Old 04-15-2008, 03:46 PM
Florian Philipp

Default Bluetooth-Hotspot

Hi list!

I could need some help.

Long story (if you don't want to hear, scroll down):

For six months a year I'm attending a university of cooperative
education and although I pay 1000€ a year for infrastructure and stuff
like that its services for students are a big joke. Especially its
WLAN-hotspot isn't nearly up to the job.

Because I have an UMTS-card my idea was to set up a personal area
network (PAN) via bluetooth and act as a router to support my friends
during the WLAN-outages.

Most of the job is already done but I have problems setting up a
DHCP-server and the network configuration. Because the virtual ethernet
interface only exists when a connection is established, dhcpd doesn't
start from the init-script and, although I haven't tried it yet, normal
network config shouldn't fare any better. When the last client
disconnects, all the configuration is gone and when someone reconnects,
I have to call "ifconfig bnep0 192.168.4.1" again.

Short question:

How do I automate the configuration of network interfaces and related
deamons when the whole interface keeps appearing and disappearing out of
the clear blue sky?

I don't think ifplugd will be up to the job (haven't tried it though).

Thanks in advance!

Florian Philipp

Old 04-15-2008, 08:10 PM
dexters84

I've did this thing a while ago. Bluetooth router is a cool thing,
unfortunatelly only in theory.
To solve Your problem, look in /etc/bluetooth directory and check the
manual of bluez - there are a couple of pre-up and post-up scritps that
solve the problem.
I did manage to get bt router working but my usb dongle was cousing a
lot of problems - long story short - one dongle was not sufficient for
more than two simultanous connections.

Old 04-21-2008, 09:54 AM
Florian Philipp

On Tue, 2008-04-15 at 22:10 +0200, dexters84 wrote:

[correcting top-posting]

> Florian Philipp pisze:
> > Hi list!
> >
> > I could need some help.
> >
> > Long story (if you don't want to hear, scroll down):
> >
> > For six months a year I'm attending a university of cooperative
> > education and although I pay 1000€ a year for infrastructure and stuff
> > like that its services for students are a big joke. Especially its
> > WLAN-hotspot isn't nearly up to the job.
> >
> > Because I have an UMTS-card my idea was to set up a personal area
> > network (PAN) via bluetooth and act as a router to support my friends
> > during the WLAN-outages.
> >
> > Most of the job is already done but I have problems setting up a
> > DHCP-server and the network configuration. Because the virtual ethernet
> > interface only exists when a connection is established, dhcpd doesn't
> > start from the init-script and, although I haven't tried it yet, normal
> > network config shouldn't fare any better. When the last client
> > disconnects, all the configuration is gone and when someone reconnects,
> > I have to call "ifconfig bnep0 192.168.4.1" again.
> >
> > Short question:
> >
> > How do I automate the configuration of network interfaces and related
> > deamons when the whole interface keeps appearing and disappearing out of
> > the clear blue sky?
> >
> > I don't think ifplugd will be up to the job (haven't tried it though).
> >
> > Thanks in advance!
> >
> > Florian Philipp
> >
> I've did this thing a while ago. Bluetooth router is a cool thing,
> unfortunatelly only in theory.
> To solve Your problem, look in /etc/bluetooth directory and check the
> manual of bluez - there are a couple of pre-up and post-up scritps that
> solve the problem.
> I did manage to get bt router working but my usb dongle was cousing a
> lot of problems - long story short - one dongle was not sufficient for
> more than two simultanous connections.

Thanks, you pointed me in the right direction!

The solution is really unobvious but described here:
http://bluez.sourceforge.net/contrib/HOWTO-PAN