Old 09-11-2012, 03:15 AM
Pandu Poluan

Default Heads-up; bash now uses "readline" USE flag

On Sep 11, 2012 5:58 AM, "Neil Bothwick" <neil@digimed.co.uk> wrote:

> On Mon, 10 Sep 2012 15:19:38 -0400, Walter Dnes wrote:

> > > I'd rather have that that an unusable shell. As was noted elsewhere

> > > this weekend, even if a USE flag is set but renamed, -* screws it

> > > up.

> > * So no matter what I do or don't do, a developer can find a way to

> > screw me up.

> Yes, but since the devs know far more about the workings of the system

> and the interrelationships of its components than I do, I prefer to work

> with them than against them.

> I prefer to start with a known, working profile and tweak it. Rather than

> deliberately break everything and then apply my own fixes just to avoid

> the odd chance anyone else accidentally breaking it for me.

+1 to this.

In my previous employment, I used Gentoo in production environment. There's a gaggle of USE flags in make.conf, mostly of the "-" variety.

But I stay clear of "-*" ... that thing's too eeevil for me... :-)

Rgds,

Old 09-11-2012, 04:14 AM
"Walter Dnes"

On Tue, Sep 11, 2012 at 10:15:47AM +0700, Pandu Poluan wrote

> But I stay clear of "-*" ... that thing's too eeevil for me... :-)

I realize "-*" requires extra work, and I'm willing to do it. That
includes finding solutions to obscure problems. Maybe it's because I'm a
control freak.

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org>

Old 09-11-2012, 09:04 AM
Philip Webb

120911 Walter Dnes wrote:
> I realize "-*" requires extra work, and I'm willing to do it.
> That includes finding solutions to obscure problems.

I've been using '-*' to begin the list of flags in make.conf forever;
I do have a list of the flags I've en/disabled & why.
The only time I've been ambushed was this week on a new machine,
when the devs changed the status of 'cxx' for Gcc-4.5.4 without a news item;
it was fairly straightforward, if time-consuming, to fix the problem.
I do try to notice when 'emerge -pv' marks a change of flag.

SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb