Old 09-07-2012, 05:21 PM
Samuraiii

Default Broken GCC

On 2012-09-07 18:09, Michael Mol wrote:

On Fri, Sep 7, 2012 at 11:57 AM, Samuraiii <samurai.no.dojo@gmail.com> wrote:

On 2012-09-07 17:44, Michael Mol wrote:

On Fri, Sep 7, 2012 at 11:35 AM, Samuraiii <samurai.no.dojo@gmail.com>
wrote:

On 2012-09-07 11:49, Andrey Moshbear wrote:

On Fri, Sep 7, 2012 at 5:47 AM, Andrey Moshbear <andrey.vul@gmail.com>
wrote:

On Fri, Sep 7, 2012 at 4:46 AM, Samuraiii <samurai.no.dojo@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello
yesterday I probably broke my GCC

Problem is following:
When i try to emerge ANY package it fails with this :

checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether we are cross compiling... configure: error: in
`/tmp/portage/www-client/links-2.6/work/links-2.6':
configure: error: cannot run C compiled programs.
If you meant to cross compile, use `--host'.
See `config.log' for more details

Can you post the contents of config.log to a pastebin and link to it in a
reply?

Specifically, .../portage/www-client/links-2.6/work/links-2.6/config.log

Here it is http://pastebin.com/s59mU9fm

--
Samuraiii
e-mail: samurai.no.dojo@gmail.com

conftest.c:11:19: fatal error: /usr/local/include/stdio.h: Permission
denied

BillK

What next?
ls -l /usr/local/include/stdio.h
ls: cannot access /usr/local/include/stdio.h: No such file or directory

Any idea why you'd have anything under /usr/local? On Gentoo, that's
usually unnecessary. (Or always unnecessary, if you care to make a
personal overlay to have your personal packages integrated
properly...not that hard, actually)

That wasn't intentionally made...

Intentional or not, do you have any idea how it might have gotten
there? Or what you did that might have caused things to look there?

If we knew more, we could tell you more about how to fix it, and even
how better to do what you had been trying to do.

I must admit that this is my lame fault:

I had some issues with pidgin-otr/libotr so I stupidly thought that
I can get me latest version myslef.

*But* when I run configure; make; make install it wasn't working as
expected so I just stupidly tried to issue make uninstall and that
probably made this problem....

I feel so embarrased

Samuraiii

e-mail: samurai.no.dojo@gmail.com

GnuPG key ID: 0x80C752EA
(obtainable on http://pgp.mit.edu)

Full copy
of public timestamp block
signatures id- (from ) is included in header of html.

Old 09-07-2012, 05:24 PM
Samuraiii

[...]

Indeed. The question here is what's more concerning: the use of
/usr/local in the default gcc arguments or not having root:root 644
for the files in a global include dir.

I was thinkig if its possible to "half-reinstall" system by preserving (read
making backup) my hand modified config and then download stage3 untar it to
/ (from live cd) , restore config, sync, emerge -NuDe @world and reboot?

I've done that, and it can work, but you're probably better off
reinstalling gcc via binpkgs. Someone probably has a repository that
matches your configuration enough for the purpose.

Are there any tips for gentoo amd64 with core2duo?

Google doesn't seem to give any usable answers (I don't need
configure binhost yet)

Old 09-07-2012, 05:29 PM
Michael Mol

On Fri, Sep 7, 2012 at 1:21 PM, Samuraiii <samurai.no.dojo@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2012-09-07 18:09, Michael Mol wrote:
>
> On Fri, Sep 7, 2012 at 11:57 AM, Samuraiii <samurai.no.dojo@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> On 2012-09-07 17:44, Michael Mol wrote:
>
> On Fri, Sep 7, 2012 at 11:35 AM, Samuraiii <samurai.no.dojo@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> On 2012-09-07 13:04, William Kenworthy wrote:
>
> On Fri, 2012-09-07 at 12:46 +0200, Samuraiii wrote:
>
> On 2012-09-07 11:49, Andrey Moshbear wrote:
>
> On Fri, Sep 7, 2012 at 5:47 AM, Andrey Moshbear <andrey.vul@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> On Fri, Sep 7, 2012 at 4:46 AM, Samuraiii <samurai.no.dojo@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hello
> yesterday I probably broke my GCC
>
> Problem is following:
> When i try to emerge ANY package it fails with this :

> checking for suffix of executables...
> checking whether we are cross compiling... configure: error: in
> `/tmp/portage/www-client/links-2.6/work/links-2.6':
> configure: error: cannot run C compiled programs.
> If you meant to cross compile, use `--host'.
> See `config.log' for more details
>
> Can you post the contents of config.log to a pastebin and link to it in a
> reply?
>
> Specifically, .../portage/www-client/links-2.6/work/links-2.6/config.log
>
> Here it is http://pastebin.com/s59mU9fm
>
> --
> Samuraiii
> e-mail: samurai.no.dojo@gmail.com
> GnuPG key ID: 0x80C752EA (obtainable on http://pgp.mit.edu)
> Full copy of public timestamp block signatures id-15719 (from
> 2012-09-07 06:00:07) is included in header of html.
>
> conftest.c:11:19: fatal error: /usr/local/include/stdio.h: Permission
> denied
>

> BillK
>

> What next?
> ls -l /usr/local/include/stdio.h
> ls: cannot access /usr/local/include/stdio.h: No such file or directory
>
> Any idea why you'd have anything under /usr/local? On Gentoo, that's
> usually unnecessary. (Or always unnecessary, if you care to make a
> personal overlay to have your personal packages integrated
> properly...not that hard, actually)
>

> That wasn't intentionally made...
>
> Intentional or not, do you have any idea how it might have gotten
> there? Or what you did that might have caused things to look there?
>
> If we knew more, we could tell you more about how to fix it, and even
> how better to do what you had been trying to do.
>

> I must admit that this is my lame fault:
>
> I had some issues with pidgin-otr/libotr so I stupidly thought that I can
> get me latest version myslef.
> *But* when I run configure; make; make install it wasn't working as expected
> so I just stupidly tried to issue make uninstall and that probably made this
> problem....

