Old 09-05-2012, 09:42 PM
"Roland Häder"

Default Fix for getting libxml2 compiled!

Hi all,

I finally got libxml2 compiled, first I had to do this:

# emerge expat
# emerge python
# cd /usr/portage/dev-lang/python/
# emerge python-2.7.3-r2.ebuild
# cd -

This makes sure that libexpat is there. Now the package is still not compiling because of a missing .so file, see this:

# cd /usr/lib/python2.7/xml/parsers/
# ln -sf /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/_xmlplus/parsers/pyexpat.so .

If I don't do this a python script in /var/tmp/portage/dev-libs/libxml2-2.8.0_rc1/work/libxml2-2.8.0/python-2.7/ called generate.py (you have to call this python2.7 ./generate.py) will fail.

Hope this saves someones endless hours.

Regards,
Roland

PS: There are a lot warnings compiling libxml2, you may want to fix them.

I have used this to build libxml2: (temporary)
USE="-ipv6 readline -debug -doc -examples -icu lzma python -static-libs -test"

Old 09-06-2012, 02:56 PM
Doug Hunley

On Wed, Sep 5, 2012 at 5:42 PM, "Roland Häder" <r.haeder@web.de> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I finally got libxml2 compiled, first I had to do this:
>
> # emerge expat
> # emerge python
> # cd /usr/portage/dev-lang/python/
> # emerge python-2.7.3-r2.ebuild
> # cd -
>
> This makes sure that libexpat is there. Now the package is still not compiling because of a missing .so file, see this:
>
> # cd /usr/lib/python2.7/xml/parsers/
> # ln -sf /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/_xmlplus/parsers/pyexpat.so .
>
> If I don't do this a python script in /var/tmp/portage/dev-libs/libxml2-2.8.0_rc1/work/libxml2-2.8.0/python-2.7/ called generate.py (you have to call this python2.7 ./generate.py) will fail.
>
> Hope this saves someones endless hours.
>
> Regards,
> Roland
>
> PS: There are a lot warnings compiling libxml2, you may want to fix them.
>
> I have used this to build libxml2: (temporary)
> USE="-ipv6 readline -debug -doc -examples -icu lzma python -static-libs -test"

Weird, I'm on 2.8.0-r1 and didn't have to do any hoop jumping to get
there (~amd64).

--
Douglas J Hunley (doug.hunley@gmail.com)
Twitter: @hunleyd Web:

Old 09-07-2012, 06:04 PM
Doug Hunley

On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 11:32 AM, "Roland Häder" <r.haeder@web.de> wrote:
>> Weird, I'm on 2.8.0-r1 and didn't have to do any hoop jumping to get
>> there (~amd64).
> Yes, it is really weird thing. :/ I use x86 (i686, my laptop does only support 32 bit; it is a Thinkpad R51).

Did you check b.g.o to see if anyone else files this issue? I suppose
it could be a USE flag difference, or maybe a dependent software
package version difference..