I just switched 3 machines over to the new way. It works fine. eselect
>> profile set will create the new link in /etc/portage. I figure the
>> biggest issue for me is that I won't be able to mindlessly type vi
>> /etc/make.conf anymore. ;-)
>>

> Ahh... the curse of muscle memory... I bet I'll experience some dumbfounded
> moments for at least one week, staring at an empty vi screen due to muscle
> memory typing /etc/make.conf instead of /etc/portage/make.conf ... :-P
>
> Rgds,

Someone else suggested (or I think they suggested) putting a link at
/etc/make.conf pointing at the new location. That might help with that
problem. I'm just gonna force myself to learn the new location but
like you're worried about I've already done it a couple of times
today!

- Mark

Pandu Poluan 09-11-2012 03:05 AM

stage3/handbook mismatch

On Sep 11, 2012 9:31 AM, "Mark Knecht" <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 6:49 PM, Pandu Poluan <pandu@poluan.info> wrote:

> > On Sep 11, 2012 5:19 AM, "Mark Knecht" <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> I just switched 3 machines over to the new way. It works fine. eselect

> >> profile set will create the new link in /etc/portage. I figure the

> >> biggest issue for me is that I won't be able to mindlessly type vi

> >> /etc/make.conf anymore. ;-)

> > Ahh... the curse of muscle memory... I bet I'll experience some dumbfounded

> > moments for at least one week, staring at an empty vi screen due to muscle

> > memory typing /etc/make.conf instead of /etc/portage/make.conf ... :-P

> > Rgds,

> Someone else suggested (or I think they suggested) putting a link at

> /etc/make.conf pointing at the new location. That might help with that

> problem. I'm just gonna force myself to learn the new location but

> like you're worried about I've already done it a couple of times

> today!

> - Mark

:q! is the menu if the week, if not month, then ;-)

Rgds,