Old 04-15-2008, 03:18 PM
"Kevin O'Gorman"

Default Recommend a program for line art and text

On 1/30/07, Hans-Werner Hilse <hilse@web.de> wrote:
Hi,

On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 15:26:37 -0800 "Kevin O'Gorman"
<kogorman@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've tried creating diagrams in xfig.**It works fine for my LaTeX

> documents, but does not export well to PNG for use in web pages.

Hm, what do you mean by saying "not so well"? If it's just that it
isn't antialiased as good as you'd like it to be, then just export it

at higher resolution and scale it down with some pix-image tool
afterwards.

Aside from that, it really depends on what diagrams you're creating.
Personally, I turned away from xfig a bit, but that's mostly due to its

interface. I like dia for flow-charts and similar stuff and inkscape
for more graphic intensive stuff.

-hwh
Fooling with bitmap resolutions gives me a headache, and I havent' figured out

how to make it look good on screen and also good when printed.* My students
print my pages a lot.

Thanks for Inkscape, tho -- it is perfect for me.* I like the interface, and since it saves
in SVG format, I get web pages without the intermediate bitmap bother. The

results are much better

++ kevin

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD

Old 04-16-2008, 08:57 AM
"Liviu Andronic"

On Tue, Jan 30, 2007 at 1:26 AM, Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@gmail.com> wrote:
> Should I use something else to author my diagrams?

You might try Dia or grace.
Liviu

Wed Apr 16 12:30:01 2008