Old 04-15-2008, 03:20 PM
maxim wexler

Default ck8s ethernet support in 2.6.23-r6 kernel

Hi group,

For AsRock K8-N3 mobo:

From lspci:

00:06.0 Bridge: nVidia Corporation CK8S Ethernet
Controller (rev a2)

But there doesn't seem to be any kernel option
covering this. It's not forcedeth, that one doesn't
work.

Anybody using one of these ethernet devices
successfully?

Maxim

Old 04-15-2008, 07:57 PM
maxim wexler

OK, by a process of elimination, I've decided I need
to configure and install mii.ko to get my ethernet
working.

Also, just noticed this little bit: "udev: renamed
eth0 to eth1". Why did it do that?

Old 04-16-2008, 01:42 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 12:57:43 -0700 (PDT), maxim wexler wrote:

> Also, just noticed this little bit: "udev: renamed
> eth0 to eth1". Why did it do that?

Because you have a udev rule to do this? Take a look
in /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules

--
Neil Bothwick

Procedure: (n.) a method of performing a program sub-task in an
inefficient way by extensively using the stack instead of a GOTO.

Old 04-16-2008, 03:54 PM
maxim wexler

--- Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk> wrote:

> On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 12:57:43 -0700 (PDT), maxim
> wexler wrote:
>
> > Also, just noticed this little bit: "udev: renamed
> > eth0 to eth1". Why did it do that?
>
> Because you have a udev rule to do this? Take a look
> in /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules

Looks like there's two rules pointing to the same
device:

# PCI device 0x10de:0x00df (forcedeth)
SUBSYSTEM=="net", DRIVERS=="?*",
ATTRS{address}=="00:e0:18:99:88:77", NAME="eth0"

# PCI device 0x10de:0x00df (forcedeth)
SUBSYSTEM=="net", DRIVERS=="?*",
ATTR{address}=="00:13:8f:33:32:e2", NAME="eth1"

From a forum I learned to rm the link eth0 in
/etc/init.d and make a new one, eth1 that points to
net.lo. So now the ethernet is up but there's still a
lot of complaining on the boot console, "can't find
eth0" etc.

BTW I was wrong about mii, forcedeth *is* the
appropriate module. The confusion arose because I was
expecting eth0 to be set up.

Maxim

Old 04-16-2008, 04:13 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 08:54:53 -0700 (PDT), maxim wexler wrote:

> > > Also, just noticed this little bit: "udev: renamed
> > > eth0 to eth1". Why did it do that?
> >
> > Because you have a udev rule to do this? Take a look
> > in /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules
> >

> Looks like there's two rules pointing to the same
> device:
>
> # PCI device 0x10de:0x00df (forcedeth)
> SUBSYSTEM=="net", DRIVERS=="?*",
> ATTRS{address}=="00:e0:18:99:88:77", NAME="eth0"
>
> # PCI device 0x10de:0x00df (forcedeth)
> SUBSYSTEM=="net", DRIVERS=="?*",
> ATTR{address}=="00:13:8f:33:32:e2", NAME="eth1"

They are different devices, notice the MAC addresses, but in the same PCI
slot. Have you changed cards at some time. The easiest way out is to
delete the file and let it be recreated for the card you now have.

--
Neil Bothwick

Angular Momentum Makes The World Go 'Round

Old 04-17-2008, 01:56 AM
maxim wexler

--- Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk> wrote:

> renamed
> > >
> > > Because you have a udev rule to do this? Take a
> look
> > > in /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules
> > >

> > Looks like there's two rules pointing to the same
> > device:
> >
> > # PCI device 0x10de:0x00df (forcedeth)
> > SUBSYSTEM=="net", DRIVERS=="?*",
> > ATTRS{address}=="00:e0:18:99:88:77", NAME="eth0"
> >
> > # PCI device 0x10de:0x00df (forcedeth)
> > SUBSYSTEM=="net", DRIVERS=="?*",
> > ATTR{address}=="00:13:8f:33:32:e2", NAME="eth1"
>
> They are different devices, notice the MAC
> addresses, but in the same PCI
> slot. Have you changed cards at some time. The
> easiest way out is to
> delete the file and let it be recreated for the card
> you now have.

Never was a card. This is an on-board ethernet, just
as previously. More background: this is a new mobo and
new video card but the same cpu.

The new combo booted fine, everything mounted but
needed to be tweaked, naturally.

I took the opportunity to replace the 2.6.20-r6 kernel
with the 2.6.23-r6

Somehow, the OS(udev?) still thinks it's using the old
ethernet plus the new one...guessing here.

I noted also a broken runlevel with regard to net.eth0
which I deleted.

Hopefully that's the fix. Should know next boot. But
doesn't explain(at least to me) why eth0 is now
defunct. If all I have is one ethernet port, doesn't
that default to eth0?

mw

Old 04-17-2008, 05:17 AM
Francesco Talamona

On Thursday 17 April 2008, maxim wexler wrote:
> I noted also a broken runlevel with regard to net.eth0
> which I deleted.
>
> Hopefully that's the fix. Should know next boot. But
> doesn't explain(at least to me) why eth0 is now
> defunct. If all I have is one ethernet port, doesn't
> that default to eth0?

No, not if that name is already in use, the message "udev: renamed
eth0 to eth1" is the consequence.

Udev renames the device, so every config file referring to eth0 showed
up errors. If you now delete the file that fixes net names the card
will take first slot and be named eth0.

You'll have to take back that runlevel link.

HTH
Francesco

--
Linux Version 2.6.24-gentoo-r4, Compiled #2 PREEMPT Wed Apr 2 08:07:24
CEST 2008

Old 04-17-2008, 07:43 AM
Neil Bothwick

On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 18:56:16 -0700 (PDT), maxim wexler wrote:

> Never was a card. This is an on-board ethernet, just
> as previously. More background: this is a new mobo and
> new video card but the same cpu.

And the same installation? So as far as the system is concerned, you have
changed the network card (on-board cards appear as PCI devices).

> Somehow, the OS(udev?) still thinks it's using the old
> ethernet plus the new one...guessing here.

No, it thinks you have changed the card, and eth0 was allocated to the
old card.

> Hopefully that's the fix. Should know next boot. But
> doesn't expdefault to eth0?lain(at least to me) why eth0 is now
> defunct. If all I have is one ethernet port, doesn't
> that default to eth0?

Yes, but then udev sees that eth0 is already allocated to another card so
makes this one eth1. Just delete the file as mentioned previously to have
udev forget about the old card and start again with eth0.

--
Neil Bothwick

Accept that some days you're the pigeon, and some days you're the statue.

Old 04-18-2008, 04:26 PM
maxim wexler

> Yes, but then udev sees that eth0 is already
> allocated to another card so
> makes this one eth1. Just delete the file as
> mentioned previously to have
> udev forget about the old card and start again with
> eth0.

What file? Cause now I'm getting this:

localhost heathen # dmesg|grep eth0
eth0: forcedeth.c: subsystem: 01849:00df bound to
0000:00:05.0
udev: renamed network interface eth0 to eth2

mw

Old 04-18-2008, 09:44 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 09:26:34 -0700 (PDT), maxim wexler wrote:

> > Yes, but then udev sees that eth0 is already
> > allocated to another card so
> > makes this one eth1. Just delete the file as
> > mentioned previously

> What file?

The one in /etc/udev/rules.d

--
Neil Bothwick

"Come on! It's a whole new life out there!"
"Oh, no. Not another one!"