Yeah, it was probably the 'make uninstall' that revealed the issue.
The 'make install' didn't help.

> I feel so embarrased

Bah. Pretty sure everyone expected something like this.

(But would you mind not using whitespace to quote previous
conversations? It looks like crap when it gets collapsed to
plaintext.)

--
:wq

Old 09-07-2012, 05:38 PM
Andrey Moshbear

On Fri, Sep 7, 2012 at 1:24 PM, Samuraiii <samurai.no.dojo@gmail.com> wrote:

> Are there any tips for gentoo amd64 with core2duo?
> Google doesn't seem to give any usable answers (I don't need configure
> binhost yet)

While I can make a binpkg for gcc:{4,5,4.6,4.7} or glibc-2.15-r2 on my
c2d-penryn laptop, my adsl upload rate is pretty slow, so it'll take a
while to upload it to my VPS.

In terms of guides, a 5-second googling showed up:
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Binary_package_guide
http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Using_Portage_BINHOST

Old 09-07-2012, 09:03 PM
Samuraiii

On 2012-09-07 19:38, Andrey Moshbear wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 7, 2012 at 1:24 PM, Samuraiii <samurai.no.dojo@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Are there any tips for gentoo amd64 with core2duo?
>> Google doesn't seem to give any usable answers (I don't need configure
>> binhost yet)
> While I can make a binpkg for gcc:{4,5,4.6,4.7} or glibc-2.15-r2 on my
> c2d-penryn laptop, my adsl upload rate is pretty slow, so it'll take a
> while to upload it to my VPS.
>
> In terms of guides, a 5-second googling showed up:
> https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Binary_package_guide
> http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Using_Portage_BINHOST

I have an idea waht about make chrooted mini install just to compile gcc
glibc and binutils... wouldn't take so long time than upload or emerge
-NuDe @world...

--
Samuraiii
e-mail: samurai.no.dojo@gmail.com <mailto:samurai.no.dojo@gmail.com>

Old 09-08-2012, 12:33 AM
Andrey Moshbear

On Fri, Sep 7, 2012 at 5:03 PM, Samuraiii <samurai.no.dojo@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2012-09-07 19:38, Andrey Moshbear wrote:
>> On Fri, Sep 7, 2012 at 1:24 PM, Samuraiii <samurai.no.dojo@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Are there any tips for gentoo amd64 with core2duo?
>>> Google doesn't seem to give any usable answers (I don't need configure
>>> binhost yet)
>> While I can make a binpkg for gcc:{4,5,4.6,4.7} or glibc-2.15-r2 on my
>> c2d-penryn laptop, my adsl upload rate is pretty slow, so it'll take a
>> while to upload it to my VPS.
>>
>> In terms of guides, a 5-second googling showed up:
>> https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Binary_package_guide
>> http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Using_Portage_BINHOST
>>
> I have an idea waht about make chrooted mini install just to compile gcc
> glibc and binutils... wouldn't take so long time than upload or emerge
> -NuDe @world...

Download stage1, chroot into it, and run
/usr/portage/scripts/bootstrap.sh, then exit the chroot and copy
usr/include recursively.
However, you will still need to do emerge -e @world because the rest
of /usr/include may still be dysfunctional.

Also, -D -N -u is redundant when combined with -e. -e implies -D and
-N -u is pointless when -e is used, since everything is already
included.

Old 09-08-2012, 12:08 PM
Samuraiii

On 2012-09-08 02:33, Andrey Moshbear wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 7, 2012 at 5:03 PM, Samuraiii <samurai.no.dojo@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> While I can make a binpkg for gcc:{4,5,4.6,4.7} or glibc-2.15-r2 on my
>>> c2d-penryn laptop, my adsl upload rate is pretty slow, so it'll take a
>>> while to upload it to my VPS.
>>>
>>> In terms of guides, a 5-second googling showed up:
>>> https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Binary_package_guide
>>> http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Using_Portage_BINHOST
>>>
>> I have an idea waht about make chrooted mini install just to compile gcc
>> glibc and binutils... wouldn't take so long time than upload or emerge
>> -NuDe @world...
> Download stage1, chroot into it, and run
> /usr/portage/scripts/bootstrap.sh, then exit the chroot and copy
> usr/include recursively.
> However, you will still need to do emerge -e @world because the rest
> of /usr/include may still be dysfunctional.
>
> Also, -D -N -u is redundant when combined with -e. -e implies -D and
> -N -u is pointless when -e is used, since everything is already
> included.

After building, installig gcc glibc and binutils packages still no
luck... I thing there must be some config messed rather than package.

--
Samuraiii
e-mail: samurai.no.dojo@gmail.com <mailto:samurai.no.dojo@gmail.com>
GnuPG key ID: 0x80C752EA
<http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?search=0x80C752EA&op=vindex&fingerprint=on& exact=on>
(obtainable on http://pgp.mit.edu)
Full copy of public timestamp block <http://publictimestamp.org>
signatures id-15728 (from 2012-09-08 09:00:06) is included in header of
html.