Old 09-08-2012, 12:26 PM
Florian Philipp

Default Temporary data storage

Am 08.09.2012 14:13, schrieb meino.cramer@gmx.de:
> Hi,
>
> from Gentoos point of view:
>
> The following place I found, where temporary data are stored:
> /tmp
> /var/tmp
> /run
> /tmp
> /var/log ???
>
> Where else are temprary data stored, which can thrown away when rebooting?
>
> Thank you very much in advance for any help!
> Best regards,
> mcc

What exactly are you trying to do?

As per the filesystem hierarchy standard [1], you should not clear out
/var/tmp on reboots.

Other directories you /might/ clear out:
/var/run
/var/lock

[1] http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html

Regards,
Florian Philipp

Old 09-08-2012, 12:32 PM
Michael Mol

On Sat, Sep 8, 2012 at 8:26 AM, Florian Philipp <lists@binarywings.net> wrote:

Am 08.09.2012 14:13, schrieb meino.cramer@gmx.de:

> Hi,

> *from Gentoos point of view:

> *The following place I found, where temporary data are stored:

> */tmp

> */var/tmp

> */run

> */tmp

> */var/log ???

> *Where else are temprary data stored, which can thrown away when rebooting?

> *Thank you very much in advance for any help!

> *Best regards,

> *mcc

What exactly are you trying to do?

As per the filesystem hierarchy standard [1], you should not clear out

/var/tmp on reboots.

Other directories you /might/ clear out:

/var/run

/var/lock

[1] http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html

Regards,

Florian Philipp

I'd guess he's making a system template image for PXE or cloning.

--
:wq

Old 09-08-2012, 12:59 PM

Michael Mol <mikemol@gmail.com> [12-09-08 14:44]:
> On Sat, Sep 8, 2012 at 8:26 AM, Florian Philipp <lists@binarywings.net>wrote:
>
> > Am 08.09.2012 14:13, schrieb meino.cramer@gmx.de:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > from Gentoos point of view:
> > >
> > > The following place I found, where temporary data are stored:
> > > /tmp
> > > /var/tmp
> > > /run
> > > /tmp
> > > /var/log ???
> > >
> > > Where else are temprary data stored, which can thrown away when
> > rebooting?
> > >
> > > Thank you very much in advance for any help!
> > > Best regards,
> > > mcc
> > >

> > What exactly are you trying to do?
> >
> > As per the filesystem hierarchy standard [1], you should not clear out
> > /var/tmp on reboots.
> >
> > Other directories you /might/ clear out:
> > /var/run
> > /var/lock
> >
> > [1] http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html
> >
> > Regards,
> > Florian Philipp
> >

> I'd guess he's making a system template image for PXE or cloning.
>

> --
> :wq

Hi,

no....I am trying to minimize write cycles on a mmc-card by mounting
tmpfs on those....

As long everything works fine I willing to hurt standards...since this
is "only" a little singleboard computer and no world wide reachable
masterpiece of power server 8)))

Best regards,
mcc

Old 09-08-2012, 03:00 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Sat, 8 Sep 2012 14:59:16 +0200, meino.cramer@gmx.de wrote:

> no....I am trying to minimize write cycles on a mmc-card by mounting
> tmpfs on those....
>
> As long everything works fine I willing to hurt standards...since this
> is "only" a little singleboard computer and no world wide reachable
> masterpiece of power server 8)))

/run is already on tmpfs with recent baselayouts. /tmp can, even should,
be on tmpfs. /var/log definitely should not, do you have another computer
on the network that you can use as a log host?

--
Neil Bothwick

Always be sincere even if you don't mean it.